Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 7:19pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advise for judoka worried about knees.

I started judo at age thirty Now I'm 34 and do four days a week randori on most days and also do one night rolling with a jujitsu class Problem is I'm icing my knees nightly now and worried I may someday need some kind of surgery if I don't change something up Cardio strength energy all that I have in abundance it's these damn knees! Does someone know of some basic ways to strengthen or otherwise save on wear and tear on knees

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wear kneepads, stop doing drop knee techniques, start squatting or pulling guard while rolling and eat lots of turmeric. This is obvious advice but I didn't follow it and had to go to urgent care for chondrocalcynosis.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 9:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get a good orthopedist.

do all the stuff hedge said, of course, but you can also "pre-hab" your knee by doing strengthening exercises now *before* they get injured. i suggest heavy squats and single leg RDLs, pistols, and single leg balance drills. see a PT for guidance.

and yeah i wasn't kidding about the orthopedist. if you don't have a really good sports doc, you may want to start looking now, because when you need one, you might already want to at least have him on your radar. going to a doctor who doesn't understand full contact martial arts can be a huge waste of time, so ask around and know who you want to go to when the inevitable happens.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 4:27am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Following those two urgent care visits (when you don't have health insurance, that's where you go when things are wrong with you), the docs there told me basically "take as much ibuprofin as you can without dying". They even gave me a scrip for super giant ibuprofin pills. After a couple days my knee wasn't any smaller and I was developing ulcers. I did some research on anti inflammatory foods. Turmeric is high in curcumin and cheap, so I began eating and applying it and cut back on the ibuprofin and within a week could resume full practice.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's your bodyweight, and how much turmeric were you consuming?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 9:59am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Turmeric is high in curcumin and cheap, so I began eating and applying it and cut back on the ibuprofin and within a week could resume full practice.
    Note: You can also buy Curcumin as a supplement by itself, although it's probably more expensive than buying Turmeric.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 1:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advise. I stopped the drop knee stuff a while back though I keep doing them at tournament. I'm stopping to grab some turmeric after work. I love heavy squats but quit doing them a while back, looks like ill have to make time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 1:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to look into the curcumen too. Thanks.

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 3:05pm

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't want to turn into a one trick pony around here, but it's very important to note that pain and injury are not the same thing and not even always related. Fear of pain will increase the likelihood of future pain regardless of the presence of tissue damage.

Fun facts: sham knee surgeries were demonstrated to be exactly as effective as the real thing in one study. In another studym after a 5 year follow-up period in young (18-35) active males with acute ACL injuries there was no statistical difference between outcomes of either pain or function in those who had surgery + rehab or rehab alone.

Chronic pain is generally not "caused" by inflammation, but even so I have been very underwhelmed by the research on curcumin.

Orthopedists are important, but when all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail. I would seek out either some sort of strength coach/personal trainer or physical therapist who understands that pain is an output of the brain, not a signal from tissues. This is unfortunately very rare.

With nothing more than intuition to guide it, single leg resistance training would seem to help strengthen the muscles around the knees for single leg stance. You could probably get a similar effect, but less time efficient by working all the muscles around the hips and knees.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 4:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can say is that my ACL surgury was effective...my knee was very unstable, no ACL left.

Ibuprofen works for me, but not for everyone. To the OP, you may well just be over training given your age. You might back off a bit and let the knees recover more between training. I started Judo at 17 and was training a lot at your age...my body didn't recover like it did in my early 20s, but a lot faster than now!

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast