Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 9:39am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to give you guys an update...

I am doing a StartingStrenght variation (Practical Programming) for the last weeks, because I can't do PowerCleans (Space and instruction aren't available)

All is fine,
    I am lifting my own body weight on the Squat and Deadlift right now (still going up every time)
    I am doing fine on the Bench and the PullUps/ChinUps
    Only issue I have, my Press is piss weak. I was sick last week and I had to skip a day, tried to keep the increases on the Press and it just didn't go well. I get the first set of my max. for the day but after that, the weight just won't come off my shoulders. When I deload 10 lbs I can finish the work out like a charm. So I will have to start over again for the Press I think.

As for the diet, I try to get in a liter of milk a day (a gallon is just too much), and the rest is pretty much as it used to.

So thanks everyone... will report back in a while.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 11:07am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read a good portion of Starting strength 3rd Ed. and Rip advises that if you can't drink a gallon a day to start small and work your way up. Sounds like you're on your way.

I hardly drink the milk and probably don't eat enough, I found that I was having to rest more between reps (not sets). It can be hard making yourself eat that much, and then you might get tired of eating all the fucking time. I also probably need to warm up better as the sets tend to get easier as I go along.

Since I can't seem to make myself eat enough and don't want to stall before I hit 200 lbs, I started using this:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11756979

I'm not sure if you have access to this, but it has helped with the amount of rest I need/want between reps/sometimes sets andreally helps get your body going on those days you're just not feeling it. Btw, I only use about a third serving per workout and I weigh 225 llbs. This stuff is potent.

Almost forgot, GNC has had a coupon on their Facebook page for 20% off your purchase, a year gold membership, and a free shaker. It was an email coupon, so you either need a smartphone or a printer.
    Last edited by itwasntme; 3/22/2013 11:21am at .

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 11:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, you are 225lbs and you think you will stall before hitting 200lbs? I am doing 150 lbs ON the bar for squat and dead-lift, no problem, and I am only 150 myself, so I guess you should easily get 250lbs without even having to consider taking anything in addition.
    As for the eating/drinking. I try to help myself by going for yogurts and stuff, otherwise I couldn't get stuff down. Not going up to a gallon of milk, it would run me US$ 5 a day to do that... $150 a month just on milk, sorry but no thank you.

I know that I can lift close to 100kg (220lbs) at my weight since I used to do that... So also not going to take anything extra until I hit double my bodyweight. And I checked, importing any supplements, even fish oil, is a problem because I would have to get a licence from the FDA (or what goes for the FDA here) thus I might just buy them here and be done with it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not so much that I think I would, I'm just determined not to. I think my biggest problem is not warming up enough, so when I feel like the first couple of sets are a struggle a couple of days it freaked me out. The last 2 or 3 sets are usually a breeze. I did 175 lbs 5x5 this morning no problem and I've never missed a rep or not gone up in weight. I can be a worry-wart.

I just don't feel hungry a lot. I get tired of eating, and tired of eating the same ****. I eat yogurt quite a bit, but try to avoid it in excess due to the sugar content. I've been eating a ton of beef/chicken, lunch meat, wheat bread, beans, veggies, and yogurt.

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 12:11pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to force yourself to eat and just don't feel like it, do it while watching TV... works like a charm.
    Making decent food helps. Since my wife cooks all kinds of things I get a decent change for my dinners and in the morning I just can't bring myself to eat solid food before the workout so milk/yogurts are the only option.
    As for sugar, there are some that have no sugar at all, no taste. You mix it with some fruit juice (just a pinch) and you have something low on carbs high on protein that you can eat without wrenching it up 3 times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 3:28pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My wife and I started Starting Strength together recently (I kind of half way did the program about a year ago with good results) and it really does work as advertised. My Squat and Deadlift are way up, my bench and press are coming along. I feel way better all around.

Oh, and I will go ahead an recommend foam rolling afterwards. It has really helped keep me loose and (mostly) pain free.

Also: there are workout log apps out there.

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 12:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a question for the long timers and heavy lifters,
    Should I stall for a while and focus on my form? I have noticed that I do not tighten my abs as should during the initial upwards move on my squat and dead lift. Meaning I feel a slight "instability" when moving out of the "dead zone". I can make the lift but I feel like I could/should have better form while doing so. It is not like i have a round back or stuff but I deviate from what I would call perfect posture during the lift...
    Over all I want to have a super tight form because I am getting into the weights I know are able to hurt me bad if I do them wrong for a prolonged time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 4:42pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep going, bro just focus on tightening your abs, simple fix, isn't it?

Don't stall on purpose there will be plenty of time for that later.

Oh yes there will be.

Think about the following before each and every rep.

1) Deep breath into your balls not your chest.

2) Push abs out - contract abs against deep breath.

3) Pull - or squat.

Works like a charm, doesn't need a deload, if you can do it without stalling that would be optimal.
    Last edited by Mister; 4/15/2013 4:46pm at .

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 10:19pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just started Pacel's Russian Bear program a few weeks ago.

Here's why I like it; It's a strength program that has a set/rep range that feels like a bb style workout.

It's still three big lifts each day and 2 alternating full body workouts. So your basic mon=workout A, wed=workout B, fri workout A again, weekends off. With each lift your first set is a 1x5, 2nd set a 1x5 at 90% of the first, then you do sets of 5 at 80% of the 1st set until you can't maintain form (with minimal rests 30sec-1min between). The advantage is most of your work is done with lighter weight so you can focus on form. I'm rehabong a knee injury so a 5x5 program scares me a little this routine keeps the weight a little lighter so I can ease into it.

I'll report back when i'm 8 weeks or so in.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/16/2013 1:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    I have noticed that I do not tighten my abs as should during the initial upwards move on my squat and dead lift. Meaning I feel a slight "instability" when moving out of the "dead zone".
    Fix your breathing. There are many terms for it - "taking air", "belly breathing", "valsalva manoeuver", "intrathoracic pressure"... you basically use your diaphragm and viscera to brace your lower torso. I found that thinking about it in terms of my abs rather than breathing did more harm than good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast