can someone link me some good korean makiwara ? tnx

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2013 9:30am

Style: Goju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    Any medicine applied to that, like Dit Da Jow?

If the benefits can't be explained I can't see much success in convincing others to try it, especially if it fucks the hands up like that. Can the benefits be demonstrated in some way?
    I believe the hand of the picture is Morio Higgaona´s...and that condition you see is because of hitting a stone, and not just the makiwara. Makiwara training doesn´t need to mess your hands like that.

I would say the major benefit of the makiwara is the correct alignment of the hit, the correct use of body and hip power...well develops hitting power and technique...and during that training your hand and Knuckles get conditioned...same as they will if you hit a good leather heavy bag without gloves. The Knuckle conditioning or calluses are not the objective.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2013 9:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was also wondering about the arthritis, specially as some people tend to over use the makiwara or other strengthening device. In the case of Higaonna, who can kill somebody with those hands of his, I know that his mobility is bad...his hands have suffered a lot under that kind of training...he hits the column of his basemente, for Christ sake¡¡

On the other hand, I was in a Uechi Ryu seminar some years ago...in Uechi they use a lot of techniques that are delivered with finger thrust, such as front kicks, one knucle punches etc. I askes the sensei about the arthritis thing...his hands looked normal for aKarateka, not as hogaonna´s...and he said, if trained correctly there was no problem...as he said it, he put all the weight of his body in this toes like a ballerina and started to go up and down on them¡¡¡

I had to pick up my jaw...He also told me that you had to train the mobility of those appendix. If you do a lot of makiwara or bag training, also condition your toes etc, you can do exercises to gain mobility, such as playing guitar, or just try to move your toes independently from each other.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2013 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccamara View Post
    I believe the hand of the picture is Morio Higgaona´s...and that condition you see is because of hitting a stone, and not just the makiwara. Makiwara training doesn´t need to mess your hands like that.

I would say the major benefit of the makiwara is the correct alignment of the hit, the correct use of body and hip power...well develops hitting power and technique...and during that training your hand and Knuckles get conditioned...same as they will if you hit a good leather heavy bag without gloves. The Knuckle conditioning or calluses are not the objective.

That makes sense, I guess it helps with distancing also. Used to hit the wooden dummy with that objective in mind; the ones at the school had some give to them not as snappy as the makiwara though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 3:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to use more the bags, but is because I don´t have a proper makiwara, have to buy or build one :)
    The thing is at home I have one of those bags that have human form, and at the middle, where it´s flat and the leather (synthetic) is harder, when you hit the feeling is like a makiwara, and the bouncing is very little...it´s a similar feeling, and it´s nice to train straight punches. The wooden dummy is also a good training partner :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 7:59pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have always wanted to build me a makiwara. As a Kyokushin student we don't traditionally use them so much, generally preferring to use the heavy bag and each other ;)

From what little I know of them, are makiwara used to develop penetration in strikes? I thought they were used for striking to body targets, hence generally being set at chest level.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 10:32pm

Style: Karate, w/ a side of judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by silvers_ghost View Post
    I have always wanted to build me a makiwara. As a Kyokushin student we don't traditionally use them so much, generally preferring to use the heavy bag and each other ;)

From what little I know of them, are makiwara used to develop penetration in strikes? I thought they were used for striking to body targets, hence generally being set at chest level.
    Really? I know of a lot of Kyokushin people that use them--Mas Oyama was a major proponent of makiwara training, after all.

Makiwara practice strengthens the structure of your strikes, which does aid in penetration. Some makiwara are set to the height of the user's chin, while others are set to the height of the user's sternum, and most are the height of the user's solar plexus. Punches are best used to the body if you don't have gloves on, for safety purposes, so that may be where that comes from. Still, punches aren't the only strike you can train on a makiwara, so it really does come down to personal preference. If you make a short makiwara, though, you are limited to the heights you can use, but if you make a tall makiwara, you can move the pad to whatever height you want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2013 1:30am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsumusha View Post
    Really? I know of a lot of Kyokushin people that use them--Mas Oyama was a major proponent of makiwara training, after all.
    One of the many ways that Kyokushin has departed from the source since Sosai passed :(

Good to see that some dojos are still using it though.

Posted On:
    6/08/2013 1:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsumusha View Post
    Makiwara practice strengthens the structure of your strikes, which does aid in penetration.
    When practising headbutts on makiwara, a metronome set on Allegrissimo is invaluable.

Start with an hour nonstop and work your way up from there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 5:23pm

Style: Jujitsu, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When training in Karate, we got told to hit the makiwara with power, snap and speed but once I've started with jujitsu - the sensei is adamant to punch slowly, with force and focus. Two very different salad...
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234