Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 7:40am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There has definitely been a good amount of mythology created about leglocks by the BJJ community... I sub black belts on leglocks, and that tells me there's a hole that needs to be fixed. I've only seen one semi-serious injury from a leglock, and it wasn't from a heel hook. It was actually multiple tarsal fractures on a straight ankle lock. Speaking of knees in particular, though, which is the focus of the mythology, I have seen a very high amount of knee injury in judo, but judo doesn't receive the same reputation. Both of my knees, in fact, are **** because of judo.

Unfortunate for leglock enthusiasts, the paranoia seems to be getting worse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 1:01pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    Speaking of knees in particular, though, which is the focus of the mythology, I have seen a very high amount of knee injury in judo, but judo doesn't receive the same reputation. Both of my knees, in fact, are **** because of judo.

Unfortunate for leglock enthusiasts, the paranoia seems to be getting worse.
    Any methods to protect your knees? I want to still walk normally while practicing Judo.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 9:38pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as what you can do while playing judo, you might want to defer to more experienced guys on here. What I can say with some confidence, though, is that I have changed my game a lot since first practicing judo, in order to further protect my knees... My left knee blew out getting thrown on a hard-and-fast tani otoshi that came in from the side, rather than around back, and my right knee blew on getting thrown by a tai otoshi where the trailing leg planted across my knee. So now, I tend to play judo from a farther distance, either trying to throw from as far away as possible, with foot sweeps or sacrifice throws, or I try to close the distance completely as quickly as possible. That way, my opponent doesn't have as much of a chance to gain that middle distance where I am weak, both skill-wise and physically.

I am confident as an authority on preventative maintenance, though, as I have a CSCS cert and years of sport-specific experience. The shearing action of the knee is the culprit in these injuries, particularly during deceleration. This can be prevented by fixing imbalances in strength between the vastus lateralis and vastus medialis, where the medialis tends to be the weaker of the two. Focus on abducting and adducting exercises. Also, while squatting, research has shown that a wide, hip-squat stance at 140% of shoulder width provides maximum engagement of the calves and glutes, which are counter-intuitively the major support sources for the knee joint.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 1:12am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    This can be prevented by fixing imbalances in strength between the vastus lateralis and vastus medialis, where the medialis tends to be the weaker of the two. Focus on abducting and adducting exercises. Also, while squatting, research has shown that a wide, hip-squat stance at 140% of shoulder width provides maximum engagement of the calves and glutes, which are counter-intuitively the major support sources for the knee joint.
    and just in case you were wondering where the hell your vastus laterialis and vastus medialis are located, please see bellow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 7:41am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Any methods to protect your knees? I want to still walk normally while practicing Judo.
    I had (and still have) a partially torn acl when I started judo, what I have found has helped me is to play a rather light mobile style. Obviously the fact that I am not a heavy weight makes this more feasible for me then others but I have found that if I keep making good movements and do not really plant my feet hard into the mat to block throws but instead focus on moving around them it puts a lot less tress on my knee.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 1:38pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12