Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 8:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Any opinions on rest-pause, assisted reps, negatives, and drop-sets? I've been playing around with that sort of thing too.
    Direct answer: All of those are, to my understanding, firmly understood as bodybuilding methods, not strength training. If you want da beeg mussells go for it. Athletes have no need for them as I see it.

Rambling: You say strength is your goal. Do you lift as an athletic supplement, or is lifting its own thing? In other words, do you want maximal strength or maximal athleticism?

Strength training is high weight, low reps, e.g., 3-6 reps at 90% or 95% of your rep-max for that number of reps. Power training is 1-3 reps at a time, at maximal speed, with somewhat submaximal weight. In both cases you do multiple sets to accumulate volume.

What exercises are we walking about, anyway? Squats or curls?

I suspect you would enjoy reading/watching Pavel Tsatsouline and/or Dan John.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 1:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Any opinions on rest-pause, assisted reps, negatives, and drop-sets? I've been playing around with that sort of thing too.
    As previously noted, these are tools to increase time under tension and thus muscle mass; they're not for gaining strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 9:09am

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not lifting for any specific purpose, it's just the type of exercise that I enjoy and helps me feel fit and keep the fat off. I like to watch my numbers go up, so in that way, strength is really what interests me. I don't spend too much time worrying about size.

I work full body twice per week (bench, chest fly, leg press, leg extension, lat pulldown, cable row, weighted crunches, machine bicep curl, tricep pressdown with rope thingy).

I basically started training HIT style on a whim just to try something new and to cut down on the time I needed to spend in the gym.

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 7:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you work out for fun and exercise then screw it, everything's on the table. It sounds like you like bodybuilding. Maybe you should run with that.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 11:30am

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well...Bodybuilding is nice.

Chesticles always impress.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234