Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Even more so for what would be here an illegal search and seizure.
    Yeah, here, the government entity would be writing you a check to settle a civil-rights lawsuit and to compensate you for property.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 7:07pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Short answer no we can't - if it is seized for some reason and is OPEN then yes we can, but sealed liquor seized or otherwise we have no authority to do so

Posted On:
    2/23/2013 9:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic View Post
    Short answer no we can't - if it is seized for some reason and is OPEN then yes we can, but sealed liquor seized or otherwise we have no authority to do so
    Um, yeah, the most certain way to tell what cops will do is whether or not they're authorized to do it. Just ask anyone from Rodney King to Robert Djiekanski.

Look at whom the cops protect: established interests whose families were founded by robber-baron lawbreakers who, at some point, earned enough from their rackets to purchase legitimacy. This makes cops no different from mob enforcers, except for the dorky uniforms.

Once you understand this, you'll realize your basic and stark choice: arm, train and otherwise prepare yourself for any encounters cops may provoke with you because they're too stupid to catch actual criminals--or just be the bitch of some power-tripping little twentynothings just because they have badges. Your choice.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    2/23/2013 11:31pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Once you understand this, you'll realize your basic and stark choice: arm, train and otherwise prepare yourself for any encounters cops may provoke with you because they're too stupid to catch actual criminals--or just be the bitch of some power-tripping little twentynothings just because they have badges. Your choice.
    Did the bad policeman take your skateboard too?? I didn't let the years I spent on campus brainwash me; obviously something soaked here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 3:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    "cops stopped a car of a friend of mine, asked to open the trunk, found a 12pack of beer, opened each bottle and slowly dumped it all away...
    For clarity, I want to know what the law in Canada says about this.
    Just be grateful that you don't live in the US between 1919 and 1933 (or in various parts of Canada sporadically in the early 1900s). In the US in the 1920s, this kind of obscenity was shown openly in newsreels in movie theaters to any child with a nickel looking for a wholesome day of racist cartoons, glamorized gangsters, and cowboy gunplay. They would sit down innocently with their box of Cracker Jack and glass bottle of soda, to be scarred for life by filth like this:

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 3:43am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This makes cops no different from mob enforcers, except for the dorky uniforms.
    There's nothing dorky about this uniform!

Name:  canada_mountie200x250.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  15.7 KB
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 9:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Did the bad policeman take your skateboard too?
    Try to save a little space, will you?

"Bad policeman"--like "corrupt cop"--is redundant.

They took that skateboard so quickly I never even had a chance to own one. Must have been one of those pre-emptive actions la Minority Report.

I didn't let the years I spent on campus brainwash me...
    Makes two of us: my campus years were spent in the athletics department. Not much lefty ideology there, I'm afraid.

obviously something soaked here.
    The guy you're thinking of wants to borrow your gloves.

EDIT: Try to get over this idea that everyone who has no use for cops is some sort of skinny-ass left-wing undergradical. Contempt for cops is somewhat more widespread, among working taxpayers, than that.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 2/24/2013 9:18am at .

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 11:02am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try to get over this idea that everyone who has no use for cops is some sort of skinny-ass left-wing undergradical. Contempt for cops is somewhat more widespread, among working taxpayers, than that.
    I feel your pain; I've been a working taxpayer myself since 1980. I have contempt for government waste and fraud as well as the small percentage (estimated 3%) of cops who are hypocrites and ones who are actually corrupt. 97% of us are honest, hard-working citizens, not abusers of authority and violators of civil rights.

BTW, I never called you skinny LOL.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 11:22am

supporting member
     Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the problem for cops is no one notices if you just go about your duty, protecting and serving, but every one remembers the dick head police man that <insert misscarraige of justice> all up in your ****

I think the profesion does attract young men and women with a huge chip on thier shoulders, unfotunately, who are the people that you least want with a badge and a gun/truncheon
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 12:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I think the problem for cops is no one notices if you just go about your duty, protecting and serving, but every one remembers the dick head police man that <insert misscarraige of justice> all up in your ****
    Very True. The media sensationalizes the misdeeds of all the rogues; there is no need to do stories on everyday cops just doing what they're supposed to do. It doesn't sell and nobody really cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I think the profesion does attract young men and women with a huge chip on thier shoulders, unfotunately, who are the people that you least want with a badge and a gun/truncheon
    Also true; it can and does attract immature people who didn't get enough hugs as a child. The background investigation, psychological and polygraph usually weed them out (about 97% of the time). Most of the time, it draws people who want to serve and to give back; occasionally, it pulls in a few who want to take.

I left an industrial career (Brown & Root--Halliburton) and took a $30,000 annual pay cut to do what I love doing. Conversely, I work with a guy who couldn't make it as a stock clerk at Wal-Mart; a cop job was a huge pay increase for him. He brings nothing to the table in the way of people skills; since he is locked in with seniority and all, he is there for the duration.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast