Posted On:
    2/21/2013 10:31am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpo...d-resource.pdf

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2009/11/...-helplessness/

Basically nobody has "unlimited will" and everyone doesn't have the same amount. External factors will also have impact on your will.
    That's quite interesting, my mate lent me that book.

I understand that nobody can be a rock all the time.

What does that have to do with what I'm saying?

To compare it to the training thing, you can skip training once, a week, a month due to lack of will.

But if you quit permanently I doubt it has to do with your will being depleted all the time. It has to do with failure to rise up to the occasion on your part.

Every day – your job, the government, your addiction, your depression, your money – you feel like you can’t control the forces affecting your fate. So, you stage microrevolts. You customize your ringtone, you paint your room, you collect stamps. You choose.

Choices, even small ones, can hold back the crushing weight of helplessness, but you can’t stop there. You must fight back your behavior and learn to fail with pride. Failing often is the only way to ever get the things you want out of life. Besides death, your destiny is not inescapable.

You are not so smart, but you are smarter than dogs and rats. Don’t give in yet.
    Basically the author is saying that even though learned helplessness exists you should never succumb to it and give up.

GUESS WHO ALSO HAS BEEN SAYING THAT?

Are you saying that someone shouldn't be responsible for their actions if their will is depleted?

I don't want to put words in your mouth.
    Last edited by Mister; 2/21/2013 10:51am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 10:44am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Middlefinger View Post
    Apparently goodlun also thinks rape is a "hiccup in life"
    No he thinks we're adults and you getting mad like that and rambling about suicide and castration and **** is not fitting, funny, nor does it add anything to the subject.

As do I.

(AT LEAST I ASSUME THAT'S WHAT HE THINKS)

Not that I think talking about suicide or castration is taboo or anything.

Just makes it sound like you have a terrible case of TB.

The Butthurtitis, serious illness.

Boohoo, the white knight has a temper.

goodlun is a good guy unlike me, I know that because his posts have a way of inspiring me, he would not dare think that rape and/or sexual abuse (as traumatising as these unfortunate events are) can be recovered from.

That's for the evil, clueless bunch, like me.

Please direct your hate at the right person.
    Last edited by Mister; 2/21/2013 11:05am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Posted by Mister
    I understand that nobody can be a rock all the time.

What does that have to do with what I'm saying?

You kinda give the impression you do, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Posted by Mister
    Everyone should have the strength to persist no matter what, making excuses is for the weak.

Posted by Mister
    If will is pre-determined then why is someone held responsible for a decision that exhibits a lack of will?

What you're thinking is pretty dangerous, I think.
    Well I don't really believe in free will either. But that would be a massive derail!

On hiatus

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 12:31pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    Well I don't really believe in free will either. But that would be a massive derail!
    WHAT? Have you seen Devil's Advocate?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 12:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by animlmthr View Post
    When I started training SAMBO, it was with two or three girls who were at the gym and I think that helped a lot to get comfortable. However, I'm a 'tomboy' and I had previous experience in other martial arts, so maybe that helped me 'handle' or stick with it too.

When the all-female classes stopped (scheduling conflicts with us gals) I didn't mind or care that I had to go to the co-ed (basically all dudes) classes. In fact, that's when my jits skills became a lot better. Then competition brought my game to a whole new level entirely; a new world of grappling opened up to me.

I've been training about four and half years now. I've been in tournaments all over CA, competed in dozens of matches, even recently got my purple belt. Grappling, jiujitsu, SAMBO, whatever the **** you want to call it, has changed my life. It's transformed my body, my mind and my heart.

I don't give a **** about what the blogger writes. I am not going anywhere, anytime soon and the women I compete against every six-eight weeks aren't going anywhere either, so **** him and anybody else that's a douche regarding female combat sports. I would love to have no females show up to a comp, I enter the male flyweight division and make one of his guys tap to my super awesome armbar. I think I'll handle that quite well, just like I handle getting schooled everyday I'm on the mat at Valhalla.

(Lastly, my condolences and respect to those posters who have been hurt or have family/friends/loved ones who've been hurt. Your honesty and openess is commendable)
    Rhonda? (Inside joke)

Actually remember last year when you were forced into the all men's division. You surprised a lot of those guys.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can Women Really Handle Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

It relates to what you're saying in that there are varying degrees of willpower and just because you can "man up" doesn't mean everyone can.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 1:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    WHAT? Have you seen Devil's Advocate?
    Some time ago..and wish I had a better memory of it. I miss the joke..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 1:52pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    No he thinks we're adults and you getting mad like that and rambling about suicide and castration and **** is not fitting, funny, nor does it add anything to the subject.

As do I.

(AT LEAST I ASSUME THAT'S WHAT HE THINKS)

Not that I think talking about suicide or castration is taboo or anything.

Just makes it sound like you have a terrible case of TB.

The Butthurtitis, serious illness.

Boohoo, the white knight has a temper.

goodlun is a good guy unlike me, I know that because his posts have a way of inspiring me, he would not dare think that rape and/or sexual abuse (as traumatising as these unfortunate events are) can be recovered from.

That's for the evil, clueless bunch, like me.

Please direct your hate at the right person.
    1.) You do Aikido.

2.) You are not a woman.

3.) To my knowledge, you haven't been the victim of forcible sexual contact...or at least you haven't mentioned it here.

4.) You're comparing forcible rape with some kind of back injury you have, and you're wondering why people are not taking you seriously, or calling you a moron?

You don't know what you're talking about when it comes to any of the aspects of this conversation. Get back with us when you actually have some kind of knowledge in the field we're talking about, because you trying to get your ridiculous point across in this forum is about as wise as me trying to tell someone who does TKD how to strike properly. You're out of your element.

I think the hate is directed at the right person, you just happen to represent what's wrong with all of the armchair warrior ninjer types out there that want to lecture women who work out way harder than them daily on how to be tough.

Does that about sum it up for you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 3:03pm

Style: grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Middlefinger View Post
    You're a fucking scumbag. Do humanity a favor and castrate yourself with a rusty soup can lid before using it to cut your throat.
    Um. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    legomepanda, did you miss XXIV's posts?...
    I didn't miss her post, and used the word hiccup intentionally. No where did I equate rape to a hiccup. I was talking about hitting bottom in any sense, and I used the word hiccup to encourage the idea that it is temporary. I would rather have a hiccup than a fucked life. If people read that as me downplaying the effects of traumatic experience, I'm sorry.

I also understand that life is not entirely a battle of will. Sometimes people run up against something that fucks their world. TBI and PTSD are examples of this, and sometimes there is no amount of will power that can fix it. My advice will never be "give up, it's just too much", but I will also never accuse some one who is suffering from PTSD, depression, or TBI of not manning up.

And on the topic of will power:
    http://www.npr.org/books/titles/1405...human-strength
    Author suggests that will power can be developed, based on a single recent study I believe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 3:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lukerawks View Post
    1.) You do Aikido.

2.) You are not a woman.

3.) To my knowledge, you haven't been the victim of forcible sexual contact...or at least you haven't mentioned it here.

4.) You're comparing forcible rape with some kind of back injury you have, and you're wondering why people are not taking you seriously, or calling you a moron?

1) Nope, you are lying.

2) But you are very observant.

3) So?

4) Nice try.

You don't know what you're talking about when it comes to any of the aspects of this conversation. Get back with us when you actually have some kind of knowledge in the field we're talking about, because you trying to get your ridiculous point across in this forum is about as wise as me trying to tell someone who does TKD how to strike properly. You're out of your element.
    Maybe you missed the part where I mentioned a close friend of mine had to deal with sexual assault.

Cute TKD analogy though, very true to the spirit of Bullshido, commendable effort.

I think the hate is directed at the right person
    Yes the hate is directed at the right person.

Let me break this down for you:

When I said direct your hate towards the right person I meant direct it towards me not goodlun.

you just happen to represent what's wrong with all of the armchair warrior ninjer types out there that want to lecture women who work out way harder than them daily on how to be tough.
    Anyone who quits is not training harder than I am, sorry.

Nice try though.

Does that about sum it up for you?
    That doesn't sum anything up for me you are still making things up. I suggest you read my posts again.

Ahem...

Is the idea of persisting even through the toughest of hardships scary to you?

Do you often get the cold sweats because your will is as weak as your lying?

Do you shudder at the thought that maybe just maybe all women whom have been victimized should be as strong as all the brave examples we saw in this thread that managed to collect the pieces after all the damage was done?

Does it make your piss run in streams that there is NO excuse to quit?

Yes, I dare say it.

There is NO excuse to quit. I am sorry White Knights, and I am sorry Butthurtitis patients, I imagine this is hard for you, but there is no excuse to quit.

Not broken bones, and not mental trauma.

As long as you can walk, there's always hope.

Yes.

Men and Women can handle the Jits equally.

Stop making excuses for the weak.

This misogynist hates both weak men and weak women equally.

And he is terribly sorry for hurting your feelings.