Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2013 7:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Campaign to promote Wrestling as a Martial Art

I was just mulling over how people can do their part to promote wrestling in the wake of its exclusion from 2020 games. It dawned on me that most people probably consider wrestling just another arbitrary sport rather than a bona-fide fighting style. MMA has greatly increased the awareness of the combat applicability of wrestling (And is almost certainly responsible to some degree for the recent increase in scholastic wrestling participation) but I still don't believe most people realize wrestling is a fighting style in and of itself. Tank Abbott said it himself: "Wrestling is a prerequisite to fighting."

Perhaps we can do our part in the fight against Wushu by starting up a Facebook campaign to promote wrestling as a martial art. We have some strong arguments on our side:

(^135 lbs wrestler vs. 200 lbs basketball player)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2013 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    2/16/2013 7:49pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we what you really need is to cough up 5 billion $$ to the IOC. Someone will do it, probably the Russians.

Also this: https://www.change.org/petitions/the...ympicwrestling

Awesome thread, as always.
    Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 2/16/2013 7:53pm at .

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2013 10:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Related article. If wrestling gets cut from the olympics it will be a travesty and a disgrace.
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/repo...7156--oly.html
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2013 12:19am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say we go further and try to convince people to boycott the Olympics. If they are claiming it is ticket sales and tv ratings, we work now to convince as many people as we can to boycott watching or going to all but the combat sports in the games.

I still do not underhand their decision, while they were struggling to get people to watch swimming, every time I watched wrestling, judo or fencing the arena was packed even during the qualifiers.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2013 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If all its going to take is a 'donation' to the IOC to make this go away, then one of the nations that routinely takes home medals in wrestling would do well to step up.
    Tranquil Suit mentioned Russia, and I'm sure the USA has a vested interest in keeping wrestling included in the games. Collegiate wrestling is huge in the USA ( not like I need to to tell you guys that..)
    People who are petitioning for the inclusion of MMA in the Olympics might want to ask themselves which they would rather see - wrestling or MMA. Because chances are the IOC will not want to have both.
    I would rather see wrestling.
    This is a sport that has been included in the Olympics since ancient times and to pull it now would be tantamount to nothing less than stomping on its history.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra