Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 11:08am

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What kind of karate (is competing with Wrestling for the Olympics)?

I have noticed that "Karate" outside of Tae Kwon Do is one of the sports on the short list to become a "core sport" of the Olympic Games, along with Wrestling now: http://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-exec...0-games/190772

My question is: What kind of Karate? Obviously it would be multiple styles, but as we know there are a lot of different ways to compete in "Karate." Does anyone know of a link to a more specific description of the "Karate" trying to become an Olympic sport?

(Is there another thread I should be looking at that answers this question? Does this question belong in another section of the forums?)

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 11:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's going to be the WKF shiai-kumite type.
    Or the gayest type of fighting after Taekwondo ATA/STF. (A bit less gay).

You don't even have to hit the other most of time, and when you hit you must do it just ONCE, and do it SOFTLY. Also you have to bounce like a tennis ball the whole match.

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 1:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by comadrealpha View Post
    It's going to be the WKF shiai-kumite type.
    Or the gayest type of fighting after Taekwondo ATA/STF. (A bit less gay).

You don't even have to hit the other most of time, and when you hit you must do it just ONCE, and do it SOFTLY. Also you have to bounce like a tennis ball the whole match.
    Like Karate needs to be flushed any further down the shitter.

Given its effects on to other combat sports, Olympic participation might just be the coup-de-grace Karate needs to die just a little less slowly.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 2/25/2013 1:04pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 12:01pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much what you need to know is here: http://www.usankf.org

They are spearheading the karate movement, Roger Jarrett has been a protagonist for this for decades. Jake Lease, one of the guys from our group, is now the NKF CEO and has been in Colo Springs for a few years, putting a lot of focus on the Olympics. I certainly don't want to see wrestling go away, but I guess I am biased toward the 2020 karate movement because so many of my friends are involved (actually, a girl from my dojo is on the Junior Olympic team and will likely try out as an adult soon and could be on the 2020 team if it passes as an Olympic sport).

i don't practice this type of karate, and not everyone trains in sport style in our org, but I am still supporting it as a sport our of loyalty. Getting it into the Olympics is tough because of all the rules and regs that have to be agreed upon. That's why TKD beat out Shotokan for Olympic qualification in the first place, years ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 2:55am

Style: Wado Kai/Ryu/Intntl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Karate needs for Olympic recognition, is a rule set that includes basic take-down grappling, clean striking (with padded elbows/knees), leg kicks and some proper REAL sport rules. In keeping with the spirit of the "olympic ideals", as espoused by the governing bodies. And them hang them by their hypocrisy, when they fail to deliver/comply.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 6:54am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are take-down rules, though they've progressively become weaker. It will be interesting to see what rule will make it in the Olympics. I can't remember what is currently being proposed as I haven't done competitive sparring since I was in HS, and have never done it for the organization I currently belong to...its something like you have to be actively attempting something, or land something, within a certain amount of time or the refs break it up. Don't quote me on this, I think its like 15 seconds. Not long at all. I agree with leg kicks. Basically I equate it to kendo or fencing but with open hands. A sport in its own right, definitely requiring skill, but not really martial.

Like I mentioned above, a girl at our dojo is on the Jr Olympic team and she is very impressive; amazing timing and speed, and can generate pretty decent power when she tags you. They are definitely athletes, but its not as gladiatorial as some would like to see. Also, expect about as much controversy over scoring as gymnastics. Probably more due to all the simultaneous strikes.

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 1:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll just leave this here:

Olympic Kudo.

No ruleset-changes required.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 2:29pm

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    I'll just leave this here:

Olympic Kudo.

No ruleset-changes required.
    1- Chest protector that scores hits that gets broken down with every takedown or throw, stop reset change go do it again
    2-Shin-foot pads
    3- Space helmet that can score hits.
    4- International non hereditary democratic governing body.

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 6:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
    1- Chest protector that scores hits that gets broken down with every takedown or throw, stop reset change go do it again
    2-Shin-foot pads
    3- Space helmet that can score hits.
    4- International non hereditary democratic governing body.
    I don't think that's going to happen... Wanna know why? Boxing has not chest pad (nor does Kudo for whom doesn't know about it), and there's no problem... also Kudo does not have many injures, it's pretty safe. I think it can do great in olympics without changes.

I'm with Vieux Normand, Kudo for Olympics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2013 7:41am

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by comadrealpha View Post
    I don't think that's going to happen... Wanna know why? Boxing has not chest pad (nor does Kudo for whom doesn't know about it), and there's no problem... also Kudo does not have many injures, it's pretty safe. I think it can do great in olympics without changes.

I'm with Vieux Normand, Kudo for Olympics.
    I wish you are right
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast