Posted On:
    2/20/2013 10:20am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Oh but I did mind, I mind very much.

I sucked it up.

Everyone else should, if they really want it, yes, boys or girls, it doesn't matter.
    So what are you saying? Should someone stay at a gym with a shitty environment and suck it up because they want to learn a martial art or should they try to find a new gym?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 10:23am

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    So what are you saying? Should someone stay at a gym with a shitty environment and suck it up because they want to learn a martial art or should they try to find a new gym?
    I am saying find a new gym if you have to but never quit training or in this case BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 10:26am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    I am saying find a new gym if you have to but never quit training or in this case BJJ.
    I see, thanks for clearing this up. I still don't agree 100%, but at least now I'm a littler clearer about what you mean.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    I find it hilarious that this article is being posted by a guy who pretended to take BJJ for years.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 11:19am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldiermedic View Post
    Also having a women's only class, even if its just for beginners, makes all the difference in the world.
    My school is unique in that I have more women training than I do men. Universally, they all come for the Jeet Kune Do and Kali programs. None come in and decide to start the BJJ class. However, through JKD, and to a lesser extent Kali, they are exposed to grappling at a less intensive and slower pace, and this helps them adjust their comfort levels toward BJJ.

If you want women in your school, then a womens only class, especially for beginners, is fine and a great idea. It won't pollute your art at all, especially if after a given period they merge in with the mens classes at high ranks.

This dude doesn't want to be accomodating, that's his decision. I'm sure he has his justifications.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it odd that he considered a men only class but not a women only class..how does that work?
    Just another way of saying no women?
    Women can't do BJJ..?
    A very unenlightening article and I'm not sure it would convince me to try his class if I were a woman..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 12:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't roll with women any differently than I roll with men, but I can see how a gym that doesn't keep spazzes in check could be a turn-off when it comes to recruiting female students. With that being said, I'm lucky enough to train at a gym that has several world-class female competitors that are more than happy to kick my ass without being able to bench press more than me.

Sure, some of us white belts might use strength to try to smash women or power out of things, but eventually you'll have to learn Jiu Jitsu if you want to keep training at a BJJ gym.....or you can just be one of those 6 year white belts that "always taps blues" but never really gets it....at the end of the day, what are you there to learn?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 1:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience in combat sports has been a series of panic-inducing events, none the least of which being choosing a female sparring partner. Even though I "know better", it goes deeper than that. Beginning however this gives way to more pressing concerns, and I find myself beaten into being a better person.
    Last edited by DARPAChief; 2/20/2013 1:36pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ,WT,Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And on the issue of spazzing\student behaviour,lets also look at the other side of the coin,wich this topic reminded me of.

I havent had the issue in BJJ,but when i did the WT the most disruptive\insufferable partner was ever paired with was female. Absolutly obtuse to the fact she couldnt make some techniques follow trough,constantly contronting\blaming partners when things didnt go right for her.

The worse incident was when i was left in charge of a Escrima class as the Instructor had to arrive late that day (most senior student present takes up,etc),and she proceeded to ignore anything i said and tried to derail the class as she just did attempted to do whatever she felt like with a training partner.

unlike a male training partner who would of displayed some of the level of open disrespect and antagonism,i didnt slap the **** ouf her her and scream for her to get the **** out if she wasnt going to take the class with me heading it,wich was my first instinct.What indeed happened was me wasting the rest of the class time trying to get things in order until my Instructor did arrive.

I,along with other students did complain to the instructor about her behaviour.Nothing happened.not even a verbal warning.

she was the only female student I ever trained with to have any issues with at all,they tend to be much more level headed than the guys.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I roll to their level and athletic ability same as I do for dudes.

I treat everyone on a case by case basis some people get smashed or taken easy on just depends.

Caveat though is it's been a couple of years since I've trained with a female partner on the same technical level or above as me.
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast