Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 4:23pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon View Post
    Obviously not; that was my whole point. Award belts based on performance and there wont be an issue with kids age and belts. When you can hang with the brown belts, you get a brown belt. Six year olds would never get brown belts because they cant hang with brown belts. Simple quality control...

Supposedly simple, but the existence of 6 year old black belts states otherwise. In my opinion, having some sort of age limit would make belt ranking a bit less subjective. I agree that belts are supposed to be based on performance. But I have the feeling that for some of these instructors in their own minds, that these kids are performing at a black belt level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 10:00pm

Style: Tabimina Balintawak

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would make it less subjective is getting rid of belts entirely.

The existence of 6 year old black belts has nothing to do with the simplicity or not of that quality control, and more to do with people not caring about it, or as someone pointed out earlier, differing ideas of what a belt means--theres your subjectivity in spades. Ultimately, what difference does it make to you whether some karate school utilizes belts in a different manner than your BJJ/Judo school? Are you in it for a belt? Do you want to try to control what others do with their time or business or life? Do you want people to look so highly at you because of your belt, and somehow a kid receiving a belt at some cookie cutter belt factory threatens that feeling?

If youre in it for you, for your development, for your entertainment or for your own skill, then you dont care what others do about rank and belts and all that other stuff. Just train...and people who will cross your path (be it training, in competition, or on the street) will know where your level is...

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 3:27am

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How would you propose keeping gross mismatches from happening in competition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 3:42am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon View Post
    Obviously not; that was my whole point. Award belts based on performance and there wont be an issue with kids age and belts. When you can hang with the brown belts, you get a brown belt. Six year olds would never get brown belts because they cant hang with brown belts. Simple quality control...
    You could equally say a 7 year old yellow belt could not hang with an adult yellow belt

So what, ban the belt grading system for children because they are weak?

Let the lil' guys wear thier black belts, they've work hard for it

Most of the places I trained juniors have to drop a couple of grades when they move up to the senior class

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 4:01am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure where I they did this, but they had separate belts for kids and adults and when the kids move up to adult hood they have to test under adult standards and they either will get the adult equivalent of their rank or they will drop a bit in rank depending on how they fare.
    Makes sense to me, you can kick ass among the kids, you get your belt, you can kick ass at the level of the adults, you get the belt that suits you, no transition from kiddy BB to adult BB unless warranted. No problem.

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 7:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude, couldn't have said it better myself

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 7:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
    How would you propose keeping gross mismatches from happening in competition?
    Double-elimination ladder?

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 9:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the way the IBJJ handles getting kids enough belt ranks to keep their parents that satisfying feeling of watching their child advance and thus will keep writing that check every month and keep the sport alive.

http://www.ibjjf.org/docs/kidsbeltsystem.pdf

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 9:57am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of Judo rank is related to things other than technical skill, like teaching ability, maturity, contributions to the Judo community, so it makes a lot more sense for age to play a larger factor. Things like our liability insurance and certain rights within the organization are tied to rank, so handing out black belts to tiny kids can be weird. But rank is also tied to competitive division so sometimes exceptions are made and it all gets a little jumbled.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 5:11pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your parents can still send you to your room you can't wear a black belt.

Any other colour is fine, though.

These are the arbitrary Belt Wearing rules that I just made up.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast