224971 Bullies, 3330 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 2:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Not really what I meant, just that the talent pool is thin right now. "The best competition" for title shots will get better the way the men's did. Which doesn't change that there's not a lot of really highly-skilled women's fighters yet. But I'm willing to believe that it'll get deeper with some time. Before then though, they should let the division build itself up first before headlining more cards with women's fights. That would kill WMMA faster than anything else.
    I agree with that.

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In reply to Sigma's post above:

Not his point. At the time, those fighters who are laughable now were the cream of the crop. It is only because of their exploits inside the cage that the sport gained the exposure that it did and has allowed it to attract not only supremely talented younglings like Velasquez and Jones but also highly decorated competitors from other sports like Rousey or Cormier, both actual olympians.

As time goes by, the increased exposure will cause more young women will start training MMA from an early age and raise the level of competition within the female divisions.

In time, the current crop of lady fighters will be obsolete and Rousey herself deemed a one-dimensional has-been who only knew one submission by the throngs of Sherdoggian keyboard warriors who prowl the internet. Smarter fight fans will still honour them as the pioneers of their gender within the sport without whom it would never have evolved, much like Sylvia or Coleman are regarded today.

Japan has a far more evolved female MMA scene than America, from what I gather. Can anyone think of any notable Japanese ladies the UFC could recruit?

Also, sign Coenen. I love Coenen.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 2:13pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    In reply to Sigma's post above:

Not his point. At the time, those fighters who are laughable now were the cream of the crop. It is only because of their exploits inside the cage that the sport gained the exposure that it did and has allowed it to attract not only supremely talented younglings like Velasquez and Jones but also highly decorated competitors from other sports like Rousey or Cormier, both actual olympians.

As time goes by, the increased exposure will cause more young women will start training MMA from an early age and raise the level of competition within the female divisions.

In time, the current crop of lady fighters will be obsolete and Rousey herself deemed a one-dimensional has-been who only knew one submission by the throngs of Sherdoggian keyboard warriors who prowl the internet. Smarter fight fans will still honour them as the pioneers of their gender within the sport without whom it would never have evolved, much like Sylvia or Coleman are regarded today.

Japan has a far more evolved female MMA scene than America, from what I gather. Can anyone think of any notable Japanese ladies the UFC could recruit?

Also, sign Coenen. I love Coenen.
    Sure, I agree here too. Remember my point - don't feed Rousey tomato cans and don't match her up with somebody with big boobs who poses no real threat to the title coughCaranocoughcough!!

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 2:47pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You're bitching about sexism, but sexism is exactly what I'm arguing against. Yes, Cyborg is a man beast. Make Rousey fight that fucking ugly knuckledragger. Don't go easy on her because she's nice looking and she makes you money. Make her get bloody to keep that title. Treat her like a fighter. THAT'S respect.
    Two problems with Cyborg: first, she's a known cheat. Second, she's a natural 145 lber, probably even heavier whereas it's clear now Rousey was fighting too heavy in her judo days and is a natural 135 lber. Cyborg walks around somewhere north of 160, Ronda is low 140s. Ronda wants her to either come to 135 or do a catchweight but submit to VADA testing, neither of which Cyborg will agree to. Right now there doesn't seem to be a way to get these two together.
    Last edited by NeilG; 2/26/2013 2:54pm at .

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 3:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Two problems with Cyborg: first, she's a known cheat. Second, she's a natural 145 lber, probably even heavier whereas it's clear now Rousey was fighting too heavy in her judo days and is a natural 135 lber. Cyborg walks around somewhere north of 160, Ronda is low 140s. Ronda wants her to either come to 135 or do a catchweight but submit to VADA testing, neither of which Cyborg will agree to. Right now there doesn't seem to be a way to get these two together.
    I fucking hate cheaters and I know Cyborg is one. But she should be treated like the men get treated, which is serve your suspension and get your ass back in the cage. And who says she won't agree to the testing? Dana White? Ronda Rousey's mom? Bullshit. They can make that fight but the UFC doesn't want it bad enough. They'd probably make the fight if it was easy and there were no roadblocks, but it isn't worth it to them to work to put the best two fighters in the cage when they can just let Rousey keep rolling through blue belts like Carmouche.

They could do a catchweight fight. They would have to make it worth it to both fighters, which they could easily afford to do.

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 3:26pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's enough hot air going around from both sides on this issue. But it appears like Zuffa would love to make this fight. They probably just want it to percolate a while longer, it is way too soon to blow their wad. What do they do for an encore? Cyborg will crush some cans in Invicta for a while, Ronda will build up her aura of invincibility and hopefully also help build a somewhat credible division, then in a year or two they can sell the hell out of that fight.

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 3:36pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    There's enough hot air going around from both sides on this issue. But it appears like Zuffa would love to make this fight. They probably just want it to percolate a while longer, it is way too soon to blow their wad. What do they do for an encore? Cyborg will crush some cans in Invicta for a while, Ronda will build up her aura of invincibility and hopefully also help build a somewhat credible division, then in a year or two they can sell the hell out of that fight.
    Yeah, they're going to bide their time like they did with Fedor, I guess. **** around, don't make the fight happen, trash the challenger at every opportunity, tell the fans the fight doesn't matter until Cyborg loses her passion for fighting and gets beaten. Then laugh their asses off about how they always told everyone Cyborg was overrated and Rousey was really getting better competition in the UFC all along. It's crap.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 4:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, they're going to bide their time like they did with Fedor, I guess. **** around, don't make the fight happen, trash the challenger at every opportunity, tell the fans the fight doesn't matter until Cyborg loses her passion for fighting and gets beaten. Then laugh their asses off about how they always told everyone Cyborg was overrated and Rousey was really getting better competition in the UFC all along. It's crap.
    It's a business, the object of which is to maximize profit. That may be crap, but it's reality.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 5:10pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It's a business, the object of which is to maximize profit. That may be crap, but it's reality.
    No ****. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be ridiculed for failing to put the best fighters in the world in the cage together. That's how they do it in boxing. There may be short term gains, but ultimately it's bad for business.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 7:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No ****. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be ridiculed for failing to put the best fighters in the world in the cage together. That's how they do it in boxing. There may be short term gains, but ultimately it's bad for business.
    But is it really? I don't think so. IMO the ufc doesn't do it often enough to be detrimental in the long run.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast