Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Weak

Posted On:
    3/14/2013 4:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3 miles is awesome :) Well done Eddie, just pulling your collective legs.
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Posted On:
    3/14/2013 10:59pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Eddie, greg...friends, aren't you guys fricken fat?

Don't go using Sammo Hung as an exception or an excuse. Be honest to Aunt Lily.
    Feel free to pop onto the web link at the bottom of my posts and see.

More importantly our fight team do hill sprints. And they are not fat.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 4:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me cardio training is best for shedding extra pounds from body. Running and cycling are my favorite cardio exercises. They help in attaining fitness goal more fast.

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 9:11am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, thanks for that, Deyan. I think it is your specificity that made your post so brilliant. You won't get that, so my suggestion is to lay off the posting for a little while until you do.

In regards to OP, consider TABATA type exercises. Mentioned before by Eddie Hardon, the interval training stuff is awesome to see spikes in your cardio.

I hate running. I hate cycling. I love swimming but don't have a pool. In the past 8 weeks I have improved my cardio immensely by doing 2-3 rounds of tabata exercises two to three times per week, plus a ridiculous amount of sparring, groundwork, wrestling, pad rounds, circuit training and more. But tabata is something that is so highly recommended it isn't even funny. It hurts if you're doing it right. Apparently it raises your VO2 max, though I am no rocket surgeon to tell you what that means. All I know is that I took 9 minutes off my 21 down burpees test in a month and my cardio recovery is pretty fucking good.

Lily, I'm extremely fit now, with minimal body fat and rapidly increasing cardio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 10:00am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tabata is one regime for HIIT (high intensity interval training). There are others. They are good for rapid gains in VO2Max compared to steady state exercise but that is only one component of cardio fitness. V02Max is basically your max oxygen uptake, For runners and other endurance athletes we also need to improve V02subMax which is efficiency and lactate threshold, not sure how HIIT protocols work for those. Certainly as runners we do interval training, but there's also tempo runs which are essentially sustained activity at the lactate threshold plus a lot of steady state easy running which we consider to be building base fitness.

Bang for your buck though HIIT is generally considered the thing.

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 11:33am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cross-fit type training is top notch.
    Basically the warmup/fitness part of fighting sports extended to a full training session is great.
    The use of your basic body weight exercises and some weight lifting drills strung together into a long "super-set" that will last a few minutes, is a great way to simulate the strain of a fight.
    Though i wouldn't neglect medium length jogs and\or biking swimming.
    So, (IMO) for a general top condition cardio, a mix of traditional old fashion training consisting of long runs etc. With cross-fit type training is your winning formula.
    But...it was said here before , if you want to improve your cardio for boxing class for example, do boxing specific exercises mainly.

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 5:56pm

Style: Dutch KB / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try running twice a day! usually in the morning its a long distance run, the second run of the day I will do a more short yet intense run (hill sprints, steps)

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 8:38am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look into metabolic conditioning workouts a la Crossfit. Do some burpee workouts, research HIT circuit workouts.

While it's a Mens Health featured workout...I've been doing the Spartacus WO. It will kick your ass when you start out.

http://www.starz.com/SiteCollectionI...us_Workout.pdf

Posted On:
    5/21/2013 1:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Hill sprints.
    Football, wrestling, or track? :)

To the OP:

Cardio is a balancing act. To reach your peak, you need to combine a rigorous workout routine, while balancing recovery and mitigating impact injury. A lot of Ironman competitors do this naturally by combining running, biking and swimming. I am a huge fan of the pool because it's about as low-impact an exercise as you can get, but if your goal is to be a runner, eventually you'll have to pound some pavement.

You'll want to combine some muscle confusion activities (hills/uneven ground) with some HIIT training (Tabata is the new "it-workout" for this). I don't think you'll need the long-distance runner's "pacing" workout. Most of that is designed to learn to run an even pace through a race -- if you need a 60s split on your mile time so you run a 4min mile, you need to be able to produce that 60s split darn near exactly. If you're running a 5-10k, you may run 1k splits of 2:45-3min to run around a 15min 5k, or 30min for a 10k (very competitive times -- don't expect to touch these times if you're not already a hardcore runner).

But you will want some long endurance workouts as well. You can get your body in shape to run 15-20 miles, but until you actually do it, you have no idea the uphill battle you're in for. The shorter workouts will get your lungs in shape, but you'll also need the muscle endurance to push out these longer workouts/races (depending on your goal). I think I saw somebody mention lactic buildup.. that kicks in real hard here.

Two things burn in this process: lungs and legs. This is a balancing act as you progress.

If your lungs are burning, but your legs aren't, do more HIIT.

If your legs are burning, but your lungs aren't, do more long distance endurance training.

As the two balance out, continue to push. Usually, they'll start to desynchronize over time. When that happens, use the above to get yourself back in sync.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 8:41am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are your thoughts on the rowing machines to get some cardio done indoor?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast