Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battheo View Post
    Are you trying to claim that MMA is NOT a style? As in, it's somehow a 'super-pure' form of combat that applies to all eventualities? Or just that MMA is a better style (if the latter, why take issue with Dale being a 'style man' at all?)

Are you also aware that you are posting this question to a man who is generally regarded as being able to handle himself (in stark contrast to, for example, yourself, whose fighting credentials we are unaware of) on a thread which is entirely about one kung fu practitioner offering to 'educate' another kung fu practitioner?

I'm only asking because I think you might be the worlds greatest master of irony. But if not, then by all means tell us.
    Thanks for your post. IMHO, I do not believe in styles of any kind. IMHO some styles are stronger others are weaker but none are complete. Again IMHO MMA comes as close as I've seen as being complete because it covers so many disciplines. I have been involved in martial arts since I was a teenager, since Bruce Lee was still a young man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 2:22pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you should start a different thread were you share your wisdoms on styles that you don't believe in, of which you seem to regard MMA as the best and your deep knowledge of martial arts that comes from, as I guess, about 60 years of experience. Also, you can insult Dale Duglas there.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 2:30pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a person who has fought MMA/NHB and professional kickboxing: While a great test for skills it is not a real fight.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 2:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Maybe you should start a different thread were you share your wisdoms on styles that you don't believe in, of which you seem to regard MMA as the best and your deep knowledge of martial arts that comes from, as I guess, about 60 years of experience. Also, you can insult Dale Duglas there.
    I see that you practice Thai boxing and MMA. Good for you. No need for insults from my end young man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 2:34pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atheistmantis View Post
    Thanks for your post. IMHO, I do not believe in styles of any kind.
    By this do you mean you don't believe in using them, don't believe that they are effective, or that they are complete fighting systems?

Is MMA a complete system to you? Why or why not? (Rules? Limitations? Environment?)

I don't think you could train in "actual" fighting though, unless you want to become a Gladiator of sorts, because you'll end up shanked or shot. Despite that, I feel like MMA is a complete system, because grabbing a chair and banging someone over the head is a "skill" that we all already possess. And it's not like you'd learn how to dodge bullets and swords in any fighting system.

....except maybe ninjutsu.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 2:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Alright, thanks... and yes, I agree, doesn't really seem to explain all of this. Weird stuff that seems to come out of nowhere.
    Soory all. Meant it for Dale. Never did like being called cupcake.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 2:48pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atheistmantis View Post
    Soory all. Meant it for Dale. Never did like being called cupcake.
    I just saw your "Style field". So have you competed in MMA and if so when. If not, you need to change that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 3:44pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiosity - what exactly is everyone's definition of 'Mixed Martial Arts'. The term MMA is widely used in the name of the sport. Not of any actual fighting 'style'. If anything you could consider an MMA instructor as someone who teaches techniques from various 'styles' that works well within the rule set of the sport. (edit: at least that is my understanding of it; I'm happy to concede if this is wrong)

As for 'real' fighting I'm going to have to agree with Dale. If it was a real fight and I was under the impression I could get hurt, mamed or killed all bets are off and I'd swing just about anything I could get my hands on. But like anything else someone trained in fighting with an item is usually going to be better with it than someone not trained. A chair is a chair until it's a weapon.

Then again there are a few technique based close combat styles that use this sort of thing already. Krav Maga for instance.
    Last edited by Ignoscant; 3/12/2013 3:49pm at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 4:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I just saw your "Style field". So have you competed in MMA and if so when. If not, you need to change that.
    Studied, never competed professionally. That was in 2005. Got my ass whipped a lot. Enough to know to leave it to the young guys. Studied Tang Soo Do in 1971.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 4:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignoscant View Post
    Out of curiosity - what exactly is everyone's definition of 'Mixed Martial Arts'. The term MMA is widely used in the name of the sport. Not of any actual fighting 'style'. If anything you could consider an MMA instructor as someone who teaches techniques from various 'styles' that works well within the rule set of the sport. (edit: at least that is my understanding of it; I'm happy to concede if this is wrong)

As for 'real' fighting I'm going to have to agree with Dale. If it was a real fight and I was under the impression I could get hurt, mamed or killed all bets are off and I'd swing just about anything I could get my hands on. But like anything else someone trained in fighting with an item is usually going to be better with it than someone not trained. A chair is a chair until it's a weapon.

Then again there are a few technique based close combat styles that use this sort of thing already. Krav Maga for instance.
    There are entire threads, recent ones in fact, find one of those please.
Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 222829303132 33343536 ... LastLast