224634 Bullies, 4211 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 3:15am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I like the way the IBJJ handles getting kids enough belt ranks to keep their parents that satisfying feeling of watching their child advance and thus will keep writing that check every month and keep the sport alive.

http://www.ibjjf.org/docs/kidsbeltsystem.pdf
    My kid's BJJ school has a kid belt structure. It's not exactly like any of those but the same idea. I've got to say, I love it because it means a lot to him.

It works out so at white belt level they'll get a stripe every 5 or 6 weeks if they come to class twice a week. After white belt they have to get more classes in before testing.

As insignificant as it seems, my son takes a lot of pride in achieving the next stripe and he really looks forward to that next belt. He loves training, so yeah, I'm a happy parent and happy to write the check.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 3:44am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I like the way the IBJJ handles getting kids enough belt ranks to keep their parents that satisfying feeling of watching their child advance and thus will keep writing that check every month and keep the sport alive.

http://www.ibjjf.org/docs/kidsbeltsystem.pdf
    They're adopting this where my son trains. I can't say I'm a fan of more belts. Heck, I'm not even a fan of stripes, but just like Devil's offspring, my kid also puts a lot of stock in stripes.

People should pay less attention to what color the cloth is that they tie around their waist, and more attention to doing the hard work necessary to get better. /old man rant

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 4:29am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah! Bloody kids!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 4:33am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    People should pay less attention to what color the cloth is that they tie around their waist, and more attention to doing the hard work necessary to get better. /old man rant
    I agree, and that's something I try to instill in my kid as well.

Nevertheless, learning is learning and at his age I'll take it however I can get it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 8:39am

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sambo has a youth division and an adult division. So I guess the division of rank is automatic.

If a 6 year old wanted to be a master of sport he/she would have to win against other masters of sport in the adult division. It can happen with teenagers when 15 years olds etc compete in adult tournaments, but never kids. At least not yet.

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 9:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that the belt differentiation that IBJJ does with kids and adults it's fine.
    There's no way that children fight or know the same as the young & adult.
    For kids is mostly games and excercise... of course that there are exceptions.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 11:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Judo, the lower end to achieve shodan is usually 16 or 17 (in Japan I'm not sure,might be a little younger..but most kids can get shodan in high school training 5 days a week, LOL).

In Judo, a kid would have to be competing with and beating adults to get shodan at 15 or 16, not just other kids. In BC, at least, 17-19 seems to be the age that serious kids can get shodan, especially if they are making the provincial team and going to nationals.

Philosophically, in Judo at least, though, it's the ability to compete with and beat adults that matters, plus whatever rank requirements exist. You have to be able to do shime and kansetsu waza also, and there are age restrictions on those categories of technique.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 4:19pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The minimum age to be a blackbelt in goju at my dojo is 18.

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 10:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if someone jumps blue belt they tbh they are training under a fake instructor. Even if the kid was best in the world they would want him to win big tournies at that given belt. If he is jumping up belts I would really question the instructor

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 11:13am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Trad JJ, here in the UK, you have to be 17 years of age for a junior BB. That is the minimum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123