222006 Bullies, 3912 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 51 to 60 of 311
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Hedgehogey is offline
    Hedgehogey's Avatar

    Tsun-Derrorist

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,331

    Posted On:
    3/04/2013 12:18am

    supporting member
     Style: ^_^

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Suddenly itwasntme's location field makes sense.


    "The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

    RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

    THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

    It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
  2. loki09789 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    398

    Posted On:
    3/04/2013 12:29am


     Style: Escrima/Kenpo

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hoban has been channeling this 'service minded' approach to martial arts for a long time. I agree with you Tom. I think that the clearest read on this is to simple take it as a 'mission statement' about how to live life in general… just like educators and corporate leaders all seem to be calling themselves "agents for change" these days instead of 'LEADERS'…

    When I see Hoban or his students dragging purse snatchers into Police Stations making citizens arrests.. or lecturing people for J Walking.. then I will have to adjust my opinion.
  3. ChuckWepner is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago / Michigan
    Posts
    391

    Posted On:
    3/04/2013 1:11am


     

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Can I have a link?

    He obviously didn't claim the country of his birth, so I'd argue he did serve his country, or at least the one he felt a connection with.

    Again, you're missing what I was even trying to reason. That some good came from him, regardless of his true motives or what have you.

    Keep in mind I'm following your request and not googling anything. I could possibly come up with better cases. Either way, that was still only one of my initial points, even if we rule this one out.
    As should be obvious, but, hell, it's the internet: Hitler was one of the worst people who ever lived and I'm not in any way defending or endorsing him. I am merely going to mention a couple of historical facts.

    Hitler was rejected for service in the Austrian army as unfit early in 1914. Later that year, he requested and received a waiver to serve as a non-Bavarian in a Bavarian infantry unit in the German army (Germany had only unified in 1871 and Bavaria was still a semi-independent kingdom under the German government), which was allied with Austria at the time.

    Hitler saw a few weeks of regular infantry duty but most of his time was spent as a bike messenger running messages between unit HQ and frontline units along the Western front. Hitler was wounded in the leg once and gassed once.

    Hitler was promoted once, to Gefreiter. This often used to be described as equivalent to Lance-Corporal, but is now generally said to be roughly the same as PFC (Private First Class). Hitler declined a further offer of promotion to Unteroffizier (Corporal), apparently because it would have meant changing from messenger duties to infantry duties that he found less to his liking.

    Hitler did live in Bavaria before WWI partly (at least) to avoid mandatory military service in the Austrian army. He was also not popular with his fellow soldiers for the most part, since he kept to himself, painted, and read rather than drinking and playing games, etc.

    When Hitler ran for office and especially after he was in power, the Nazi propaganda machine created a war hero where there was none. And near the end of the war, Hitler was hospitalized after being hit in a poison gas attack by British troops. One of the symptoms was blindness. Evidence that became available relatively recently suggests that the blindness was psychosomatic, caused by the trauma of the experience rather than by any organic neurological effect of the gas.

    Recognizing the points mentioned in the last two paragraphs, the fullest account of Hitler's WWI service (Thomas Weber, Hitler's First War [Oxford, 2010; rev. ed., 2011]) very much downplays and minimizes Hitler's military service. But Hitler did in fact fulfill his duties in a way that led to gradual offers of promotion and to some decoration. He seems to have been a competent soldier who was well thought of by his commanding officer.

    And a horrifyingly evil man.
  4. Azatdawn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lower Franconia
    Posts
    968

    Posted On:
    3/04/2013 3:23am


     Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nööb

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    ...
    These are mostly facts, at least (just writing this to differentiate it from the crap itwasntme came up with). I'd still say some of it is up to debate, for example him being well thought of by his commanding officer. From what I had read before, his best quality had been that he was mostly unobtrusive and getting wounded. Much of the praise he later got from war comrades is considered to be dubious because they got rewarded for that by the NSDAP with money and operative offices.

    Also the "messenger duties being more to his liking" had certainly a lot to do with the fact that it was a lot safer. Just a finer point of this I wanted to mention.
  5. slamdunc is offline
    slamdunc's Avatar

    Extraordinarily Ordinary

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,136

    Posted On:
    3/04/2013 7:21am

    supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Also the "messenger duties being more to his liking" had certainly a lot to do with the fact that it was a lot safer. Just a finer point of this I wanted to mention.
    Which kind of implies that he wouldn't be much of a 'warrior'. More like someone who can motivate, manipulate and inspire people to do the fighting that he wasn't willing to do himself. One of the core concepts of true leadership is to be willing (and capable) of doing anything that you ask your subordinate soldiers to do. They also respect you more if you have actually done it.

    Hitler was a different animal; he used what he had, intelligence and the ability to manipulate people into seeing a greater good that wasn't there. Between his mental illnesses and his abuse of drugs, there is really no way to gauge him other than the fact that he was a monster.

  6. Weezaholic is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    3/04/2013 9:14am


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where is Dan Carlin at? Sounds right up his alley with all this discussion about "historical arsonists"
  7. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    7,871

    Posted On:
    3/04/2013 10:14am

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    It is correct that many German citizens did not receive Das Auto they had been promised,even after the war. Unfortunately, this too can not be blamed on Die Furher. In 1945, the Red Army seized Berlin
    Yep, it's totally not his fault (!!), because Hitler had absolutely nothing to do with the Red Army seizing Berlin. That sort of thing happens all the time by itself!

    You're smoking those "bath salts" aren't you.

    By the way, you should shut the **** up about Germany and World War II until you actually know anything about either subject. It's clear from this thread you do not know much.

    Such as for instance the noun gender difference between "Die" and "Der".
  8. itwasntme is online now
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,575

    Posted On:
    3/04/2013 10:49am


     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Re: A Ninja Ex-Marine Captain Speaks: What It Means to Be a Warrior

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Yep, it's totally not his fault (!!), because Hitler had absolutely nothing to do with the Red Army seizing Berlin. That sort of thing happens all the time by itself!

    You're smoking those "bath salts" aren't you.

    By the way, you should shut the **** up about Germany and World War II until you actually know anything about either subject. It's clear from this thread you do not know much.

    Such as for instance the noun gender difference between "Die" and "Der".
    I know and have learned enough to support my position thus far. I assume you have proof that Hitler ordered the Red Army to attack Berlin?

    And sorry, It's been almost a decade since I've been in any formal German instruction. You'll forgive me if I used the feminine version of "the" over the masculine, a very minimal error.
    Start a training log!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
  9. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    7,871

    Posted On:
    3/04/2013 11:23am

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I know and have learned enough to support my position thus far. I assume you have proof that Hitler ordered the Red Army to attack Berlin?
    You're a troll and a moron.

    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    And sorry, It's been almost a decade since I've been in any formal German instruction. You'll forgive me if I used the feminine version of "the" over the masculine, a very minimal error.
    "Die Fuhrer" is a huge error. It truly undermines everything you've said about Germany, ever.

    The only thing Hitler ever "invented" was the destruction of over 2% of the world's population.

    Oh yeah he laid some fucking concrete and steel too. But mostly barbed wire and dead bodies.
  10. itwasntme is online now
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,575

    Posted On:
    3/04/2013 12:24pm


     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Re: A Ninja Ex-Marine Captain Speaks: What It Means to Be a Warrior

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    You're a troll and a moron.



    "Die Fuhrer" is a huge error. It truly undermines everything you've said about Germany, ever.

    The only thing Hitler ever "invented" was the destruction of over 2% of the world's population.

    Oh yeah he laid some fucking concrete and steel too. But mostly barbed wire and dead bodies.
    You're wrong. Try adding some substance to your posts and actually read my posts past the word "Hitler" so you'll know what to argue.
    Start a training log!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.