Style
    Boxing, Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training tips and drills for a newbie?

Male, 18, average build, new to the boards. I used to train in boxing, some Wing Chun, and Muay Thai, but I haven't in around 4 years. I would like to get back into it, but I have little to no expendable income. Ex. Next week I will begin training in western boxing with Cecil Pettigrew in a storage facility due to the fact that it's $25 a month. I have tried Jiu Jitsu, but I suck. What I would like are some tips on: increasing striking speed, a standing guard, getting back into proper shape, and making openings in someone's tables on the ground, and, perhaps most importantly, footwork. Also, I would like to know more about meet-ups. Anything helps, thanks in advance.

Style
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't talk about meetups without knowing where you are. Also, there have been some threads about improving overall fitness. Check 'em out when you get a chance. Welcome here.

Style
    Boxing, Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. I live in northwestern Oklahoma. Is there a specific board for threads about meetups?

Style
    Taiji/Hsingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Search for 'throwdown'. As for the rest, check out the blue box down the bottom of the page, it's awesome.

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read finding a good school in this area - and if your boxing coach is decent, listen and train. After you have some experience you'll make more sense out of advice anyway.

Check out this: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66

and be sure to read the stickies, it will save you time. Oh and read through the stickies in Noob and elsewhere - you'll be way more educated and it will help avoiding sounding like ezerb, the recent dope of the site.

Look down the thread titles, there's been several that address your issues.

That said, my fave jab drill is done to the mirror, 3x a day, 30 punches alternating hands, punching toward your own face. Watch hooking; keep the elbow moving toward center line, not wobbling all over. Go slow enough not to **** up your form, then speed it up. When it's hard to see your hands you'll be getting fast. I did this for maybe 3 months* and it gave me the basis of a killer jab. A good Kajukenbo/boxer taught me this one and many a nose or forehead I've cracked!

*edit - actually I still do it sometimes, it's a great drill
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez