Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 6:49pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Lol it won't heal, man.

But I do plan on returning once I become REALLY strong, like back muscles so strong that I have a second spine on my spine.

I love fighting it's the whole reason why I'm lifting in the first place, to maybe go back one day.

Ain't no mountain high enough, etc.

EDIT: I'm sorry for derail too, OP and everyone else, but I just wanted to put my back and my mate's leg as an example of obstacles.
    ...but you're not training a martial art right now. Do you not see the duality in your argument? Are you purposefully being obtuse? Are you a brilliant troll?

So you did Judo before the back injury, and you're not going back because Judo isn't good for your particular situation (read: injury) right? It seems like you're holding women to a much stricter standard than yourself....I mean, that's what it appears to be from my perspective.

I think you're a Bullshido version of Poe's law though.....you're either a good troll or a perfect example of why bullshido exists....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 6:51pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol it won't heal, man.

But I do plan on returning once I become REALLY strong, like back muscles so strong that I have a second spine on my spine.

I love fighting it's the whole reason why I'm lifting in the first place, to maybe go back one day.

Ain't no mountain high enough, etc.

EDIT: I'm sorry for derail too, OP and everyone else, but I just wanted to put my back and my mate's leg as an example of obstacles.
    You know what else won't ever heal? The psychological trauma of a sexual assault. It's whatever though, cause it's just an excuse not to do jits amiright?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 7:11pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    You know what else won't ever heal? The psychological trauma of a sexual assault. It's whatever though, cause it's just an excuse not to do jits amiright?
    I find it curious how everybody ignored the Kayla Harrison example. If she was able to get through sexual abuse, why is it an excuse to quit?

Stop pretending to know what the trauma of being sexually abused is like.

Quote Originally Posted by lukerawks View Post
    ...but you're not training a martial art right now. Do you not see the duality in your argument? Are you purposefully being obtuse? Are you a brilliant troll?

So you did Judo before the back injury, and you're not going back because Judo isn't good for your particular situation (read: injury) right? It seems like you're holding women to a much stricter standard than yourself....I mean, that's what it appears to be from my perspective.

I think you're a Bullshido version of Poe's law though.....you're either a good troll or a perfect example of why bullshido exists....
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    Wow your so tough.

Yes comfort levels. like your not comfortable with the idea of being in a wheel chair for the rest of your life so you duck out of Judo.

I never said I quit it's just a temporary setback. I will resume fighting I'm 100% sure of that. I just have to get my back bulletproof first.

I can almost deadlift double my bodyweight now! Once my lifts are impressive I'll ask my coach if I can go back and I'll have the strength to convince him (I mean my lifts), he's hell bent on never letting me roll too after I told him about my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 7:28pm

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a tough guy by any means, but I'll quit something if I'm being treated like ****, unless I really believe that theres some benefit/purpose to the treatment (like a personal trainer yelling at you to get another rep).

This whole idea of "I'll never quit, paying these ppl to treat me like **** must somehow pay off in the long run, RAHR im not weak RAHR" sounds like the way cults get started to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 7:31pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have no idea what I've had to deal with in my life.

1 person you can name has dealt with the issue and continued to do judo. How many more have not? How many have gone on to commit suicide? How many suffer in silence for the rest of their lives? Your level of ignorance is astounding. I have no doubt that Kayla herself would strongly disagree with your statements and the ease with which you're apparently dismissing the issue. In fact, there are very few, if any, more difficult issues than this to deal with imho.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 7:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it curious how everybody ignored the Kayla Harrison example. If she was able to get through sexual abuse, why is it an excuse to quit?

Stop pretending to know what the trauma of being sexually abused is like.
    Alright pal, that's enough of that.

Facts:
    - I am a woman
    - I was sexually abused for around 3 years of my life
    - I was raped, verbally and sexually abused. That means forced to give oral and ****.
    - I held it in for another 3 or so years.
    - I developed PTSD in a bad way, failed out of college twice, was so depressed I couldn't get out of bed, gained over 100 lbs. Didn't realize this til very long after it happened. Diagnosed in late 2007.
    - It is now 2013. I still have nightmares. I still have flashbacks and hypervigilance. I still hit rock bottom sometimes. I still have dissociative episodes. I'm secretly terrified of going to BJJ every night. I have to go in 30 mins and I'm just as nervous as the first day tonight.

Now that you have my credentials that I know what being fucking sexually abused by someone I thought was my best older friend is like let me tell you something - jits is fucking hard after something like that.

I didn't start doing BJJ/submission grappling until years after I first started going to therapy. Around earlier this school year. There's an old post of mine where I talked about how ashamed and horrible I felt for tapping out to an anxiety attack. I still have to do that sometimes though the training helps. I've had to take days and weeks off, I've had to tap and throw up and cry in the bathroom at the gym.. it fucking sucks. And without therapy and xanax I guarantee you I wouldn't have been able to handle it at all.

I don't know if you've ever been raped. Having someone in your guard holding you down putting weight on your chest feels a whole shitload like being vaginally raped. That's one hell of a ripe flashback trigger.

Other women get over it? Yeah. They do. Everyone reacts to trauma differently. It depends on a shitload of different factors, not the least of which is how soon you talk to someone about it, which a lot of us don't out of guilt, fear and shame. It also depends on personality and brain chemistry - did they have an anxiety or depression problem before? It's a whole hell of a lot worse. Holding it in does more damage than the act itself sometimes.

I'm certainly not quitting jits now. Not ever. I will work through the nerves. To me it's exposure therapy to others it can be terrifying to the point of not being able to function.

I'm going to go get ready for BJJ.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 7:37pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And if she can win an Olympic gold, why can't everyone?

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 7:44pm

Style: bjj/judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one addressed it because to say that the gold medal in the end justifies her allowing herself to be victimized is fucking clueless. Your argument would hold some water except for the fact that Kayla Harrison, actual rape victim and gold medalist, disagrees with your point of view at every turn.

But yeah, continue to tell us about how the world coddles rape victims, and Bullshido is too politically correct, because you can't be wrong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 8:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    My experience in combat sports has been a series of panic-inducing events, none the least of which being choosing a female sparring partner. Even though I "know better", it goes deeper than that. Beginning however this gives way to more pressing concerns, and I find myself beaten into being a better person.
    No offense, but huh?

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 8:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    No, it more like risking parlysis, which is counter-intuitive to achieving your goals of becoming stronger and better through martial arts.
    Once paralysis occurs, everyone can then take turns being mister's mister.

EDIT: On the other hand, why wait?
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast