Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 2:48pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How has this been going? Based on the time frame you mentioned your competition is coming up pretty soon. How has your prep been going?

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 3:45am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    How has this been going? Based on the time frame you mentioned your competition is coming up pretty soon. How has your prep been going?
    Sang had his knee tweaked a bit in his training at his gym, so he rested a bit with light training, then had it tweaked again (we're at different gyms in the same city) so I think, from last I heard, he's out of the comp next week :(. I've also got some weird **** happening with my left shoulder joint, and if it doesn't get itself right in the next few days I can't afford to have ligament tear and be out of training (and work). I'm also dead poor atm, so can't even afford to meet stupid IBJJF no-gi clothing regulation, so aiming for gi/absolute instead. COME ON SHOULDER!

He has a very good guillotine off this chain, though, it's fast, I think I've avoided it, but we haven't rolled much since he did it, mainly drilled a heap of stuff between each other in open mats. The foot on the hip is really good for distance control, much more effective than I thought it would be, and harder with the counters to easily just ignore the attacks and try and pass instead.

He said he's been having good success with the sweep and guillotine combo.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 8:08am

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah most likely out of this comp, i might do something stupid and sign up for it next week if my knee is feeling good. It really doesn't help that the new tournament rule means i have to buy all new no gi clothing, buy a personal membership as well as the comp fee.

Success wise its been all about the hip bump to technical standup to pass or arm up guilotine, and armdrag to triangle.

I've been nailing that guilotine combo even in the gi against some pretty good guys. I wouldn't get this guilotine on them from butterfly in a million years yet they don't seem to defend it well in the positional transition.

The armdrag to triangle works well. I have a nasty triangle, it was basically the only submission i used to blue and yet people stopped giving me that one arm in trigger position. My success rate with triangles has probably doubled in the last month.

Failure wise - i really wanted to link the two chains together into a super chain. Armdrag - hipbump - Tstand - Guilotine. Unfortunately i don't get the right reaction from the armdrag. I want my opponent to lift his hip and body weight a little when he pulls it back but everyone is just moving the arm, it didn't work as expected.

Also, DKJr's counters to the Tstand up counters. Maybe its the calibre of my training partners but they are not going for them. I either get the stand up unchallenged, or they stuff it right at the beginning with their weight. I really want to try out the triangle one but have not had the opportunity.

By the way Miyagi. That guy who gave me trouble is a pro MMA fighter, i saw him win on Rise a few weeks ago. Same weight class as i'll be when i start fighting so i'm bound to get another crack at him.
    Last edited by Sang; 4/18/2013 8:12am at .
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 12:29pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to force them to back up and away from you when you armdrag then you have to hip out to the same side as the arm you are dragging so that even if they defeat the armdrag they are still at risk of you taking their back unless they come up to block.

So, instead of just trying to move them when you armdrag, put extra emphasis on moving yourself as well so that the armdrag becomes more a method for catapulting you towards their back. They will then HAVE to raise their upper body up some to prevent you from just wrapping around their back and climbing up them.

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 12:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    Not the best audio or transitions because I was in a rush to get out, but let me know if you have a question on something specific and I can speak to it.
    Cool vid. Nice options. I do a little variation of this. If my intent is to submit off my back I'll do chains similar to yours. The idea is to get under opponent's center of gravity to sweep or lock.

However, I have run into a lot of competitors that like to snatch up that foot on the hip and f with it. I do that myself actually. Also, many people will sit back hard and resist you loading them in any fashion.

So there is another direction to consider here - forward. To work that, I use the same setup, except instead of the foot in the hip to open them up and get your hips under them, I step down into a butterfly hook with the same foot. I put weight on the foot and drive into them, driving my foot to the floor. From there you have forward pressure knee cutter passes, driving into mount or 3/4 mount, or if they block you forward a quick guillotine sitting. Also from the driving forward position you can grab the opposite arm overhook and chase them with that butterfly hook even if they start running from you and finish the butterfly sweep on the opposite side you showed.

I think between your vid and those options in a forward direction there are plenty of options to work with. I also like to work opposing movements in tandem to deal with guys with good base.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123