Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Effective MA Style for MIL/LEO work..

Hey all,

I definetly understand I'm opening a can of worms here, but to current MIL/LEO folk, what martial art styles have you found the most beneficial? Ive come from a mil/ security background, so have a fair idea, but am currently looking for something to throw myself wholeheartedly into.
    Just to beat some to it, yes I appreciate "hollow point"-do" , or any of its offshoots trumps most.
    The styles I have been considering currently are
    WC - (less traditional, sems to be based on self defense, would be effective from an "interview" stance, good level of control, compliance, takedowns options, etc)
    BJJ/JJJ - fairly modern form of JJJ, very familiar techniques and takedowns etc. Cant train as often though
    MMA - speaks for itself, though the sport application is a major stopping point for me

Also, I understand MIL and LEO are very different goal-wise, but for the purpose of this discussion lets focus on LEO from the street all the way to police tactical teams and such.
    If anyone has experience in these areas would love to hear from you,

Steve

Style
    Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    * I'm also from Aus/Melb, so some of the training opportunities available stateside are unheard of here

Style
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends what kind of environment you will be working in. Regardless, your employer (Academy, Basic, etc.) should provide rudimentary hands on training.

In my personal experience working patrol, keep it basic. I personally preferred FMA, as it included weapons, empty hand and some grappling (Dumog).

BJJ has been shown to be effective, but be wary. Two people against one negates ground grappling, unless you are one of the two. However, standing joint manipulation is needed at times.

Look at what your employer provides in training and supplement that as close as you can, and try and incorporate the three ranges (weapon, striking, grappling).

Forget WC.

Style
    BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve0 View Post
    WC - (less traditional, sems to be based on self defense, would be effective from an "interview" stance, good level of control, compliance, takedowns options, etc)
    Avoid unless the school has full contact leitai, sanshou, or sanda record.

BJJ/JJJ - fairly modern form of JJJ, very familiar techniques and takedowns etc. Cant train as often though
    Yes, and let your coach know that you're looking for a focus on weapon retention.

MMA - speaks for itself, though the sport application is a major stopping point for me
    If the sport application is a major stopping point, then you shouldn't waste your time with martial arts, and just stick to your hollow point-do.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In melbs it is pretty much the beej for any kind of decent wrestling.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo to supplement the arm locks you would be drilling. AIkido/Krav Maga/jjj for some small joint manipulation. But for some real ability coupled with real fitness you want to cross train grappling and striking.
    I understand that for a LEO to punch someone in the face is a problem, so MT for kicks, and knees that leave less evidence, but are highly effective in taking someone down.
    So either MMA, or at least Judo with some MT.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lets focus on LEO from the street all the way to police tactical teams and such.
    If anyone has experience in these areas would love to hear from you,

Steve
    I have experience in these exact areas. I've trained in many martial arts over the years. FMA, specifically largo or long range FMA, and corto or knife range FMA. I like the footwork, range, and timing that you get from training stick and knife, but it must be alive. Not doing pattern drills, and fighting with foam noodles.

BJJ is good, but you will need to have days where you can train it focusing on weapon retention, dealing with knives, and getting on your feet rather than staying on the ground. If they let you do that, then it is golden. Wrestling or judo are just is good with the same conditions.

Boxing is really good for footwork and striking. As said above striking to the face isn't necessarily on the use of force continuum, but it is for self defense.

What most people that I know do, is get some formal training in judo, boxing, sambo, FMA, BJJ; and then meeting up outside of work to train job specific combatives.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Id recommend FMA. Depending on the group FMA often covers the major ranges and areas. Empty hand, weapons, standup grappling, Although Judo and bjj will offer much more grappling. I think there's a Balintawak FMA group in Melbourne, you might look them up.

Style
    Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks very much for the replies guys. It would seem FMA is the place to head, going to do bit of a search around the area for that style, migjt supplement with the bjj/jjj as well.

Appreciate the help folks

Style
    Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately all fma schools are inner city, about 3 hours round trip, have to keep looking

Page 1 of 3 123 Last