Thread: Too much choice

Style
    Krav &?
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Too much choice

Hello to all and apologies for posting a newb topic. The short question is I'm really not sure which way to train and I am hopeful for a little guidance in between the rampant slapping I'm likely to receive.

A bit of background, I'm 33, just under 200 pounds (not as much fat as my name implies as I'm pretty tall) and have pretty poor cardio. Decided this year to get my ass off the couch and sort myself out before it's irreversible.
    I have never stuck to the gym as it always felt a grind and I have wanted to do MA since I was a nipper. I started Krav beginners under KMG at the start of the year and I'm finding it pretty enjoyable, but I also know it is not a complete 'art', more of a system and is deficient in many areas, evident by the fact the instructors cross train multiple styles.

Within a close proximity to me I have found two schools offering a good range of choice, and I am pretty damn sure neither are McDojos, the schools being:

8limbsmuaythai.co.uk
    lionsgym.co.uk

Between them is a pretty wide choice and I really dont know which one to try. I'm after a good enjoyable training experience that will boost my fitness & conditioning.

I have limited time to throw into this at present due to work and my roster so I can only really fit one more in at present. The question is what would be more beneficial from both a training and fitness perspective?

And if you read through that ill say thank you for your patience.

Style
    Taiji/Hsingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of the two and speaking only personally I would go to the LionsGym.
    Both offer BJJ which is great, but the BJJ guy at 8limbs wants to make a style of his own..at purple belt? Seems odd to me.

It may not be odd, I'm a noob at BJJ so someone else on these boards will no doubt have a much more informed opinion.
    You could post the question where some BJJ players will see it. With a more specific thread title?

I say pearsonally because I train at a GracieBarra school and the experience has been great.

Good luck.

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Too much choice

I'm purple since 2008 and I find it ridiculous that a purple would dare to create a new style; but while it's seems strange, if it's serious you should find this guy having some very good results in competitions.

Style
    Taiji/Hsingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigato View Post
    I'm purple since 2008 and I find it ridiculous that a purple would dare to create a new style; but while it's seems strange, if it's serious you should find this guy having some very good results in competitions.
    My thoughts exactly, if he has these great results he has curiously failed to list them..

Style
    Krav &?
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the replies and cheers for pointing that out as I missed it. I was interested in that school for the MT training over BJJ, especially as lions gym offers traditional BJJ. Having looked, he has a couple of videos up on the tube but not enough for me personally to make an uneducated judgement.

I think ill have to go look at both places, but it may be easier to just try out MMA and see what feels right I guess.
    Last edited by FatPies; 2/17/2013 3:51pm at .

Style
    Taiji/Hsingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FatPies View Post
    Thank you for the replies and cheers for pointing that out as I missed it. I was interested in that school for the MT training over BJJ, especially as lions gym offers traditional BJJ. Having looked, he has a couple of videos up on the tube but not enough for me personally to make an uneducated judgement.

I think ill have to go look at both places, but it may be easier to just try out MMA and see what feels right I guess.
    Well if your looking to be 'well rounded' the MMA would'nt be a bad call..that or more 'fatpies'..
    Let us know how it goes, I'm occasionally up Coventry way with my band and someplace decent to drop in to and train would be nice.