Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 1:50pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Don't forget what happened when Silva fought Maia. The worst fight ever. We haven't seen GSP have a fight as bad as that one.
    I think the shields fight was pretty comparable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 1:50pm

Style: Boxing, JKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This business of Diaz complaining that the rules screw him over for not forcing guys like GSP to try to finish is completely undermined by the fact a single rule (namely, no knees to the head of a downed opponent) saved his life the other night. People who complain that guys on top who are outside the guard who don't finish need to think about what the rules don't allow that guy to do. Imagine if every time Diaz grabbed GSP's arm to turtle up and prevent harder GNP, he had to deal with a kneed to the side of is head or face. GSP's positioning would be a bit more "dominant" then, wouldn't it? This is also where a lot of this cognitive dissonance comes in with people talking about "in a real street fight, who would you say 'won' that fight"; well, in a real street fight there are a hell of a lot more consequences for being put in such a position.

GSP is just as dominant regardless of whether he can throw knees to a downed opponent, he's just not able to finish because of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 5:51pm

Style: Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You all understand why Nick was curious as to why GSP was able to weigh170.9 -- .9 lbs over the limit right?

Simple - his little brother just fought for the title at 155, in that fight Nate weighed in at 155.6 -- right away Dana White rushed in on Nate and said he had to drop that .6 lbs since it was a title fight.

youtube the vid - i would post the link but I'm not allowed due to lacking posts.

So why did Nate Diaz have to make 155 or under...and GSP was allowed the .9 lbs-

This was Nick's question ....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 6:36pm

Style: Judo noob, heavy bag

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein McFly View Post
    This business of Diaz complaining that the rules screw him over for not forcing guys like GSP to try to finish is completely undermined by the fact a single rule (namely, no knees to the head of a downed opponent) saved his life the other night. People who complain that guys on top who are outside the guard who don't finish need to think about what the rules don't allow that guy to do. Imagine if every time Diaz grabbed GSP's arm to turtle up and prevent harder GNP, he had to deal with a kneed to the side of is head or face. GSP's positioning would be a bit more "dominant" then, wouldn't it? This is also where a lot of this cognitive dissonance comes in with people talking about "in a real street fight, who would you say 'won' that fight"; well, in a real street fight there are a hell of a lot more consequences for being put in such a position.

GSP is just as dominant regardless of whether he can throw knees to a downed opponent, he's just not able to finish because of it.
    Its funny because I feel like that is a legitimate concern in general. For Nick, however, it doesn't matter in the least. He would have lost that fight regardless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 4:02pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is an interesting update IMHO. When the original video popped up showing officials explaining to the Diaz camp that they didn't recognize decimal points my thoughts were that as long as GSP weighed in at 170.0 it didn't matter. Well GSP now says he believes he weighed 170.4 pounds at the weigh in. My thoughts are that this still doesn't warrant any action regarding the fight(s) which have already occurred up to this point, including the Diaz/GSP scrap. BUT, I do hope this is addressed, and fixed prior to any more UFC events in Canada.

What do you all think?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/12...-pounds-at-ufc
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678