pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silo42 View Post
    I've heard of people visiting Hatsumi on vacation for like a week though with little or no experience and coming back with black belts.
    I've not heard that, but I have heard of Bujinkan black belts going to Japan for a short time and coming back with +1 Dan rank after training with Hatsumi.

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 3:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been doing Martial Arts for a long time. I spent a 10+ yrs studying Karate and Japanese Jujitsu to name a few. I then became fascinated with Aikido and BJJ around the same time in 2005/2006. I have been practicing both for about 6-7 yrs on average. To date I have obtained my Shodan in Aikido and my blue belt in BJJ as mentioned on the website. I do train and teach some guys that are past blue belt in BJJ. And I also have Brown and Black Belt BJJ instructors that provide technical guidance for BJJ component at my school.
    My reasons for combining both:
    Aikido is a beautiful Martial Art and BJJ is a very practical martial art. I wanted to continue training in both arts and since I also love teaching I decided to teach both Martial Arts together as I think they compliment each other quite well. The philosophy of non-violence in both arts is what drew me in. Also the concepts of Aiki (i.e. flowing blending movements) can be found in both arts in their own unique way, hence my reason for the combination. As for the name "Aiki" "Jiu Jitsu" pronounced part Japanese "Aiki" and part Portuguese ˈʒu ˈʒitsu. Jiu Jitsu (jujutsu/jujitsu) is a Japanese word but when pronounced in Portuguese it has the accent. In the end call it what you want, it is just a nick name for the two arts combined, shorter than saying Aikido and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. We practice Aikido and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I am not a master of either nor do I claim to be. I just enjoy training and teaching the two arts. In each Art I am under the guidance of other higher ranked teachers so this is not something I am running by myself or claiming to be a Master of any sorts or inventor of a new Martial Art. Hope that clears up any misunderstanding. I am just a humble Martial Arts Student and Teacher and just love learning and spreading both Arts.
    At SAIT where I practice Aikikai Aikido we also look at practical Traditional Aikijujitsu applications. I find that the BJJ helps me fill in gaps from my traditional Aikido/Aikijujitsu practice. I also love the sparring/rolling in BJJ which is not found in traditional Aikido practice. This is another reason for putting the two together to create a fun environment for people that want to benefit from both. All arts are great to learn and everyone will have their preferences. I just happen to be focusing on Aikido and BJJ.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 3:55pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait what? You are BJJ blue belt combining it with Aikido and teaching?

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 4:05pm

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello and welcome to this site.
    I would like to address a few points.
    1) What do you mean by
    I have been practicing both for about 6-7 yrs on average
    ... That would imply that you are doing both for 6/7 years according to my math skills. Thus why the averaging?
    2) How come you are only a BlueBelt after that time?
    3) Are the people you mention (those of higher rank) running the training or supervising it? If so, could you please name them?

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 4:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I teach some of the BJJ classes and all the Aikido Classes. I have one Brown Belt that helps teach some of the BJJ classes. Eventually I will have a black belt teaching the BJJ classes. Just want to keep training. Also location is factor. Most of the BJJ schools are futher away in the City. I am working on an Aiffiliation at the moment with a 3rd degree black belt from Brazil that will become our BJJ technical Director. I think my purple belt should be around the corner as I seem to be on par with other Purple Belts in rolling that is.

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 4:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started training BJJ in 2007 and Aikido in 2006. I train both of them together at the same time on different days though. I train with Brown Belts like Clifton Baker (GB brown belt with 4 strips) and Purple belts like James Haddad (MMA fighter) which has allowed me to improve my BJJ game. I don't go to GB often enough to get promoted. Interesting story how I got my blue belt. I attended 12 classes at the local GB and I guess I was rolling well enough that the Professor surprised me with a Blue belt. Remember though in the mean time I have been training on a regular basis with guys like James on a weekly basis, though that has seemed to slow down this year 2013. Maybe if I went more often I would get promoted faster.

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 4:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasnt really training for the belt. I was just training for the skills and experience. I like teaching because it helps me improve my skills. I find I gain greater depth of knowledge from my Teaching.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 6:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andellalexander View Post
    I wasnt really training for the belt. I was just training for the skills and experience. I like teaching because it helps me improve my skills. I find I gain greater depth of knowledge from my Teaching.
    Many people know how BJJ works. Many people train in BJJ and do not train "for the belt." 6-7 years of 2-3 days a week of training rarely nets only a blue belt.

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 6:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well what can I say. It is what it is. All I can do is keep training. The rank will come with time I suppose. In the mean time I am just going to continue enjoying training. If you are ever in the Area drop by for class.
    Last edited by andellalexander; 3/22/2013 6:32pm at . Reason: spelling.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 6:38pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, but no. Aikido is not my cup of tea and no offense, if I take up BJJ it'll be someone with more experience.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast