Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 1:08am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Battle Balm Style: TKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Got some in the mail today! That was freaking quick! Smells pretty good too! I did some stickfighting tonight and my hands are a little stiff as normal. So is my knee, but that from my ACL reconstruction. So I put the balm on my hands and knee. It spreads easier than I thought it would, so that is good. I'll let you know how it does.
    Hi Diesel, Glad to know you got the Battle Balm. Quick notes for you: ACL reconstruction surgery is difficult to heal properly. If you had an autograft (tissue pulled from your patellar tendon to reconstruct your ACL and typically standard procedure), then you've got two issues to deal with.

1) Patellar tendon regeneration and restrengthening - This is extremely important for you. As I said before, if you have had an autograft style surgery, the patellar tendon probably needs rehabilitation as well. This means acupuncture and/or deep tissue, therapeutic massage (either by yourself or a pro) to make sure the collagen fibers lay down properly here during your healing process and provides blood and lymphatic flow to strengthen this patellar tendon. You want to make sure your knee continues to track right without clicking, popping, or other noises.

2) The ACL - The ACL gets little blood flow, by nature. You don't want to bathe your knee in ice for more than 10 minutes at a time. (In my practice, I recommend NO ICE application after 48 hours from time of injury. Ever.) Heat is much more preferable, but sometimes alternating cold and heat works for some people.

Suggestion for you - Apply Battle Balm to the affected knee before you train. If you have a knee wrap, use it during training to keep the knee warm. (The key is to pump as much blood and warmth through the active joint.) After you leave the gym and get out of the shower, apply Battle Balm to the knee area. Take your knuckles and rub up and down over the patellar tendon under the kneecap. Use your knuckles to rub any surgical scar as well. Put a heat pack or wrap the knee for 30 minutes and go about your business. Do it daily.

Test the knee often. If it feels stable and strong to you, then you can back off on the rehab. Realistically, you should be doing 12-18 months of rehab on an ACL tear. At least.

Enjoy the Battle Balm. I know the info above was brief (and probably unwarranted), but I don't agree with a lot of Western medical rehabilitation procedures. The only things they like to do is get you on ice, exercise machines and ultrasound therapy. And they try to kick you out of PT too soon, because insurance doesn't like to pay for too much of anything.
    Last edited by battlebalm; 2/22/2013 1:46am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlebalm View Post
    Hi Diesel, Glad to know you got the Battle Balm. Quick notes for you: ACL reconstruction surgery is difficult to heal properly. If you had an autograft (tissue pulled from your patellar tendon to reconstruct your ACL and typically standard procedure), then you've got two issues to deal with..
    Yep that's the surgery I had.

1) Patellar tendon regeneration and restrengthening - This is extremely important for you. As I said before, if you have had an autograft style surgery, the patellar tendon probably needs rehabilitation as well. This means acupuncture and/or deep tissue, therapeutic massage (either by yourself or a pro) to make sure the collagen fibers lay down properly here during your healing process and provides blood and lymphatic flow to strengthen this patellar tendon. You want to make sure your knee continues to track right without clicking, popping, or other noises..
    I have been hearing some clicking. Most of the popping has stopped. My doctor thinks the clicking I've been having is because they also removed 2/3 of my meniscus tendon. He wanted to do a surgery for that, but I don't really want to if I don't have to.

2) The ACL - The ACL gets little blood flow, by nature. You don't want to bathe your knee in ice for more than 10 minutes at a time. (In my practice, I recommend NO ICE application after 48 hours from time of injury. Ever.) Heat is much more preferable, but sometimes alternating cold and heat works for some people.

Suggestion for you - Apply Battle Balm to the affected knee before you train. If you have a knee wrap, use it during training to keep the knee warm. (The key is to pump as much blood and warmth through the active joint.) After you leave the gym and get out of the shower, apply Battle Balm to the knee area. Take your knuckles and rub up and down over the patellar tendon under the kneecap. Use your knuckles to rub any surgical scar as well. Put a heat pack or wrap the knee for 30 minutes and go about your business. Do it daily. .
    Cool, I'll start doing this. Thanks!

Test the knee often. If it feels stable and strong to you, then you can back off on the rehab. Realistically, you should be doing 12-18 months of rehab on an ACL tear. At least.

Enjoy the Battle Balm. I know the info above was brief (and probably unwarranted), but I don't agree with a lot of Western medical rehabilitation procedures. The only things they like to do is get you on ice, exercise machines and ultrasound therapy. And they try to kick you out of PT too soon, because insurance doesn't like to pay for too much of anything.
    Yeah, thats exactly what happened to me. Insurance didn't go for the PT so they discharged me about 3 months after my surgery. I've been doing everything else on my own since then.

Thanks for all the advice.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 11:53pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Round 2 oz. tin (middle pic) - $19.95 + S&H
    Rectangular slide SAMPLE SIZE 0.25 oz. tin (bottom pic) - $2.49 + Free Shipping
    I'd like to point out that the Sample size gives you more bang for your buck. You might want to tweak your prices a bit.

2 / .25 = 8 x 2.49 = $19.92 (2 oz. of Sample) < $19.95 (2 oz. of Standard)

Not to mention that the Sample size has free S&H, unlike the 2 oz. one.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 1:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the heads up, Cuddles. We were actually taking a loss on the first few batches to gather some interest in the fight clubs, hence the $2.49 price. (The cost of shipping was actually more than the sample price.) Since the new year, the USPS has changed some of their shipping rates, etc., so we are going to change our sample price accordingly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 9:07pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the heads up, Cuddles. We were actually taking a loss on the first few batches to gather some interest in the fight clubs, hence the $2.49 price. (The cost of shipping was actually more than the sample price.) Since the new year, the USPS has changed some of their shipping rates, etc., so we are going to change our sample price accordingly.
    You're welcome. Best of luck with your business.

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 5:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may want to get a celebrity endorsement, Dale Douglas probably the best for a balm of this type. I'm going to order some, at 48 years old if its good I cam probably keep you in business by myself.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 8:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    You may want to get a celebrity endorsement, Dale Douglas probably the best for a balm of this type. I'm going to order some, at 48 years old if its good I cam probably keep you in business by myself.
    Thanks Vorpal! Battle Balm is an evolution of the traditional dit da jow and we hope you will put it to the test. Our website has tons of information on how to use it, as well as alternative uses for Battle Balm. (For instance, I had a sinus infection this past week and used some on my neck to 1) massage the lymph nodes and promote sinus drainage, and 2) open up my sinus passages by inhaling the aromatic menthol and camphor.
    We are always looking for user feedback and how people are using our product. Give it a shot and let us know if you've got any questions. I specialize in pain management and trauma rehabilitation in my clinic and may be able to point you in the right direction for treatment, exercises, etc. Good luck!

BTW, we are in the process of contacting some celebrities to get some endorsements in place. So, be on the lookout for us in the press!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 5:28am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ordered some of this stuff tonight. I have definitely been feeling banged up after classes lately. We'll see how it goes; hoping that it works better than IcyHot.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 5:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln5 View Post
    I ordered some of this stuff tonight. I have definitely been feeling banged up after classes lately. We'll see how it goes; hoping that it works better than IcyHot.
    Thanks for the order! You should be getting a package in a couple of days.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 9:30pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm about to be ordering a bigger package! I'm almost through all the little ones I ordered. I tried it out for a while and the only thing I liked about old jow better is just that it is quicker to put on then the battle balm. If it came in a stick, kind of like deodorant, that would be cool!

But personally for me, the reason I like it better than my old Jow, is that the older Jow is alcohol based. So it dries out my skin. You may think that's no big deal, but last week when stick fighting, the dry skin on my knuckles busted open and started bleeding, during sparring. That's when I said, OK, this is enough. I'm going back to the Battle Balm. Just thought I would post a little review after using it for a little while.

Oh, and I can notice when I use the battle balm that the blood flow to my hands is increased. I can feel the difference. My jow, I couldn't. So there is my unbiased opinion. For what it's worth.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast