Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 5:00pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    How do I approach this best? How do I get into that mindset of forcing my game on people? How do I avoid falling back on my old jits?
    Honestly the mentality you are looking for is more that of a wrestler than a bjj guy.

I approached this problem with 180 degrees opposite angle. I started more top game "natural". Then later a monstrosity of a wrestler started with us, and I could no longer get any of my "natural" game going. Shut down.

I had to develop guard.

Since it wasn't natural, I had to break it down into small parts and drill. First closed guard gi and butterfly nogi, then delariva gi, etc. I guess though since there are natural divisions on different kind of guards, that kind of broke it down into bite sized pieces for me.

So you'd have to break down the top game similarly. You can do it positionally, both offense and defense. So like:

1) In Guard - how to not get submitted or swept. Base, where to put hands, where to put weight to counter attacks. When to stand, etc.

2) Passing Guard - drill the 2 or 3 standard guard passes (toreando, knee cutter, over/under) until you can chain them together without thinking. There are many more details to these passes you haven't learned yet I'll guarantee. Expand out to a bunch more types of guard passes.

3) Side Control - how to maintain position and attack. how to transition.

4) Mount - control and attacks

5) North/South - you need this game nogi.

I see people do those mind maps to help chain parts of their game together and make it more coherent. They are cool. You can do it on a piece of toilet paper with crayons if you need. One circle that says "North/South" then a bunch of little connected circles that deal with offense/defense from there, submissions, transitions, etc. Put it together in your mind, then put it together drilling until you can execute it.

The other thing is many people develop guard because they are lazy to develop skill from the feet with takedowns. Judo for gi, and wrestling for nogi offer whole realms of skill learning that totally chain together into the top game. And they both are pretty unlimited as far as how much you can learn. I mean check out Jimmy Pedro for judo and Cary Kolat for wrestling. If you get great at takedowns, you can bypass the whole guard pass altogether.

Oh, and good luck :)

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 4:24pm

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Still working on the issue, with mixed results.
    As for Take downs, I feel quite confident about my ankle trips. Due to mat space issues, they start from the knees at my new school... So not much to do here at the moment.
    I suck at knee wrestling! Hence I am trying the "jump to sweep" tactic, with mixed success.
    I can hit sweeps on folk my weight and a bit up but yesterday I tried that against a giant who has about 60 to 80 lbs on me (heck I don't do lbs, we work with kg - okay - I am 67ish and he was 100+-) and I just got no where. Fucker sat back in my guard (I tried to out wrestle him, he took side mount, that is when I called it quits and went for close guard) and I just couldn't get anything working.
    The only time I got to make him move was when I started to work cross collar chokes, isolating arms etc. but I still couldn't hit any sweep he was just sitting there and that was that.
    The rest of the rolls I worked my passing game, which is getting better and better, working my way to mount and then just jacked around working z mount and transition back and forth between mount and side mount for the rest of the roll. I am doing quite well with solid shoulder pressure and passing half guard.

I will have to put in some serous extra hours drilling sweeps I guess.

Also memo to myself, work two on one more often, I am just not strong enough for anything else.

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 7:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's some textbook skillz where Glover handles a real deficit...

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 7:34am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny thing about that, guy sits right down... folks ain't that nice to me :)
    I liked how he got the deep half guard, to get under him as much as possible and then sweep.
    When he went for that triangle, he had to bail because he just couldn't make it work (he is just to small to close his legs)...

I would like to have seen that match with a gi.

On a strange side note, anybody knows the full name of the Ref in the video? He used to be a purple couple of years ago at Renzos and he gave me some nice pointers when I trained there. Something like Dino or Gino, I can't remember...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12