Posted On:
    2/27/2013 4:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Moved.

This is no joke, no sarcasm. Anybody practicing any serious level of grappling is already practicing Aiki.
    Yep, I agree.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 4:56pm

Style: Judo noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    IF you have a solid understanding of balance and timing (which aikido supposedly provides) you can gain lots for your Jits. Especially Take-downs and Sweeps would benefit from such enhanced knowledge.

True - it all boils down to body mechanics - but how you get there, maybe aikido helps.

PS: Wristlocks are extremely underrated/used. I love to get a wrist lock tap instead of the armbar when they are strong at defending, people are just not looking for/expecting that. Same goes for side control, it is there, people are on alert for chokes and the kimura/americana - wrist lock? Not so much.
    Also when people are trying to strong arm me in the stand up it can trip them off and get them worried, even if not successful....
    Sounds like Judo, a much more alive and pressure tested martial art, would be more effective. Except for the wrist lock thing. Though I have learned a bunch of wrist locks in Judo.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 5:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Just not with an elitist, holier than thou, I get to wear Magic_Pants, hero worship either a batshit crazy Jap or, a wife beating fat, balding, pony-tail wearing attitude... I guess.
    Correct. Although batshit crazy, hero worship, fat, balding, pony-tail wearing cuts across the lines of aiki and ethnicity.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 5:08pm

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Sounds like Judo, a much more alive and pressure tested martial art, would be more effective. Except for the wrist lock thing. Though I have learned a bunch of wrist locks in Judo.
    I agree to a certain degree. More alive, more pressure tested but this comes at a cost... many judoka will only at a later point really understand the fine points of balance. I am not saying they won't know how to throw etc. But since you can "muscle" it to a certain degree you will miss out on certain nuances. Where aikido will remove the resistance part and adds the awareness first... call it two sites to a coin. You would like to find the balance in your approach.

Disclaimer: I do love me some judo and I think it is great, I am just saying that one could make a case of the aikido thing to a certain degree...
    Last edited by franginho; 2/27/2013 5:09pm at . Reason: typo

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 5:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 9:15pm

Style: Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    I agree to a certain degree. More alive, more pressure tested but this comes at a cost... many judoka will only at a later point really understand the fine points of balance. I am not saying they won't know how to throw etc. But since you can "muscle" it to a certain degree you will miss out on certain nuances. Where aikido will remove the resistance part and adds the awareness first... call it two sites to a coin. You would like to find the balance in your approach.

Disclaimer: I do love me some judo and I think it is great, I am just saying that one could make a case of the aikido thing to a certain degree...
    Doesn't deep understanding of balance require your opponent to resist? Doesn't awareness come from practicing techniques in a live environment? That is my point here. Otherwise aren't you just learning how to knock a compliant partner off balance?

You probably still have a point, I may be turning into a pedantic douche. :)

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 12:28am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, most beginners should choose a grappling art with more resistance then Aikido has to offer. It takes years to get that sort of sensitivity and you only get it by free grappling.

I did like the way the webpage had some of their curriculum for reference material. The instructor explained the move in great detail but I would have liked to see some free grappling ones as well.

Anyone nearby want to write a review?
    Last edited by CoffeeFan; 2/28/2013 12:31am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 3:02am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    As far as I know, the inclusion of the letter "i" in the word jiu-jitsu was originally a Portuguese romanization of the Japanese term jujutsu.
    The "jiu jitsu" spelling (also jiu-jitsu, ju-jit-su, ju-juits, etc.) were all common attempts in English circa 1899.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 4:13am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always felt sweeps and counters were the most aikidoy things in my jujitsu experience.

I like to try for renkojime (the goose-neck, come-along wrist lock) when someone is bracing against my jujigatame attempt with their off hand.

A lot of judo and jujitsu guys in my school use judo/jujitsu throws and pins during aikido as well. I like doing kani basami off of wrist locks. Maybe not practical, but it looks sweet!

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    2/28/2013 4:43am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys argueing over the spelling and how Brazilian it is, you seem to be missing that they want it to be pronounced "ˈʒu ˈʒitsu" - zhiu zhitsu (best approximation I can do). It's jiujutsu with the Brazilian accent.

Aki-jujutsu is already a thing, they acknowledge this in their "about" section. They say it's a nick-name, don't read so much into it.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast