Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    israel
    Posts
    1,332
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    You know... I was able to just blow this off as a publicity stunt. That's fine. Whatever.

    But the part that filled me with rage is actually in Seagal's wardrobe choice. That thing around his neck is a shemaugh. A shemaugh is typically worn by several groups of people but primarily recognizable from two sources: Arabs and soldiers in desert environments. Well, Seagal isn't an Arab. And he isn't a soldier. So that leaves fucking tacticool poseur.

    Now, I obviously have no issue with people buying shemaughs. I own a few myself. Apparently it's also fashionable on the runway these days. Honestly I doubt I'd have this viscerial gut reaction if I didn't already know Seagal was such a fucking posing poseur.
    Is Shemaugh an arabic word? I was sure it is called Kaffia.
    The Jordanians have red ones and the Palestinians have the black and white. When is saw it on him, i got pissed too..Here it is like a flag basically.

  2. #12
    Chili Pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,390
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Is Shemaugh an arabic word? I was sure it is called Kaffia.
    They're called both.

    The Jordanians have red ones and the Palestinians have the black and white. When is saw it on him, i got pissed too..Here it is like a flag basically.
    My old roommate had one in the colours of the PLO flag.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago / Michigan
    Posts
    391
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Is Shemaugh an arabic word? I was sure it is called Kaffia.
    The Jordanians have red ones and the Palestinians have the black and white. When is saw it on him, i got pissed too..Here it is like a flag basically.
    "Shemagh" (the preferred English spelling, although there are several others) is supposedly taken into English from British Army usage from soldiers stationed in the Middle East as an anglicisation of شماغ (šmāġ). According to various websites (perhaps all under the influence of Wikipedia), "shemagh mhadab" or "shmagh mhadab" is the term preferred by Jordanians for the headscarves in the version favored in their country.

    Keffiyeh (spelled several ways) is from the Arabic كوفية (kufíyya), possibly ultimately from Late Latin cofea, meaning "helmet" (some say instead from the town name of Al-Kufa, Iraq).

    One can also be called, depending on where you are in the Arab, Persian, Turkish, or Kurdish world, a ghutrah, ḥaṭṭah, mashadah, chafiye, cemedanî, puşi, or yashmagh.

    Today's answer was brought to you by Google.
    Last edited by ChuckWepner; 2/20/2013 1:06pm at .

  4. #14

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    450
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    "Shemagh" (the preferred English spelling, although there are several others) is supposedly taken into English from British Army usage from soldiers stationed in the Middle East as an anglicisation of شماغ (šmāġ). According to various websites (perhaps all under the influence of Wikipedia), "shemagh mhadab" or "shmagh mhadab" is the term preferred by Jordanians for the headscarves in the version favored in their country.

    Keffiyeh (spelled several ways) is from the Arabic كوفية (kufíyya), possibly ultimately from Late Latin cofea, meaning "helmet" (some say instead from the town name of Al-Kufa, Iraq).

    One can also be called, depending on where you are in the Arab, Persian, Turkish, or Kurdish world, a ghutrah, ḥaṭṭah, mashadah, chafiye, cemedanî, puşi, or yashmagh.

    Today's answer was brought to you by Google.
    so, what you are saying is, Seagal is a posing tosser and Arpaio is an attention whore?

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago / Michigan
    Posts
    391
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharabus View Post
    so, what you are saying is, Seagal is a posing tosser and Arpaio is an attention whore?
    Exactly! And they need Chris Hansen to help them screen their volunteer deputies.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    237
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One million training hours is only about 114 years of solid training. Doable.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    9,913
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as I can figure out, Steve is a police groupie, who attaches himself to police departments that will have him. In many states, like Connecticut, you don't get to be a police officer until you have first passed a standardized police academy course that fulfill what is called POST standards. So I'm wondering, can Steve prove he ever entered and graduated a police academy, or is he somehow counting his martial arts training in aikido towards his thousands of hours.

  8. #18
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,237
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post

    From the auspicious occasion of his birth to the time he made the statement, Seagal lived a little over 533,000 hours. He is letting us know that since birth, if not before, he has put in probably 60 or 70 hours, at least, every day, doing small weapons training.
    He's talking about his dick, so probably true?

  9. #19
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,279
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    As much as I can figure out, Steve is a police groupie, who attaches himself to police departments that will have him. In many states, like Connecticut, you don't get to be a police officer until you have first passed a standardized police academy course that fulfill what is called POST standards. So I'm wondering, can Steve prove he ever entered and graduated a police academy, or is he somehow counting his martial arts training in aikido towards his thousands of hours.
    I THINK but am not sure that Seagal got some sort of reserve officer training or certification in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana (parish to east of New Orleans), quite a few years ago.

    I used to do Judo with the H2H instructor for the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office. He's either retired or passed away now. He was the type that would have been impressed by Segal, although the instructor was by no means a poseur...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  10. #20
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,279
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    As much as I can figure out, Steve is a police groupie, who attaches himself to police departments that will have him. In many states, like Connecticut, you don't get to be a police officer until you have first passed a standardized police academy course that fulfill what is called POST standards. So I'm wondering, can Steve prove he ever entered and graduated a police academy, or is he somehow counting his martial arts training in aikido towards his thousands of hours.
    I THINK but am not sure that Seagal got some sort of reserve officer training or certification in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana (parish to east of New Orleans), quite a few years ago. Whether or not that was a POST academy I don't know. Louisiana is so different, maybe they didn't have POST. Plus, many years ago, you didn't have to go to POST to be a cop of any sort. Local training was sufficient, if you even got any.

    I used to do Judo with the H2H instructor for the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office. He's either retired or passed away now. He was the type that would have been impressed by Segal, although the instructor was by no means a poseur...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO