Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Someone here posted that they trained BJJ in the same place as Simon Yeo, and that the guy never ever trained with the regular students - privates all the way to black belt.
    Now, do people consider that a good or bad thing? From my knowledge it's best to roll with anyone and everyone you can. Privates are good sometimes to focus in on and get help with certain things. Also, seems you are much more likely to get hurt rolling with regular students than the instructor.

Here it says:

http://www.yeodojo.net/Instructors.htm

Seems weird he went on a tour with Royce Gracie after just meeting him and beginning BJJ.

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 3:36pm

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silo42 View Post
    Now, do people consider that a good or bad thing? From my knowledge it's best to roll with anyone and everyone you can. Privates are good sometimes to focus in on and get help with certain things. Also, seems you are much more likely to get hurt rolling with regular students than the instructor.
    The good thing is, and I can tell that from experience (people don't like to train in the mornings so I had 50% privates without paying for any for about a year every day), you train on what you feel you need and what an expert feels you need.
    And since the focus is on you, you tend to get more out of it. My Prof. would just drill the same position over and over and teach me combining/complementing escapes for side control until I could "with him letting me to a certain degree" escape his side control. Why? Because he noticed I am lazy when on my back - I still am, but I am a comfortable lazy thanks to him.
    So I think you can get a lot out of 1on1 direct instruction, helping with your learning curve and being tailored to your needs.

On the other hand, you don't get that much exposure and you don't get that "angry in your face, I will hand on to this for dear live" type of roll out of your Instructor... And those shape you, especially for competition and stuff.
    Id say you should have experienced both.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I consider it a bit of a red flag when a high ranking TMA person goes on to learn BJJ but only through privates. My reasoning is that it seems very ego-driven to separate yourself from the other beginners to the point that you only train with the teacher.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 4:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I consider it a bit of a red flag when a high ranking TMA person goes on to learn BJJ but only through privates. My reasoning is that it seems very ego-driven to separate yourself from the other beginners to the point that you only train with the teacher.
    I wouldn't really consider Bujinkan Ninjutsu a "TMA" or traditional martial art. Everyone knows they hand out blackbelts like nothing. A few weeks of training I think it takes. I've heard sometimes not even that.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't really consider Bujinkan Ninjutsu a "TMA" or traditional martial art.
    Well OK, if that's what you think.

Everyone knows they hand out blackbelts like nothing.
    Do you think it's not a TMA and they hand out belts too easy, or do you think it's not a TMA because they hand out belts too easy. Because if it's the latter, your reasoning is faulty.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 4:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Well OK, if that's what you think.

Do you think it's not a TMA and they hand out belts too easy, or do you think it's not a TMA because they hand out belts too easy. Because if it's the latter, your reasoning is faulty.
    From my understanding there are problems with Bujinkan's history, they aren't koryu. People like Meik Skoss and Karl Friday can't verify the lineage.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about:
    http://www.mardb.com/ninjutsu-and-koryu-bujutsu/
    Last edited by Silo42; 2/28/2013 4:42pm at .

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shock horror, a TMA with a bullshit lineage!

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 5:22pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't really consider Bujinkan Ninjutsu a "TMA" or traditional martial art. Everyone knows they hand out blackbelts like nothing. A few weeks of training I think it takes. I've heard sometimes not even that.
    I wasn't specifically talking about the Bujinkan guy- the trend I mention includes teachers from all kinds of styles that don't want to be a public white belt. But the Bujinkan doesn't give out black belts after a few weeks (or less). They don't. They teach a bunch of crap but still make you practice it for a few years to get a black belt. The people I'm talking about aren't people who studied for a few weeks, though. They're people who have invested so much time in an art that its too late to abandon it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 5:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I wasn't specifically talking about the Bujinkan guy- the trend I mention includes teachers from all kinds of styles that don't want to be a public white belt. But the Bujinkan doesn't give out black belts after a few weeks (or less). They don't. They teach a bunch of crap but still make you practice it for a few years to get a black belt. The people I'm talking about aren't people who studied for a few weeks, though. They're people who have invested so much time in an art that its too late to abandon it.
    OK, yeah I agree with that. I've heard of people visiting Hatsumi on vacation for like a week though with little or no experience and coming back with black belts.

Anyway, yeah see what you're saying.

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 6:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard of people visiting Hatsumi on vacation for like a week though with little or no experience and coming back with black belts.
    I've not heard that, but I have heard of Bujinkan black belts going to Japan for a short time and coming back with +1 Dan rank after training with Hatsumi.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast