Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It got to a point for me that I need a wooden dummy to train at higher levels of power than against a live partner.

You want to create conditioning but not harm your training brothers and sisters.

Shifu Sharif Bey can hit harder than most people.

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 11:47am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure that you train the entire arm and work up and down to ensure you are conditioning all parts of the arms equally.

You are not hitting just one area over and over and over. That would be silly and lead to injuries.

Remember conditioning is to make you stronger and able to perform at high levels than a normal untrained person, its not about trying to be superman.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 2:03pm

Style: Lung Ying Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dale, sorry we hi-jacked your thread and went off in a different direction. At least we keep bumping it and it is somewhat on the original topic. :)

Another conditioning method I use involves using a round log or pvc pipe about 4.5 feet in length. Standing in a comfortable horse stance (or in my case often dragon's primary fighting stance) with arms evenly in front and elbows bent near 90 degrees with palms facing in towards each other. Balance the log in the crook of both arms. Raise and straighten arms simultaneously and as the log rolls down arms nearing the wrist you bend both hands equally at the wrist downwards and effectively "pop" the log upwards into the air and catch it in the orginal position in the crook of the elbows. I know that there is probably a specific name for this type of hand in some styles and I apologize for not knowing what it is called. With a good stance and some practice you should be able to pop the log several feet into the air. Eventually you can work with a heavier log with a larger diameter. I have made a couple of these with various degrees of thickness out of pvc (because it is nice and smooth) and will fill them with sand and cap the ends for added weight. The rolling log conditions the arms, and the weight helps train a good root and strong stance. I also do this with my sandbags although the length is shorter, they are fairly round and straight and require a little more stabilization to keep balanced. When I add some of the internal elements of lung ying I can really launch whatever it is I am working with and sometimes just launch it fowards going for distance and height.

As with arm conditioning: train gradually, becareful of your wrists, and always use jow!

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 2:31pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a steel pipe with 50 pounds of shot. I roll and ging and catch it all the time.

I like metal over plastic.

After a few years most people will not be able to cause you much pain in the arms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 3:28pm

Style: Lung Ying Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    I have a steel pipe with 50 pounds of shot. I roll and ging and catch it all the time.
    Dale, you sir, are bad-ass!

I should append my post to recommend that if you use a "log" that it should be smooth. Splinters and/or bark suck.

My sifu always told me to watch out for a Jook Lum player's phoenix eye. We also use this at higher levels in lung ying. Any tips/drills for training this?

I agree with you about it being nice to not get hurt after doing some conditioning. It is also a good feeling when you can tell your conditioning level is higher when sparring or doing drills with a partner. I feel this can be a deterrant against further violence should someone decide to take a random swing at you. A block that is painful towards an opponent should be a good indication that they should back off....or else >:)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 8:32am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does that rolling pipe condition the entire arm, or just the inside? Or do you roll the arms over to do the other side?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 10:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I roll it on the top side of my arms and train to roll the pipe all the way down to my fingers to help train strength as well as ging power.

I train bottom, radial side as well as the top side of the arm.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, thanks. I'm gonna look for a pipe!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 3:34pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone have hid of this pipe routine? And where is the best place to buy shot of the proper size? Thanks fellow iron palmists!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 7:40am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Used to do similar myself, with lengths of dense wood like fence posts I have posted a vaguely amusing ( to me anyway ) video elsewhere of someone from my school doing these kinds of practices.

I stopped because I didn't rate the Jow we used ( oil based ) it also had bear bile in it.

I'll find the video..

Dale, at the beginning of April I will be placing my order ;)

Nick.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast