Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 1:49pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Military Close Combat - Anyone have a list of who uses what?

To start; I understand that there are huge differences in combat fighting and street style or sport style fighting. Factoring in weapons and such can change an art drastically. However I find myself wanting to compile a list of such 'fighting styles' for lack of better term that is used by military sources.

Now I'm not here to argue the benefits of what's better than what or who should be using what or what sucks compared to what. I'm only interested if anyone has a list of what techniques or forms are taught to which military (special forces or otherwise). While I can accept that people have varying backgrounds and might be able to answer the question simply from self knowledge. I was wondering if anyone had any resources also.

My current experiences with digging through search engines and attempting to find information from websites has lead me to results such as:

6 Great Martial Arts for Killing a Man With Your Bare Hands ...
    The 25 Most Lethal Martial Arts Ever Created
    Martial Art Styles - Tips on Writing Military SF
    (more garbage)

And to be honest what little information I can find always states 'Krav Maga' Isreli Special forces. 'Systema' Spetsnaz etc etc. But when it comes to say 'Navy Seals' I simply get 'Super secret awesome style of crazy ownage.' or 'Beat the crap out of the other guy fu.'

Is there anyone out there that can offer some reliable information? This is purely out of curiosity that I'm compiling this information - but some reasonable resources would be nice. If there is no fighting 'style' involved then perhaps what fighting 'techniques' are being taught instead would be just as useful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 5:41pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The different training programs for the various branches and components provide training for their students by their staff. i.e. BUD/S teaches SEALs the basics, Ranger school does the same for theirs.

Different units will occasionally send students, or entire units, to learn from different instructors. All those hoodle-heads out there claiming they trained Special Forces or SEALs may have very trained a few of them, for a few months or even years. The involved persons take the lessons back to their units and add what works.

You will not find a list of specific styles used by specific Soldiers, Marines, Sailors or Airmen at the SOC level, because their simply isn't one. All involved will get the basics of their branches training (combatives, etc.) and them, as they get more specialized, they branch out as needed.

I'd stop compiling your list. By the time you're done, it will be out of date, when you consider some training will be dropped and new stuff added.

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 10:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really want to know where the secret ninja killers learn their ninja kililing secrets? You're talking about arcane hand to hand techniques so brutally effective they are classified top-secret.

You want THE REAL DEADLY?

That's asking a lot. If you divulge any of the secret training techniques in this video to un-authorized personel, we'll have to kill you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEmchOm961E
    ^^^^

( seriously NSFW )
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 3/10/2013 10:16pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 10:45pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    You really want to know where the secret ninja killers learn their ninja kililing secrets? You're talking about arcane hand to hand techniques so brutally effective they are classified top-secret.

You want THE REAL DEADLY?

That's asking a lot. If you divulge any of the secret training techniques in this video to un-authorized personel, we'll have to kill you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEmchOm961E
    ^^^^

( seriously NSFW )
    Ah, Race to the Holy Mountain, with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Alejandro "Jodorowsky" Prullansky.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2013 12:34am

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
    The different training programs for the various branches and components provide training for their students by their staff. i.e. BUD/S teaches SEALs the basics, Ranger school does the same for theirs.

Different units will occasionally send students, or entire units, to learn from different instructors. All those hoodle-heads out there claiming they trained Special Forces or SEALs may have very trained a few of them, for a few months or even years. The involved persons take the lessons back to their units and add what works.

You will not find a list of specific styles used by specific Soldiers, Marines, Sailors or Airmen at the SOC level, because their simply isn't one. All involved will get the basics of their branches training (combatives, etc.) and them, as they get more specialized, they branch out as needed.

I'd stop compiling your list. By the time you're done, it will be out of date, when you consider some training will be dropped and new stuff added.

This is exactly what I'm after. Thanks mate - I was wondering if this is the case; with all the loons out there claiming to have 'trained special forces' I was curious if there was some connection. This has answered my question in gold.

As for the super secret ninja - ... awesome.

Posted On:
    3/11/2013 9:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The US

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 4:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignoscant View Post
    To start; I understand that there are huge differences in combat fighting and street style or sport style fighting. Factoring in weapons and such can change an art drastically. However I find myself wanting to compile a list of such 'fighting styles' for lack of better term that is used by military sources.

Now I'm not here to argue the benefits of what's better than what or who should be using what or what sucks compared to what. I'm only interested if anyone has a list of what techniques or forms are taught to which military (special forces or otherwise). While I can accept that people have varying backgrounds and might be able to answer the question simply from self knowledge. I was wondering if anyone had any resources also.

My current experiences with digging through search engines and attempting to find information from websites has lead me to results such as:

6 Great Martial Arts for Killing a Man With Your Bare Hands ...
    The 25 Most Lethal Martial Arts Ever Created
    Martial Art Styles - Tips on Writing Military SF
    (more garbage)

And to be honest what little information I can find always states 'Krav Maga' Isreli Special forces. 'Systema' Spetsnaz etc etc. But when it comes to say 'Navy Seals' I simply get 'Super secret awesome style of crazy ownage.' or 'Beat the crap out of the other guy fu.'

Is there anyone out there that can offer some reliable information? This is purely out of curiosity that I'm compiling this information - but some reasonable resources would be nice. If there is no fighting 'style' involved then perhaps what fighting 'techniques' are being taught instead would be just as useful.
    A short list of the OFFICAL methods used:
    US Army (EVERYONE including Rangers, SF, etc) - Modern Army Combatives Program (MACP).
    US Air Force has adopted MACP as wel but call it the Air Force Combatives Program (AFCP)
    Marine Corp uses Marine Corp Martial Arts Program (MCMAP)
    US Navy the last offical one I know of is SCARS but that was cancelled aroudn 1998~99. I can ask my brother-in-law, an LT CDR in the navy, what they use if any. I thin they do MCMAP as well but not sure.

Russian use SAMBO. Yes I know Systema as been said it is use by Spetznaz but I have yet to meet one Russian soldier, or former soldier, Spetznaz or otherwise who says they trained Systema in the service. And yes I have met with many Russian Soldiers throught the years. So far it seems that it was only practices by very few groups if any.

IDF -Krav Maga
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh