Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2013 3:29pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The early Gracie shuffle-step low front-kicking stance

This doesn't seem to warrant the technique forums, so I will put this here.

I watched Choke on youtube and immediately recognized Rickson's stance and weird lowkick in Japan Vale Tudo as identical to Royce's in the early UFCs.

I assume this is just a vehicle to get clinched up without getting KTFO, but does anyone know if they actively trained or espoused this stance? It seems efficient enough to force groundwork against clueless opponants, but seems terribly immobile otherwise.

Thoughts?

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/13/2013 3:47pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could be mistaken but it is exactly what you think it is, a simple means of entering into a clinch as safely as possible. It's kind of a cross between a front kick a stomp and an axe kick at a low line. I believe it is called a "Pichon" or "Pizon" in portugese.
    安氏八极拳学生

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2013 3:53pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74 View Post
    I could be mistaken but it is exactly what you think it is, a simple means of entering into a clinch as safely as possible. It's kind of a cross between a front kick a stomp and an axe kick at a low line. I believe it is called a "Pichon" or "Pizon" in portugese.
    Interesting. I didn't realize they had terminology to describe the kick.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    3/13/2013 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They talk about in the old first-gen gracie jiujitsu instructional videos. Basically, the kick was advocated as a way to get cover your entry into the clinch to set up a takedown. Obviously, over time, it has fallen out of use in favor of the one-two-double leg.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    3/14/2013 7:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a pretty widespread old-school BJJ thing. Mario Sperry shows it on one of his old instructional tapes too.

First guy I trained BJJ with was a black belt from Brazil, and he used this in his MMA sparring. To be honest, it seemed a bit old-fashioned even then, and that was a decade ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2013 7:58am

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Royce Gracie sometimes teaches it in his seminars, mainly as a transition to takedown.

Posted On:
    3/14/2013 7:59am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I assume this is just a vehicle to get clinched up without getting KTFO, but does anyone know if they actively trained or espoused this stance? It seems efficient enough to force groundwork against clueless opponants, but seems terribly immobile otherwise.

Thoughts?
    I have seen my fare share of funny things in regards to JiuJitsu here and some of it is oldschool handed down stuff, up to Kata(I **** you not)! I honestly have never seen or trained it like the gracies use(d) it in their fights... But some of the oldschool Jits fighters use a similar technique as an "excuse"/"substitute" for a good single/double shoot.
    Most BB here don't have a solid understanding of fundamental wrestling take downs, this is changing a bit with the new generation but I guess it will take a while.

@Ronin, can't seem to come up with a word that would make any sense and sounds like what you are trying to say... It could, super oddly pronounced be pisão - which would roughly translate to floor or big step. But other than that I can't come up with anything that would make any sense at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2013 8:13am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We use it in our Pedro Sauer blue belt requirements. Technique #83. It is used for closing the gap. Normally followed by a Bajana.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2013 9:04am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Anderson Silva assumed that stance while taunting Thales Leites. A lot of jits guys back in the day used it.

The kick is like a Muay Thai kick because it's to the leg. But it's aimed at the knee like a self-defense kick, so it's more like something a self-defense person would use. Or at least that's how Bill Wallace described it when he showed up to UFC 1 after an all-day bender.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    3/14/2013 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is also of note that when Royce Gracie came out of retirement to get mutilated by Matt Hughes, he was no longer throwing the "Gracie kick," in favor of thai-ish style round kicks to the leg. If memory serves me correctly, they were mostly inside leg kicks, but I might be recalling that detail wrong.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast