Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question about a good style.

Hey guys I really apologize if I post this in the wrong section, (I searched, I promise) and I am also sorry for asking this question. I know you guys get this question more times than you would like.

I did a small amount of MA a few years ago and I really enjoyed it, but I had to quit for financial reasons. I am now looking to get back into shape and I thought MA would be the perfect way to do it. I get to start a new hobby, get healthy, and learn something practical.

Now to the question you are all dreading, what style should I go for?

I am 6 feet, 5 inches tall, weigh 300 pounds, and I am out of shape :)

I was thinking of avoiding anything with high kicks because I don't think those are very practical in a "real" fight. (of course I am open to anyone who can change my opinion).

I was thinking of doing Muay Thai again but I have very limited experience in it but I enjoyed it while I was there.

Okay sorry to bother you guy with this but I am just looking for some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This should have gone in newbietown, dude. It's the forum for noob questions like this. Anyway, Muay thai is good. You'll get fit and learn to fight.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also think MT is great. You will get fit for sure.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thirding muay thai. You'll get fit, learn to whoop ass, and get to do it in hilariously awesome shorts. However, this-

I was thinking of avoiding anything with high kicks because I don't think those are very practical in a "real" fight. (of course I am open to anyone who can change my opinion).
    ...is a slightly ridiculous attitude to take. If, for some reason, you end up in a fight, there's nobody holding a gun to your head demanding you throw head kicks. If there is, you might have accidentally ended up in a Van Damme movie. Besides that, they can work perfectly fine if you're good at them, just like everything else. You're a tall SOB, head kicks will be your friend in sparring.

Style
    Judo noob, injured guy.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai is the martial art I most want to add to my arsenal. So I guess I am fourthing that. If only I had more time and money.

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai and Kickboxing are absolutely amazing, though it doesn't hurt to try out a grappling art too.

Style
    FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look and see what's available near you, what class times you can make, and what's in your budget. You can talk about what the best art is for you all day, but if its not available to you you're wasting your own time thinking and dreaming about ma when you could be training. Also i don't want to sound like a Dick here butt if weight loss is your goal look at gymthat offers programs and instruction that fit your goal specifically. I must agree w the MT recommendation though and I'll add boxing as well.

Style
    Muay Thai, FMA/JKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the other posters that Muay Thai is great but there is a reason many Muay Thai fighters are short and/or lean. Improper Muay Thai kicks really stress the knee if you are heavy and the reality is that your technique will be poor for at least the first few months of training. I've trained with MT fighters of all sizes -- the heavy ones are at a disadvantage ( at least until their form is good then they kick ass).
    I would suggest doing some boxing for about a year to learn proper punching AND get fit / cut a few pounds then transition to Muay Thai. Your knees will thank you. Also, many Novice MT practitioners aren't the best at boxing so a year of boxing will be a big bonus when you start sparing. Be safe.

Style
    Judo noob, injured guy.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdmrt View Post
    I agree with the other posters that Muay Thai is great but there is a reason many Muay Thai fighters are short and/or lean. Improper Muay Thai kicks really stress the knee if you are heavy and the reality is that your technique will be poor for at least the first few months of training. I've trained with MT fighters of all sizes -- the heavy ones are at a disadvantage ( at least until their form is good then they kick ass).
    I would suggest doing some boxing for about a year to learn proper punching AND get fit / cut a few pounds then transition to Muay Thai. Your knees will thank you. Also, many Novice MT practitioners aren't the best at boxing so a year of boxing will be a big bonus when you start sparing. Be safe.
    Scores of Dutch Thai Boxers disagree with your assumption that you have to be short and skinny to practice MT. However, your point about boxing is probably well taken if the OP is worried about their knees.

Style
    Muay Thai, FMA/JKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say you can't be big and be good at Muay Thai. Just saying your joints will take a lot of unnecessary punishment until you develop solid technique.
    There is a big difference between a 220 lbs fighter and a 300 lbs "weekend warrior".

I've trained with guys who have dropped 50 lbs doing Muay Thai. But for every one of those, there is at least 5 big guys who drop out of class because of injury or frustration with lack of progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last