Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 7:38am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried it today.
    I did a combination of tight abs and breathing against my belly, worked like a charm on the squat. Felt super solid and even more powerful, so much so that I was tempted to add another 2 reps on the last set but I refrained.
    Deadlift felt good up to the last warmup set. Starting my work out set a metric ton of cluster **** entered and all that was missing was me not making the lift or getting injured.
    I started out normal, up lift went well but when I wanted to put the weight down I just didn't have any power and posture in my back. I tried second rep, went so so. At the third rep I was loosing the arch in my back and I couldn't even get my knees between my legs. Total **** up.

I will most certainly stall and maybe even de-load. I also think of adding a few light sets of the dead on Mondays and Fridays, haven't made my mind up about that. I do this lifting thing to supplement my Jits but I can't do Jits if I hurt my back... so I will certainly not go up with weak form on this lift.

Thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 3:45pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry man, can't help you. Don't know what's wrong. Did you release your breath at the top of the deadlift or did you keep holding it till you set the weight back down?

Standard procedure on the program is if you missed the weight try again two more times, if you miss again on both occasions deload 10%.

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 4:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the breathing, I breath in before I lift the weight of the ground, I breath out when I am up right, breath and back down. Issue is, on that back down I have no good posture and my back turns upwards instead of the little arch towards the ground.

Issue isn't that I missed, I did the lift, all reps, but I lost form during the lift 4 out of 5 reps which is an indicator that the I should work on better posture first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's better to keep the breath in till you lower the bar back down. Exhaling at the top makes lowering a little rocky for me.

Some say the important part of the deadlift is the lift, you don't have to lower it slowly.

I see all elite lifters just controlling the bar back down not lowering it in a deliberate slow manner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 11:10pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that holding your breath may help with lowering it (I know that, if your gym is like mine, just letting it drop isn't going to go down with the other folks in the gym).

I know for me, the "chest up" cue really helps me keep my lower back in position. But, if your posture is constantly going to ****, deloading and focusing on form may be wise.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 12:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were compelled to do a multi-rep set of deadlifts, I would do one of two things:
    1) Treat it as a series of singles, resetting between each rep, OR
    2) approach the breathing much like a set of squats: take air at the top, hold it all the way down and back up, repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 7:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    If I were compelled to do a multi-rep set of deadlifts, I would do one of two things:
    1) Treat it as a series of singles, resetting between each rep, OR
    2) approach the breathing much like a set of squats: take air at the top, hold it all the way down and back up, repeat.
    1) Could you elaborate a bit on how this would influence strength development?

One of the things I am honestly stupid about is rest time between sets/reps. I am doing it on a "as I feel" basis. There are days where I pump out the warm-up and work out sets in a super fast way, other days I turn the warm up almost into cardio but the work sets I go slow in the reps and take long breaks... I used to do all my work out on a "how I feel today" basis. Now with the starting strength program I am following a fixed/planned approach for the first time and I have to say it seems to work.

2) How would that work? I breath, go down, set grips, lift, breath, put the weight down, lift it again and breath again? Sounds like a lot of pressured breathing which I thought was not the best thing to do during physical activity. I thought the breath as you move approach was better....

On the general issue of just putting the weight down. I could just drop the thing but I am still concerned about my form because even though it would be for a shorter time, my disks get pressed in an uneven way (upward arch) non the less. I try to avoid exactly that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 10:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude.

Stop getting your fitness information from beachbody.com.

Pressurized breathing protects your spine like nothing else.

With the deadlift:

Rep 1: Deep breath, pull, set bar down, release breath.

Rep 2: Deep breath, pull, set bar down, release breath.

etc.

Just like a squat:

Rep 1: Deep breath, squat down, squat up, release breath.

Rep 2: Deep breath, squat down, squat up, release breath.

etc.

Bench Press:

Rep 1: Deep breath, press down, press up, release breath.

Rep 2: Deep breath, press down, press up, release breath.

etc.

Overhead press:

Rep 1: Deep breath, press up, press down, release breath.

Rep 2: Deep breath, press up, press down, release breath.

etc.

It's one thing doing cardio where you have to make sure you're breathing consistently so you don't gas out and another thing to lift heavy weights.

The important thing is to keep your torso pressurized while moving under load. It generates more force, and protects your spine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 6:24pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That stabilizing breath is the whole point of wearing a belt while squatting. It gives the trunk muscles something to push against during the movement (with the breath held and trunk being engaged) and it gives that much more stability.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 11:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    1) Could you elaborate a bit on how this would influence strength development?
    By taking air, you avoid fucking up your back, which is good for strength development.

2) How would that work? I breath, go down, set grips, lift, breath, put the weight down, lift it again and breath again?
    Nope. It's an either-or thing for me.

EITHER I regrip and take air between reps (at the bottom)
    OR I don't regrip and take air at the top.

Sounds like a lot of pressured breathing which I thought was not the best thing to do during physical activity. I thought the breath as you move approach was better....
    If you don't have abdominal pressure to support your lumbar spine, you're liable to wind up either flexed or hyperextended. That's bad for you.

By the way, earlier, when I said intrathoracic pressure, I meant intraabdominal pressure. Herp-a-derp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast