Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Shiai Video

As I can't figure out how to upload a video someone posted on Facebook, I'm putting it here. Blackmonk opened the door to posting videos of his students, LOL, so here I go.

The smaller of the two is one the two guys who have made it to shodan with me as their instructor. He is 22 or 23 years old now, and has been doing Judo since he was 7 years old (way before I ever knew him).

The videos are from a competition earlier this year. -73 kg division.

His opponent is a very good young and upcoming black-belt who has excellent Judo. He is a bit younger, but competed at the Canada Summer Games and Canadian nationals this year.

So, to make this more didactic, this is a good example of kenka yotsu gripping and strategy. His opponent is a very strong lefty. My student is really experienced at dealing with lefties, though...

https://www.facebook.com/kara.goodma...type=3&theater

So white stays very persistent in working on getting inside position with his lapel hand. Blue is quite a bit taller and has a decided reach advantage. He goes for a outside shoulder grip for some reason...probably because his Uchi Mata is really, really good (I've seen him fight many times). He can usually control the pace and distance, attacking with Ouchi Gari then Uchi Mata or Tai Otoshi.

The first sequence has blue basically giving up inside position, but he is trying to use his reach advantage. White is fine with that as long as he is inside. They have a subtle and hard to see (and fast) fight for sleeve control, and end up basically neutral.

Blue attacks with Ouchi Gari to see what happens, white blocks, circles, attacks by stepping across, blue dodges around, white attacks with ouchi gari, blue attempts to counter to the rear, white counters the counter with another Ouchi Gari, and white ends up on top (that was almost ippon for white...).

The thing to note is the flow of grip/attack/counterattack/counterattack and then seamless flow to ne waza, then the same type of move/counter-move and flow in ne waza.

I can say for a fact that if you (general) do not train that way (drills) you won't be able to fight that way. Period, end of story.

White has been trained that way pretty much exclusively (by me) for the last 8 or 9 years. So he does it pretty much without thinking (cognitively).

The next sequence is more of the same. You see blue get up from ne waza a bit slow. Reason being, he's in a mild state of shock that white is still in the game, plus, the head control that white exerted (shoulder on his face, I'm sure...) was very uncomfortable.

In this case though, blue is more hesitant, and white is more confident. The whole psychology of the thing is important...

Blue slows down pace of gripping...he feints low and tries to get a more conventional collar grip, but white does not bite, parries the incoming higher grip, and gets solid inside grip inside and nominal sleeve control.

Blue makes an opening partially committed attack with Ouchi Gari to distract white and to check his reaction. White uses that attack to consolidate inside grip and draw blues sleeve more into his side of the space and create movement.

Lateral movement right to left by blue, blue tries to overcome/neutralize the strong inside collar grip by going outside shoulder/upper arm again. White maintains inside grip, gets better sleeve control and adjusts his position, subtly taking the initiative in the sideways movement.

Unknown to blue, white has practiced throwing moving sideways (unlike many many judoka) extensively.

Blue is essentially wide open...

White does a very quick studder step (maybe this is the dynamic delay?) to break the rhythm and get ahead, while giving blue a shock pull to the front.

Then Kouchi Gari attack by white. Notice how he pins the weight on blues foot and then drives through. Maintains control all the way to the tatami, pins, and wins the match.
    Last edited by BKR; 6/10/2015 1:43pm at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Second match...

https://www.facebook.com/kara.goodma...type=3&theater

Yes, this match was that fast, only a few seconds.

Blue came out very aggressively, not sure why. That was a gambit that might have worked. Again, white has been trained to deal with that (ask anybody who has done Judo with me, LOL) and wasn't surprised. In fact, he attacked in the midst of it, trying Uchi Mata.

The thing to watch here again is the interplay of attack/counterattack and the counter of the counter for ippon. Central to that ability is white keeping his inside position and dynamic posture adjustments. Blue is very athletic and has great balance, movement, and posture (again, I've watched him compete for several years).

Here is the same match from another angle.
    https://www.facebook.com/christine.a...type=3&theater

You can see the initial grip sequence here. You can see white cutting the angle while they maneuver, then blue goes for an over the back grip (he is taller and has reach advantage). White slips attacks to slip that grip, leaving blue with an overgrip around the outside, which is part of what he does anyway.

It's important to point out that white, although he got caught over the back, used an attack to slip the grip rather than get defensive and just try to cut it. He used the attack to consolidate his inside position.

Again, we get lateral movement, but blue drops his hand further (white is wiggling and shrugging to loosen the over-arm grip. Blue is lagging to let white get ahead, trying to set up a Tani Otoshi or Kosoto Gari attack. If white were to step off, he would go for a big hip throw to the left...his attack plan is well thought out and praticed.

White move ahead again, which is what blue is waiting for...blue goes for the near leg from the outside...

But white adjusts (plus blue did not pin him on the leg), counters with Uchi Mata, blue counters that with another Tani Otoshi type attempt, white circles and counters that with Ouchi Gari for ippon. He hurt his hand when blue landed on it.

The dynamic balance and flow from both judoka is excellent.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    Se-Jong TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The video links don't work (or aren't public).

This content is currently unavailable
    The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kanegs View Post
    The video links don't work (or aren't public).
    OK, well, they are from a facebook page. I thought they would post, but I guess not, as the originator has them posted as for "friends" only. I don't think they were ever uploaded to Youtube.

Too bad, they were to interesting matches.

Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    delete
    Last edited by BKR; 6/10/2015 4:15pm at .

Style
    Se-Jong TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It works for me.

Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Now with Video !

I figured out how to download a "private" FB video... I wonder how many people realize it's pretty easy...

This post comments and has video on the first match.

The smaller of the two is one the two guys who have made it to shodan with me as their instructor. He is 22 or 23 years old now, and has been doing Judo since he was 7 years old (way before I ever knew him).

The videos are from a competition earlier this year. -73 kg division.

His opponent is a very good young and upcoming black-belt who has excellent Judo. He is a bit younger, but competed at the Canada Summer Games and Canadian nationals this year.

So, to make this more didactic, this is a good example of kenka yotsu gripping and strategy. His opponent is a very strong lefty. My student is really experienced at dealing with lefties, though...

There are two videos of each match, from different angles.
    First match:
    http://tinypic.com/m/ivl5ps/1

http://tinypic.com/m/ivl5ro/1

So white stays very persistent in working on getting inside position with his lapel hand. Blue is quite a bit taller and has a decided reach advantage. He goes for a outside shoulder grip for some reason...probably because his Uchi Mata is really, really good (I've seen him fight many times). He can usually control the pace and distance, attacking with Ouchi Gari then Uchi Mata or Tai Otoshi.

The first sequence has blue basically giving up inside position, but he is trying to use his reach advantage. White is fine with that as long as he is inside. They have a subtle and hard to see (and fast) fight for sleeve control, and end up basically neutral.

Blue attacks with Ouchi Gari to see what happens, white blocks, circles, attacks by stepping across, blue dodges around, white attacks with ouchi gari, blue attempts to counter to the rear, white counters the counter with another Ouchi Gari, and white ends up on top (that was almost ippon for white...).

The thing to note is the flow of grip/attack/counterattack/counterattack and then seamless flow to ne waza, then the same type of move/counter-move and flow in ne waza.

I can say for a fact that if you (general) do not train that way (drills) you won't be able to fight that way. Period, end of story.

White has been trained that way pretty much exclusively (by me) for the last 8 or 9 years. So he does it pretty much without thinking (cognitively).

The next sequence is more of the same. You see blue get up from ne waza a bit slow. Reason being, he's in a mild state of shock that white is still in the game, plus, the head control that white exerted (shoulder on his face, I'm sure...) was very uncomfortable.

In this case though, blue is more hesitant, and white is more confident. The whole psychology of the thing is important...

Blue slows down pace of gripping...he feints low and tries to get a more conventional collar grip, but white does not bite, parries the incoming higher grip, and gets solid inside grip inside and nominal sleeve control.

Blue makes an opening partially committed attack with Ouchi Gari to distract white and to check his reaction. White uses that attack to consolidate inside grip and draw blues sleeve more into his side of the space and create movement.

Lateral movement right to left by blue, blue tries to overcome/neutralize the strong inside collar grip by going outside shoulder/upper arm again. White maintains inside grip, gets better sleeve control and adjusts his position, subtly taking the initiative in the sideways movement.

Unknown to blue, white has practiced throwing moving sideways (unlike many many judoka) extensively.

Blue is essentially wide open...

White does a very quick stutter step (maybe this is the dynamic delay?) to break the rhythm and get ahead, while giving blue a shock pull to the front.

Then Kouchi Gari attack by white. Notice how he pins the weight on blues foot and then drives through. Maintains control all the way to the tatami, pins, and wins the match.
    Last edited by BKR; 6/10/2015 4:31pm at .

Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kanegs View Post
    It works for me.
    OK, I meant to delete that. Not sure how long the link will last.

Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Second match... with video now...

http://tinypic.com/m/ivl5p2/1

http://tinypic.com/m/ivl5s0/1

Yes, this match was that fast, only a few seconds.

Blue came out very aggressively, not sure why. That was a gambit that might have worked. Again, white has been trained to deal with that (ask anybody who has done Judo with me, LOL) and wasn't surprised. In fact, he attacked in the midst of it, trying Uchi Mata.

The thing to watch here again is the interplay of attack/counterattack and the counter of the counter for ippon. Central to that ability is white keeping his inside position and dynamic posture adjustments. Blue is very athletic and has great balance, movement, and posture (again, I've watched him compete for several years).

You can see the initial grip sequence here. You can see white cutting the angle while they maneuver, then blue goes for an over the back grip (he is taller and has reach advantage). White slips and attacks to neutralize that, leaving blue with an over grip around the outside, which is part of what he does anyway.

It's important to point out that white, although he got caught over the back, used an attack to slip the grip rather than get defensive and just try to cut it. He used the attack to consolidate his inside position and regain initiative.

Again, we get lateral movement, but blue drops his hand further (white is wiggling and shrugging to loosen the over-arm grip. Blue is lagging to let white get ahead, trying to set up a Tani Otoshi or Kosoto Gari attack. If white were to step off, he would go for a big hip throw to the left...his attack plan is well thought out and practiced.

White move ahead again, which is what blue is waiting for...blue goes for the near leg from the outside...

But white adjusts (plus blue did not pin him on the leg), counters with Uchi Mata, blue counters that with another Tani Otoshi type attempt, white circles and counters that with Ouchi Gari for ippon. He hurt his hand when blue landed on it.

The dynamic balance and flow from both judoka is excellent.

If any of you followed the thread with gurugeorge, you might get a better idea of what I was trying to get through to him.

Somehow both those judoka have managed to develop incredible dynamic balance...

Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bump for goodlun...this whle thread is kind of hard to follow as I could not get the video to show up directly, plus I wrote the commentary in a fair amount of hurry. I kept going back and seeing more and more stuff to point out.

One thing of interests to me is how to apply the "Von Flue" type choke instead of extracting the leg. See the first match, where white ends up on top with his leg "locked down" (ni-ju garami in Judo terminology) by blue. If the ref had given a few more second, white would have gotten the leg out, IMO an IME.

In that case, you can see in the second view of the first video, the amount of pressure white was putting on blues head/face/neck.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last