Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 9:38pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've designed a couple of drills to help me with the muscle memory that I'm running through a dozen times before each class:
    1. Armdrag > opponent pulls arm back, weight shifts slightly back > hip bump as they move back> Opponent bases out to stop it > switch hand position and technical stand up before opponent can put all their weight on me > opponent drives forward to stop the sweep > arm up Marcelo guilotine.
    2. Armdrag > opponent locks arm tight not giving any movement > opposite armdrag > opponent pulls arm back > tap through triangle and control posture.

Open mat training of take downs is a no go at my school, it is so busy we barely have room for ground work. I get kicked in the head by some flailing limb once a day as it is. Miyagi and I will be working a basic takedown chain once a week that might be enough though.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll do a video on combos involving standing in base.

Attempt to stand in base they bull rush you-> push knee to guillotine or triangle.

Attempt to stand in base they grab your leg near knee-> omoplata

Attempt to stand in base they grab your ankle-> butterfly hook, grab triceps, pull head down, sweep.

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 11:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    I'll do a video on combos involving standing in base.

Attempt to stand in base they bull rush you-> push knee to guillotine or triangle.

Attempt to stand in base they grab your leg near knee-> omoplata

Attempt to stand in base they grab your ankle-> butterfly hook, grab triceps, pull head down, sweep.
    Wow, I didn't even consider those further options.. thank you.

Butterfly sweep, triangles and omoplatas are my go to attacks too. Looking forward to the video.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 12:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do a simple version of the standup sweep submit.

Apply the standup which either gets you out or as he pushes forwards to tackle you back down you shoot for the kimora. Half defended kimoras give you a sweep attempt. Defended sweeps give you a stand up attempt. And so on .Grind untill you get something.

For MMA it is a bit more important because if he is defending he is not hitting you.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 8:06pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not the best audio or transitions because I was in a rush to get out, but let me know if you have a question on something specific and I can speak to it.
    Last edited by DKJr; 3/21/2013 8:34pm at .

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 2:12am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not the best audio or transitions because I was in a rush to get out, but let me know if you have a question on something specific and I can speak to it.
    Oh man, that's a really cool chain, so much going on. THanks for putting that together, wonder if Sang saw this before open mat tonight >.>;.

So with the head tie, do you not have to worry about the counter posture/shucking of that tie and leg drag from opponent setting up a pass?
    Last edited by Mr.Miyagi; 3/22/2013 2:28am at .

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 8:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The audio is fine, thanks so much for the great content. I was running into each of these scenarios through training, I especially had trouble when they grabbed the ankle of the leg coming out. That butterfly sweep is clever.

Miyagi and I will drill the crap out of it each week along with the sit out and arm drag chain drills we did tonight. My instructor approves of the arm drag chain to technical standup drill he sees me doing, he's not as impressed with Aesopian's reverse omoplata though.
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 8:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    We do a simple version of the standup sweep submit.

Apply the standup which either gets you out or as he pushes forwards to tackle you back down you shoot for the kimora. Half defended kimoras give you a sweep attempt. Defended sweeps give you a stand up attempt. And so on .Grind untill you get something.

For MMA it is a bit more important because if he is defending he is not hitting you.
    Do you mind elaborating on the defended kimora giving the stand up?

If i understand this correctly; if we are pulling the right leg out to standup and he drives forward to grab that leg we use a kimora on his left arm much like DKJr's omoplata counter. By half counter you mean he rolls forward to relieve pressure, but not sure how the fully defended kimora works in our favor.

I know your gym makes this style of ground work its specialty, I'm interested to know any other tips you have on this topic.
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 8:43am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Oh man, that's a really cool chain, so much going on. THanks for putting that together, wonder if Sang saw this before open mat tonight >.>;.

So with the head tie, do you not have to worry about the counter posture/shucking of that tie and leg drag from opponent setting up a pass?
    Yeah but to shuck what's he got to do? Not hold you down thus giving you the space to get up. It's simple and hard to stop.

Now of course if they beat the collar tie, and get the foot off the hip, well then time to get better at that control lol. I'll also abandon back to closed or I play a pretty decent feet on hips open guard.

Glad you guys enjoy it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast