218357 Bullies, 4358 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 11:26am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    Not if the point is to submit or knock an opponent out.
    There's a reason there's a time limit to pins as in wrestling, sambo or whatever.
    Condit came closer to finishing Hendrix than vice versa, so you could say he was winning the fight.
    It's a matter of perspective. In my view, if you can pin a guy and turn him into a helpless little baby, then you're winning the fight. Look at it from a self defense point of view. If you can pin the guy and he can't launch any offense, you're protecting yourself and you're winning the fight.

Does that make it fun to watch and should that make fans eager to spend $60? Nope.
    Last edited by Devil; 3/18/2013 12:00pm at .

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 11:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Furthmore, from a real str33tf1t3 perspective, the person you're pinning will have a hard time defending against your friends stomping his face in whereas you will be able to stand up when you please.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 12:07pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, I dunno. I mean, surely the point of the fight is more to deal damage than to prevent damage being done to you?
    Like, to use the street fight comparison: if two lads were officially "fighting", and the fight consisted mainly of one guy lying on the other, dealing no damage, would we really say that that guy had "won"? I mean, in soccer they call that a draw.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 12:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluckmann View Post
    if two lads were officially "fighting", and the fight consisted mainly of one guy lying on the other, dealing no damage, would we really say that that guy had "won"?
    I would. He who dictates the terms of the fight is the winner. If I am in control and I get to determine whether you get punched in the face, teabagged, or simply disregarded then you're my bitch. I win. But that's just one man's opinion.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    He who dictates the terms of the fight is the winner.
    This. There is more to a fight then just dealing out punishment. Otherwise you can just have two people stand in front of each other throwing punches until one gets knocked out.

If you can hold them down, control them, and deliver punches when you want, you are winning.

It doesn't make fore entertaining fights though. I don't remember who is was that used to bitch about Randy Coture back in the day, but he would ask, "What, are you going to wrestle me to death?"

Still holds true and will as long as there are good wrestlers.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 2:05pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For all the talk about warriors, and going to battle, and it's going to be a war, yadda yadda, let's not forget that at the end of the day, this is a sporting competition. It's a game, with rules, where they keep score. You win by winning the game. If that happens to be the same way you would win a real fight, hooray. If it's not, it's still a valid win under the rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 3:02pm

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if it would be only that, it should be like combat sambo or fila mma and I don't need the entertainment event around it.

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 3:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    if it would be only that, it should be like combat sambo or fila mma and I don't need the entertainment event around it.
    Would you declare someone the winner of a fight if they spent 80% of it squashed like a bug?

game dog

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 3:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's not forget that GSP landed a fair number of punches more than Diaz in the standup portion of the fight, and quite a few of them made Diaz' head snap back. It's hardly GSP's fault that Diaz can absorb unholy amounts of punishment.

The way I see it, the criticism that GSP is getting is absurd. The guy makes top contenders look like noobs... he just outstruck one of the best boxers in MMA on the feet, controlled a BJJ black belt on the ground for ten minutes straight, stifling every bit of his offense... and everyone's like "Booooring! Why doesn't he finish his fights, goddammit?"
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

On hiatus

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Getting fat.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excuse me, both Diaz and GSP landed a not all that high number of strikes.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast