Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 5:33pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair his plates are small so his setup doesn't look like it normally does with big plates.

I think his deadlift would improve greatly if he sets up at the correct height.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 1:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SQUAT:

What I can see looks inoffensive.
    Stuff I can't check from the video?
    -Are you keeping your heels on the ground at the bottom? (you should be)
    -Are you shoving your knees out? (you should be)

PRESS:

This needs some work.
    -Instead of tilting your head back (looking at the ceiling), keep your chin level with the ground and pull your head back. If you do it right, you'll have a double chin.
    -The bar should not be moving horizontally. In addition to the head position thing, start and finish the rep as far up your chest as possible.
    -The positioning of the barbell in your hands is weak and bad for your wrist. It should be closer to being in line with your forearm. See the second point in this video (starts about 1:15 in):

-When pressing, your body should be basically a straight line from heels to crown; quads tight, glutes tight, core tight, head level and pulled back. If you want to do incline bench press, do it on an incline bench, but the press is no longer an Olympic event, so there's no reason to arch your back like that.
    -There are people who say to finish the press by pushing your head forward. In my humble opinion, those people are dicks; ignore them. Keep your head in line with your back. If you want something else to do on the way up, think about elevating your shoulders on the way up to avoid impingement.

Sorry for all the words; your best bet is probably to go back to an empty barbell and focus on one fix at a time.

DEADLIFT:

The thing to note is (as per Mister) that by using smaller-radius plates, you're starting with the barbell closer to the ground, so the exercise you're actually performing is a deficit deadlift. Given that you're not intending to do a deficit deadlift at this phase of your training, you can either:
    1) use full-sized plates, OR
    2) put a plate or two under each side of the barbell to lift it off the ground back to normal height.
    Given that you're pressed for time and doing some work below 135lbs, I'd recommend the latter.

Once you've fixed that, you should take a starting position with your hips higher (as hamstring mobility allows; don't let your back round), tension in your hamstrings, and your knees further back. If the bar is moving horizontally to get around your knees, either they're too far forward or you're extending your hips too soon.

That said, I liked that you kept your lower back straight throughout the pulls. Keep that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 7:37am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the input.
    Squat: I keep my toes almost lifted, so I try to stay on my heels. Sometimes my knees want to come in, I try to correct that when I notice it by pushing them out or adjusting my foot rotation.

Will focus on the press (mainly empty bar/tiny weight), watching the video makes me notice things I didn't feel and thanks for pointing the other stuff out.

Deadlift, I will try to use the "plates under" thing or change my warm up set up, depending on what feels better.

Will work on the stuff and report back to you guys.
    Thanks once more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 11:19am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the squat, no need to stay on your heels bro, keep the weight over the mid foot.

If your shoulder hurts and you don't know why I would look into bench form.

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 11:42am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Shoulder issue had nothing to do with lifting (I think)... I was fine and over the weekend it just acted up, might be I slept on it or what have you. After making sure I have it "popped in" before sleeping it got better.

Posted On:
    5/21/2013 1:13am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Just curious, why do you want OP to add pulldowns when they are already wanting to do pullups?
    Contrary motion, man.. come on. (Now, where's the "sarcasm" button???)

To the OP, I would suggest getting a routine that works is more important than getting a routine that fits your parameters. If you know what you need, design it yourself. Otherwise, let people design something that works, and if you have to write it down, buy a 99c notepad and write it down. ;)
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567