223561 Bullies, 3922 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Introducing the Taser sword!

Have you ever worried about self-defense at home? On the street? In the bathroom stall? While kung-fu fighting?

Well look no further! Introducing the Taser Sword! Your enemies will post lamentations to Twitter then drive away from you very quickly! Behold~!

(Reposted from Mar. 5 as server ate my post...)

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does this jackass realize that he's sending current through his heart when he does the double stun sword test?

For someone pretty good with electronics, he's apparently unaware of how many times he just barely missed fibrillating himself.

That would be funny, watching him drop dead of cardiac arrest from testing his fantastic invention.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 6:08pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Dog Brothers have taught me that electrical blades are a better idea in theory than in practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 7:50pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Does this jackass realize that he's sending current through his heart when he does the double stun sword test?

For someone pretty good with electronics, he's apparently unaware of how many times he just barely missed fibrillating himself.

That would be funny, watching him drop dead of cardiac arrest from testing his fantastic invention.
    Sorry, need to chime in here. TASERs and defibrillators deliver electricity two different ways. This:
    http://www.braidwoodinquiry.ca/prese...in_panescu.pdf
    is a study of this. The odds of a TASER inducing VF is virtually zero.

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 8:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
    Sorry, need to chime in here. TASERs and defibrillators deliver electricity two different ways. This:
    http://www.braidwoodinquiry.ca/prese...in_panescu.pdf
    is a study of this. The odds of a TASER inducing VF is virtually zero.
    That's for TASER. Stun Sword is not TASER, it is TASER circuitry connected to a long conductor. Normally TASER current would go from the point of contact to ground, but that's not what's happening with bright boy's last "test".

Taking two such live blades and holding them together against a third is creating a circuit idealized as follows:

As you can see, any significant amperage in this configuration goes directly through the heart.

Current through the heart is current through the heart, no matter what device is delivering it, the heart will contract and you may die.

Please excuse my ideal current sources, mspaint is my artistic best and I did not have time build this in SPICE.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/19/2013 8:31pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. OK, I understand the drawing, and how to complete a circuit. This is from the comments on the original Youtube video by the creator of the sword:

"It wouldnt damage my heart because its all volts no amps. And when i used the two swords it hurt my hands and wrist, it jolted my nerves. I used a low level stun gun so it will hurt but not do damage. (The) sword was made to look cool but not have any realistic purpose."

BTW, your schematic was just fine.

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 8:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops you know I had to watch the video again, when he does the "test" only the one blade is actually charged, the other two are just regular blades.

In that case, just take out the two idealized current sources and you still have a path to ground that directly traverses upper chest and heart muscle.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/19/2013 8:38pm at .

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 8:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
    Wow. OK, I understand the drawing, and how to complete a circuit. This is from the comments on the original Youtube video by the creator of the sword:

"It wouldnt damage my heart because its all volts no amps. And when i used the two swords it hurt my hands and wrist, it jolted my nerves. I used a low level stun gun so it will hurt but not do damage. (The) sword was made to look cool but not have any realistic purpose."

BTW, your schematic was just fine.
    It only takes a few milliamps (AC) or a few hundred mA (DC) through the heart to kill a grown man, so it'd be interesting to see exactly how much current was passing through his chest. According to the PDF you posted the TASER models generate anywhere from 0.15A to several dozen amps DC..which certainly seems to fit the bill.

Obviously it's not "no amps" because he was in intense pain for the moment he did the "test" and it sent him to the floor. By comparison, a truly high voltage/low amp shock is the kind you get from static charge on a door handle....certainly won't floor you.

Many amateur electronics guys will claim (to their grave) that DC can't hurt you....they're dead wrong, so apologies for that pun and this Wiki quote:

A domestic power supply voltage (110 or 230 V), 50 or 60 Hz alternating current (AC) through the chest for a fraction of a second may induce ventricular fibrillation at currents as low as >30 mA.[3] With direct current (DC), 300 to 500 mA is required.[4] If the current has a direct pathway to the heart (e.g., via a cardiac catheter or other kind of electrode), a much lower current of less than 1 mA (AC or DC) can cause fibrillation. If not immediately treated by defibrillation, fibrillation is usually lethal because all of the heart muscle cells move independently instead of in the coordinated pulses needed to pump blood and maintain circulation.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/19/2013 8:56pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 2:59pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no electrician. I was an Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Basic Life Support instructor for many years before going into Law Enforcement, where I was trained to use a TASER. This made me go back through old textbooks and notes.

Because of the natural impedance from human tissue, 10-50 Joules are needed to even enter the range of causing cardiac ventricular fibrillation. TASER produces 0.3 Joules. Most commercial stun guns produce 0.35 Joules on contact.

Plus, there have been numerous tests conducted at hospitals, the first being in 1971 at St. Josephs in California. None of these tests with these electrical devices caused any cardiac disrhythmias.

Even though metal was being held, the charge delivered would not have been enough to overcome the body's natural resistances to cause cardiac problems.

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 3:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using joules as a reference point kind of confuses the issue because a joule in electrical terms is time-dependent (like power/wattage). I guarantee you if he held the two swords together long enough (several seconds), he'd reach 50 joules of energy passing into his body. Note that in the actual video he can't even do that, 1 second is enough. So joules = current + time and theoretically if forced to hold on he'd reach it after a certain number seconds.

The current generated from this double sword test overcame human tissue resistance to a fairly moderate degree. The (painful) shock he receives is at least several amps of DC current going through his arm muscles and into his chest muscles, down to his feet to ground. The current probably doesn't go straight into his heart muscle, but just misses it by a few inches.

You're probably right in that it never passes directly through the heart, but more the general chest muscles, which makes a big difference.

Still, you can tell this kid has quite a current rushing through him BECAUSE of his natural impedance...if the shock were low current you wouldn't see him drop like he does.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/20/2013 3:34pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast