Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/19/2013 8:19am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, there seems to be a bit of a confusion of terminology here...
    Pressured breathing for me are those tiny breaths you see women giving birth do, or people who don't know how to apply strength and are gassed and you tell them to breath.

What I think you are talking about is "controlled breathing" where I try to breath into my belly button and at the same time flex my abs against this motion, this will tighten my torso and lock my spine into place. THAT I do.

Now there were to issues, Where do I inhale and where do I exhale on the lift?
    Here I have two options in my mind. (lets do it on the example of the squat)
    1) I inhale, go down, and while I come up I slowly and deliberately start to exhale with most of the breathing out process being done when I am back at my starting position. Rinse and repeat.
    2) I inhale, do the entire move (down and up again) then I exhale.

I am doing number one right now.

The other issue I asked you russ, how will addressing my set of 5 as 5 sets of 1 change in terms of pause between reps and how would this impact my strength development?

I will try to get a video on Wednesday because then I will do Squat, Press and Dead on the same day... Lets so how that will go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2013 9:56am

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do number two.

I thought I made that very clear with my long and redundant post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2013 1:21pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Do number two.

I thought I made that very clear with my long and redundant post.
    This.

Holding your breath the whole time means the spine is protected the whole time. I usually breath between each full squat movement, deadlift, and clean. I can get away with several press reps before breathing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2013 1:23pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    The other issue I asked you russ, how will addressing my set of 5 as 5 sets of 1 change in terms of pause between reps and how would this impact my strength development?

I will try to get a video on Wednesday because then I will do Squat, Press and Dead on the same day... Lets so how that will go.
    It shouldn't impact your strength development. It does give you a few seconds to breath, reset your grip/stance/back and rep again. And that means better form usually.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/19/2013 11:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    Strength development? Probably not much of a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 12:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, got the video...
    Spoiler:
    sorry for the quality etc. had to place the cam on the dumbbell rack and it turned during press

Is my form okay?

That stupid feeling in my shoulder is acting up and it feels like I have a nerve pinched or something, I have to squeeze a certain spot and move it in a certain way (it sounds like it is setting itself back in place) to make it stop feeling funny. If it ain't better today after Jits I might take a day off and ice that thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 4:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you using 45lb/20kg plates on your deadlift?

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 4:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope, I am doing 3X10 and 1x5 on each end of the bar. The angle makes it hard to see I guess.
    I don't use 20kg plates (because of the way my warmup sets are laid out) I use 15kg plates max (on the squat I am at 15kg,2x10kg,5kg,2kg each end)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 4:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude if you don't mind my suggestion using 20kg plates on your deadlift is much better because you'll be able to setup much better because it sets the bar at the correct height on your shins.

If you want to keep using 15kg plates or 10kg plates, and you just like doing that (although not ideal) maybe lay down a couple of plates under your plates to set them at the correct height.

You can use the safety on your squat rack to change weights easily if you choose to start using 20kg then put the bar back on the ground and start deadlifting.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 5:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cant see the squats.

if youre gonna do an overhead press, please dont do it like that. i could actually feel my spine compressing watching you do that. this is an overhead press-

notice how his body is straight. if you cant do that, drop the weight, or get ready to spend some money on rehab for your back when you get to snap city.

for your deadlifts, youre not doing a deadlift, youre picking a weight up off the floor. you need someone in person to show you the difference. heres another rippetoe vid-

look at the position of her back during the start of the movement vs your video, and youll see what i mean.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast