Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2013 7:14am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Do you think, that the same 5x5 routine is optimal for all muscle groups?
    My friend (a certified fitness trainer) thinks you should alternate between programs every so often so to get the best results. What do you think about that?
    You could alternate between lifts if you want every cycle, using different kinds of squats and deadlifts, or different bench press grips. That could be good for you.

But I don't think fucking around with the rep scheme is going to do you much good if you want maximal strength.

For large compound exercises (exercises that use more than one muscle or joint) I think sets lower reps (1-5) are the best in terms of maximal strength development. For every muscle group it doesn't matter.

But...For stabilizing muscles like abs, obliques and back it's not clear whether you want lots of reps or fewer, or even train them at all if you're lifting heavy they're getting quite beat up.

Abs and back function differently in everyday life and sport than other muscles they mainly stabilize your trunk, while your legs and torso do the pulling and pushing.

It's unclear if you want them to be strong or to endure as much as possible.

But I'm no pro man. What I know is the result of some research that's all.

Maybe someone who knows more can teach us a few things.

Now this is one strong ************.

(That's not to say your friend doesn't know his ****, "fitness" is a blanket term, yes you will be more fit if you do 20 rep squats, but more fit for what? Maybe not stronger but you will have better endurance, it all depends on an athlete's needs in my opinion, I was talking about maximal strength, but there are other types of strength to consider, explosive strength and strength endurance for example)

Posted On:
    2/17/2013 8:23am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly, i guess the goals should determine the routine. For boxing, you will need explosive power, and endurance...so **** if it makes it clearer. I guess alternate between strong lifts and endurance.
    Another thing to consider is injuries, i find that you are more likely to get an inflammation or whatever the heavier you lift...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2013 10:36am

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the research Ive read there isn't really any evidence that lifting higher weights for really low reps builds strength any more than moderate weight with 8 12 or even 20 reps. Its interesting stuff. My workouts are logged fitocracy if anyone wants to see what Ive been doing.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2013 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Weight Training a la Mike Mentzer/Arthur Jones

Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    From the research Ive read there isn't really any evidence that lifting higher weights for really low reps builds strength any more than moderate weight with 8 12 or even 20 reps. Its interesting stuff. My workouts are logged fitocracy if anyone wants to see what Ive been doing.
    Are you lordbd on Fitocracy? I just started an account there, I'm excite!
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2013 10:53am

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    In the fitness industry there's research to back up practically anything.

I can show you research that suggests FRUIT is bad for you.

Kind of shits on the whole an apple a day keeps the doctor away thing.

Do you really believe fruit can be bad for you?

There's research and then there's the practical experience of thousands of coaches and lifters.

I'd trust a lifter over a scrawny doctor/academic researcher any time of day, and guess what all the lifters say.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2013 9:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My fito name is Benjamin Dyson I think

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2013 12:08am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Weight Training a la Mike Mentzer/Arthur Jones

Hell, I can't find you. Mine is itwasntme if you are so inclined to look me up. I'd be interested in comparing the results from our workouts. I'm just now starting a 5x5.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/18/2013 2:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    HIT may be the chun of strength training
    http://drsquat.com/content/articles/hit-hammer
    Pretty much this.

Broadly speaking, if you're not generating (near-)maximal force, you're probably not going to improve your capability to generate maximal force.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    2/18/2013 2:07am

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Others have said it already, but it's worth repeating. What's your goal? HIT is strength training to the extent that progressive overload is used, but it is a bodybuilding program with some dubious science behind it.

If the goal is to do some form of resistance training you enjoy and you like HIT, then stick with it. If your goal is either maximum strength or hypertrophy, then HIT isn't ideal for either. Few things in life and training are ideal though, so make what you will of the situation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My goal is to build strength, it's basically that simple. I'm not really tracking my weight or anything like that, and I get cardio at martial arts class. I only have time to workout for about 45mins twice per week, so once I started reading about the old school HIT where you only do 1 or 2 sets to failure, I jumped aboard!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast