Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 5:11pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If facing death in service to something isn't an aspect of the job I don't think the title applies.

While death in the ring happens...so does does death while driving to work at the widget factory...the risk of death should be in service to your "clan/tribe/nation/community/etc" to apply IMO.

And I think some folks ascribe some sort of "nobility" to the title that doesn't necessarily belong. Some Taliban fighter can be as much a "Warrior" for their side as a Marine can be for ours.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And they were still "warriors" back when our own government was funding their rise to power ^_^

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 5:28pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    And they were still "warriors" back when our own government was funding their rise to power ^_^
    True.

Just for conversational purposes...

When it comes to warfighting and being a warrior is being an “ethical or good person” really a prerequisite? As long as the warrior accomplishes his mission, obeys orders and follows the laws of war he is a “good” warrior. The way I see it, dedication to the “art and craft” of war, technical and tactical proficiency, skill at arms and courage in battle are the “core” of being a warrior. Ethical and moral expectations of the warrior are a variable that can change depending on the culture, historic period and political history we are looking at.

Being a “hero” or a villain is a subjective thing. Hitler WAS a hero to the German people, at least for a while. He was a villain to others. There is no doubt that the Mongols, the Vikings, the German SS, were excellent warriors. One can desire to emulate their military skill, however I would hope that nobody would admire the rest of their actions.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 6:17pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I find the word frays at its edges. It makes for good copy but comes off like you actually took that Wolves/Dogs/Sheepdogs essay seriously if you say it in real life. Ethics, I think, is an independent subject and applies no more or less to people who fight.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 8:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Being a “hero” or a villain is a subjective thing. Hitler WAS a hero to the German people, at least for a while. He was a villain to others. There is no doubt that the Mongols, the Vikings, the German SS, were excellent warriors. One can desire to emulate their military skill, however I would hope that nobody would admire the rest of their actions.
    I, for one, wouldn't mind being able to ride like a Mongol, ship-build like a Viking and rock cool apparel like a member of the SS. Skill is skill, and there may not be as neat a division as some might think between military-related actions and "the rest".

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 9:09pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: A Ninja Ex-Marine Captain Speaks: What It Means to Be a Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Umm, Hitler should be commended for a quite a few of his actions. For starters, he actually cared about the welfare of his people; a trait few leaders possess. The guy mass produced (reliable) cars to be sold for low prices across Germany. He invented the fucking highway. He volunteered to be on the front lines, serving his country. Do I really need to keep going?

And what did the Vikings and Mongols do that was so terrible, that hasn't been emulated to the nth degree, and goes against human (read: animal) nature?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 11:52pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard great (albeit anecdotal) things about Jack Hoban, both as a martial artist and a person in general. He teaches Booj down at the Shore, yes. But he is really not the story here, because of the status of poor Jack's wiki page: shredded

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ion/Jack_Hoban

Dr. Humphrey's book on universal ethics, "Values for a New Millenium", is an eye opening work. Part autobiography, part exposition on universal human values, from a veteran-philosopher.

And of course being a notable person, Dr. Humphrey actually has an active wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._Humphrey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 2:15am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    And what did the Vikings and Mongols do that was so terrible, that hasn't been emulated to the nth degree, and goes against human (read: animal) nature?
    I'm not going to defend hitler. The mongols however, were actually pretty radical. They let everyone who submitted* live their lives as before, did not force religion on people or anything. The taxes just went to different people, who actually did all kinds of things with it. (pony express type deal across Eurasia for example).

The vikings were a bunch of raiders basically, they barely fought anyone that could defend themselves. Their skill was having ships that could speedily go inland a whole bunch and then retreat, so that they could strike anywhere and the local lord would always be too late with his troops.

*They did kill you, your family, friends, animals, offspring, things you had looked at once, and burned it to the ground if you did not submit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 3:58am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nööb

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He invented the fucking highway.
    Nope.

I'd also argue that his "caring about the welfare of his people" was pretty much always part of his building his cult, since most of it was handed out in combination with lots of propaganda.
    Last edited by Azatdawn; 3/03/2013 4:10am at .

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 7:26am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Umm, Hitler should be commended for a quite a few of his actions. For starters, he actually cared about the welfare of his people; a trait few leaders possess. The guy mass produced (reliable) cars to be sold for low prices across Germany. He invented the fucking highway. He volunteered to be on the front lines, serving his country. Do I really need to keep going?

For an interesting insight on how it was back than from a German's point of view. Go read Hans Fallada's "Alone in Berlin". It is a very good book.
    Hitler and the Nazi party were also lethally horrible not just towards the jews, gays, but also towards the communists, liberals etc. Thinking that he was good to his people is false. Ask the women of Berlin.
    Seriously though, read about the author, and this book, you would not regret it.
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast