Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/06/2013 4:48pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Age Minimum On Belts.

After reading this little blurb (http://ubbt.squarespace.com/our-blog...-belts-to.html), I started to wonder how many arts besides BJJ have a minimum age on brown and black belts? Can anyone from the other arts chime in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2013 6:32pm

Style: Tabimina Balintawak

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either you have the skill or you dont. You can either hang with a given belt or you cant. If youre 15 and can give brown or black belts a run for their money, then you probably should wear a brown belt. So how many 15 year olds can hang with a brown belt? If one is so naturally talented to get that good in such a short time, then age is irrelevant. Cannot hang? No brown belt, regardless of age. Can hang? Great, heres the belt, regardless of age.

If instructors handed "rank" based simply on skill, then the issue with deflation of the meaning of a belt wouldnt exist. Making age limits wont solve any problem. Just stick with performance as a standard...

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 2:29am

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is that we have *seven* and *six* year olds being handed black belts. Can you honestly tell me that a six or seven year old can honestly hang with an adult in a fight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 3:02am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judo has restrictions on the age one can get a brown or black belt, but they seem to vary from country to country.

i recently found out that some competitors in the olympics have been brown belts, due to age restrictions (and if they can deal with not wearing a black belt, so can little timmy as far as i'm concerned.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 3:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a related question. If a kid starts training BJJ when they're just a squirt, is it common for them to be promoted higher than blue belt when they turn 16? I'm pretty sure I've heard of kids going straight to purple but I'm wondering how common that is.

I've been curious about that lately because I watch the kids in my son's class. When I look at where some of the 10 year olds are, I know they'll be fucking animals by the time they're 16 if they don't quit. Way above blue belt level. Do you guys have any experience with this?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 3:29am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I have a related question. If a kid starts training BJJ when they're just a squirt, is it common for them to be promoted higher than blue belt when they turn 16? I'm pretty sure I've heard of kids going straight to purple but I'm wondering how common that is.

I've been curious about that lately because I watch the kids in my son's class. When I look at where some of the 10 year olds are, I know they'll be fucking animals by the time they're 16 if they don't quit. Way above blue belt level. Do you guys have any experience with this?
    I never heard of a teenager jumping over blue straight to purple, but I do know of a few who got their purple a year or less after receiving their blue belt.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 3:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I never heard of a teenager jumping over blue straight to purple, but I do know of a few who got their purple a year or less after receiving their blue belt.
    Interesting. Makes sense. I think I've heard of that happening but if you haven't I guess it isn't common.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 3:41am

Style: Tabimina Balintawak

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
    The problem is that we have *seven* and *six* year olds being handed black belts. Can you honestly tell me that a six or seven year old can honestly hang with an adult in a fight?
    Obviously not; that was my whole point. Award belts based on performance and there wont be an issue with kids age and belts. When you can hang with the brown belts, you get a brown belt. Six year olds would never get brown belts because they cant hang with brown belts. Simple quality control...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 3:50am

Style: Karate, w/ a side of judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My karate instructor has an age limit of 16 for black belt, although he hasn't promoted anyone under 18 to black belt at this point unless you count two 15 year olds he promoted to junior black belt. Those two will be eligible to test for full black belt when they are 16, but they will have to be able to pass the same test an adult would have to pass. Still, I wouldn't mind if we bumped that requirement up to 18. The thing to remember, though, is that a black belt ranking means different things in different arts, different styles, and different cultures.

In Japan, they tend to consider shodan (1st degree black) a rank that simply means that you understand your basics, so it isn't all that difficult to achieve. For example, I know a guy (who is a great martial artist, I will grant) who earned shodan in Shindo Muso-Ryu Jodo AND shodan in a branch of Shorin-Ryu in one year when he went to live in Japan for a while.

Outside of Japan, though, shodan is often elevated to a prestigious level and made to be difficult to attain. The problem with that is that everyone still has a different expectation of what shodan should signify. In BJJ and judo--competitive combat sports--shodan signifies that you can hang with other shodans in competition (although that wasn't the original purpose), so you can maintain a fairly level expectation of skill for that rank. In arts that don't have that competitive focus, though, there isn't nearly as much cohesiveness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 11:36am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ming beat me to naming Judo. I believe most Judo orgs in the US have a youth belt system for under 17 year olds, and (at least at my club) you had to be 17+ to get your first rank of brown.

In fact I recall one girl turning 17 and being promoted because she had been at Purple for like 2 years.

That may have just been an internal policy at my club though.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast