Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Leg Laces, Hip Locks, Toe Flexors, and other leg locks

Grappling is an ever evolving art form. As rules change and different styles become popular, certain techniques grow and others get discarded. Sometimes the technique just don't work in a live environment and other times they don't comply with the rules. Leg locks are a great example of a skill set that is not practiced or developed enough by most grapplers.

These "illegal" techniques should be preserved and practiced, as they are effective. Plus, you don't want to be stuck not knowing how to deal with them if they ever come up.

I'm going to use this thread to post weekly videos of forbidden, obscure, or unique leg locks. I'll try to keep it to high percentage moves but I'll toss in an odd situation ones as well.

Here is hip lock counter to the Upa Sweep filmed at a SoCal throwdown a few years ago.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, some real basic rules for practicing these moves or leg locks in general:

1) If you are a white belt, don't practice these. Don't use these in free grappling, don't teach these to other white belts. Blue belts, talk to your instructor about leg locks and what's appropriate.

2) Always warm up your feet, ankles, knees, and hips before practicing these moves.

3) Go VERY SLOWLY when first practicing these moves and BE CAREFUL with how much pressure to apply. Many of these moves require only a little bit of force and can cause a lot of damage is misapplied or with too much force.

4) When practicing heel hooks and other knee attacks first focus on getting into the proper position then securing the foot or leg secured. Slowly apply the submission until they tap. After a few tries, just practice securing proper position and the foot/leg. This will keep your knee joints from getting overstretched.

5) Heel hooks and knee bars don't start hurting until after you've done some damage to the joint. Make sure to tap when your at full extension or start to feel the pressure building in your knee.

6) If you can, Ice your knees after a class devoted to leg lock practice. If you have bad ankles, ice those too.

7) Apply cautiously to free grappling and make sure to go slow with these. Tap early, tap often.

8) Learn the proper way to escape these moves. You can really hurt yourself if you go the wrong way.

9) Consult your instructor and training partners before using leg locks.

Posted On:
    3/11/2013 4:20pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post

Grappling is an ever evolving art form. As rules change and different styles become popular, certain techniques grow and others get discarded. Sometimes the technique just don't work in a live environment and other times they don't comply with the rules. Leg locks are a great example of a skill set that is not practiced or developed enough by most grapplers.

These "illegal" techniques should be preserved and practiced, as they are effective. Plus, you don't want to be stuck not knowing how to deal with them if they ever come up.

I'm going to use this thread to post weekly videos of forbidden, obscure, or unique leg locks. I'll try to keep it to high percentage moves but I'll toss in an odd situation ones as well.
    Dude, thank you. Thank you so much. This is awesome. I definitely agree with all of the above and am really happy you are taking the time to do this. Leglocks are something I really love, just the way the transitions happen, how they can be used, the variety, it's like this whole other aspect of grappling that appears to be lost with the IBJJF restrictive ruleset, and that makes me sad, because I don't want these techniques to be forgotten or not practiced as well! I'm really happy I'm able to practice these things in the Gym in classes and free rolls against higher belts, so I'm also looking forward to the fun items you'll be outlining here!
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 10:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you guys want some great vids any of Riley bodycombs vids are amazing for sambo leg locks or Sambo Steve's stuff. And also Imanari in MMA has the best leg locks ive seen pulled off in the mma circuit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 5:32pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been hitting reaps and toeholds & Heelhooks everywhere. I don't have a very fancy system yet, but please keep them coming. I really like this hip lock, coffeefan.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 1:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This video shows a half guard detail I was asked about and leg attack that I hit all the time and is also illegal

Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/08/2014 12:04pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What happened to this thread? I think I remember CoffeeFan moving, but did he stop training/posting? Maybe Omega or Zapruder or SamboSteve can take it over?

I wouldn't feel comfortable taking this over, my technique is a far cry from top level instruction.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 7:09pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
    This video shows a half guard detail I was asked about and leg attack that I hit all the time and is also illegal

Love this move. I don't doo it too much, but I do know it. Pretty high percentage too if you are a good bottom half guard player (not me...LOL). My only question would be, where you show posting your left foot on his opposite hip, do you feel vulnerable to foot lock there? I would likely try to attack it if you put it there.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 7:13pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally agree with all of this excepte the corrected parts ;)

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    Also, some real basic rules for practicing these moves or leg locks in general:

1) If you are a white belt, do practice these. Do use these in free grappling under the supervision of your coach. Blue belts, same thing. Sambo guys, pay no mind to all this belt chatter ;)

2) Always warm up your feet, ankles, knees, and hips before practicing these moves.

3) Go VERY SLOWLY when first practicing these moves and BE CAREFUL with how much pressure to apply. Many of these moves require only a little bit of force and can cause a lot of damage is misapplied or with too much force.

4) When practicing heel hooks and other knee attacks first focus on getting into the proper position then securing the foot or leg secured. Slowly apply the submission until they tap. After a few tries, just practice securing proper position and the foot/leg. This will keep your knee joints from getting overstretched.

5) Heel hooks don't start hurting until after you've done some damage to the joint. Kneebars hurt before damage is done like most submisisons. Make sure to tap when your at full extension or start to feel the pressure building in your knee.

6) If you can, Ice your knees after a class devoted to leg lock practice. If you have bad ankles, ice those too.

7) Apply cautiously to free grappling and make sure to go slow with these. Tap early, tap often.

8) Learn the proper way to escape these moves. You can really hurt yourself if you go the wrong way.

9) Consult your instructor and training partners before using leg locks.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/12/2014 3:33am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    Love this move. I don't doo it too much, but I do know it. Pretty high percentage too if you are a good bottom half guard player (not me...LOL). My only question would be, where you show posting your left foot on his opposite hip, do you feel vulnerable to foot lock there? I would likely try to attack it if you put it there.
    I assume you are talking about the first technique in the video?

I do something similar, however I usually invert leaving my knee on the middle of their chest or come all the way through for rolling Kneebar position. I never had someone be able to foot lock me from that position, but then again I never put it on the far hip.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast