Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 2:57am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Armory Museum Closing

I don't normally venture into WMA forum, but this is a local story and one that I think would be of some interest.

The Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, MA is closing. It describes itself as the "...only dedicated museum of armor in the western hemisphere". I have no idea if this statement is accurate, however the collection is huge and varied and it takes at least 2 days to see everything the museum has to offer. I'd say 90% of the exhibits are out in the open(meaning not behind glass) There are full suits of armor, many bladed weapons, and early firearms.

They have done classes in the past in metallurgy, calligraphy, and other period crafts, and have trebuchet and ale competitions(no mead this year unfortunately). They have an Academy of the Sword, and also have special youth outreach classes. Overall, its one of the few cultural treasures in the area, and thusly, never got any public support.

The museum closes at the end of the year, I would suggest that its a pretty great experience for anyone to visit, but obviously, its a rare gem for those interested in the craft and history of armaments of the time.

http://www.higgins.org/

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 4:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dang! That sucks. These types of places are becoming fewer and fewer. You don't realize what you have until it's gone!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 4:28am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very sad when this happens. A few pieces will end up at other museums; some my even be sold. Most though will go into storage where nobody benefits from the history these things possess.

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 4:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    Very sad when this happens. A few pieces will end up at other museums; some my even be sold. Most though will go into storage where nobody benefits from the history these things possess.
    They have a deal with the local art museum that ensures that the pieces will be on display on a rotating basis and stay in the city, but the building itself was part of the charm.

Plus there are no guarantees. Things will start disappearing or get sold to make end meet.
    Last edited by Soldiermedic; 3/09/2013 4:56am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 5:35am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least there is a short stay of execution then. Could have been worse.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 6:21am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A shame to hear the museum is closing. I visited there years and years ago and had a bit of a "backstage" tour and a meeting with their sword team, though regrettably I was too jet-lagged at the time to get much out of it.

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 1:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Eskrima/rapier/longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pity. Same thing here in Delft, was an awesome army museum, closed last year. They are making one big army museum some place else to save money. Even though part of the collection will go to the big one... still a pity about the ambiance of the old building.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 1:20pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bummer. Any chance of auctioning off cool stuff at cheap prices?

Posted On:
    6/08/2013 7:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ostensibly, everything is going to go to the local art museum, and certain pieces will be on display throughout the year on a rotating basis. Most likely some things will end up on the market, but I predict that a lot of things will go into trustees and board members for private collections or resale at a later date when the dust settles.

I went last month for their "Star Wars Day" and plan on visiting a lot in the next year before everything starts to be dismantled.