Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 12:13pm

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fechtschule for kids?

Where we are we have a kids Current affairs program called BTN (Behind the News). Even when I was a kid it was a show we were encouraged to watch as part of school.

Different kids sports are sometimes showcased as part of the program. The local HEMA group recently got a chance to get their Kids group on the show.

Here's a link to the video:

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3699393.htm

I enjoy a bit of HEMA cross training, they do mostly messer, ringen and dagger when I've been there (some longsword, sword & buckler, spear/long staff etc..). I don't get to train that side of the city as often as I'd like, but it's always fun to put on some fencing masks and do a bit of freeplay.

I have two kids who may be interested in training, my oldest is 6 years old. Anyone care on sharing their thoughts on weapons training for kids. In 3 months she will be 7 and old enough to start FMA at the local Kenpo club.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO the approach shown in that item is just the ticket for kids' classes; emphasis on fun, safety, fitness and developing skills within their abilities.

Looks like the BTN crew knows just what they're doing, too.