Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 4:03pm

Style: Western Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DimmedSum,

Can you say a little more about how you train your forearms? I'm getting back into muay thai next week and am thinking about adding shins and forearms to my routine.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brother,

I will be moving down to the Sarasota area of Florida in the next few years. My parents will be living there permanently soon.

When applying medicine you want to leave it on for at least 20 minutes. After that you can wash it off if you have too. I never do as I too love the smell and it actually helps me train better.

The bags I make are custom made and the material is made here in the USA.

Being that the liniment can act like a solvent I teach to avoid colored bags unless you know what the dye is from.

I have never had a reaction from the bags and have never had one complaint about them. No worries in that department.

As to your conditioning, you are doing the right thing by progressively training and using your Shifu's liniment. I have heard great things about his Dit Da Skills. When you train and condition your tissues they will change in appearance. As long as you are not having any pain or issue with circulation, nothing to worry about.'

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you for the kind words.

I am at your service.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 2:31pm

Style: Lung Ying Kung Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    DimmedSum,

Can you say a little more about how you train your forearms? I'm getting back into muay thai next week and am thinking about adding shins and forearms to my routine.
    Are you familiar with the "3 Star" type blocking excercises used by many traditional chinese styles? Hard to describe it in words, but I am sure there is a youtube vid out there that would give you the basic idea if not. I predominately do this exercise as it helps condition most of the forearm area (both sides and back). This can be done with a partner or by yourself with a hanging sandbag or stationary pole. I also add other strikes (punches, elbows, hammer type fist strikes) to further condition my knuckles and palms. My biggest advice, and I'm sure Dale would agree, is to start gradually if you are unaccustomed to this type of conditioning as you do not want to injure yourself. Using "medicine" or dit da jow, is also critical. It helps you heal quickly and I believe contributes to the effectiveness of the conditioning (my arms used to be like oak when I was training heavily). You also want to becareful when striking near the wrist on any side of your arm because this is a very sensitive area that is easily damaged regardless of your conditioning level. Admittedly I never did much shin conditioning and I advise you to be careful with this as well. One of the methods we used was to get essentially a rolling pin and roll downwards on the shin (always down--away from the heart). There are a lot of nerve endings in the shins and little padding between the skin and bone so shin conditioning can be a painful process. You can use the back of your fingers (between first and second knuckle when making a fist) and rub down your shin or forearm. This gives you great control over the amount of pressure you use and is good for working out deep bruises. Again it helps if you have a jow type of medicine for this process.

I like canvas type bags when making sand bags (I have been known to use a leg from an old pair of jeans with both ends tied, but I would heed Dale's advice on avoiding anything dyed if possible). You also want to make sure the sand is completely dry. I buy playground sand and will let it sit in the sun to make sure all moisture is out of it. If there is any moisture in the sand, you will not have a sand bag, you will have a concrete bag : ).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 2:39pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Brother,

I will be moving down to the Sarasota area of Florida in the next few years. My parents will be living there permanently soon.

As to your conditioning, you are doing the right thing by progressively training and using your Shifu's liniment. I have heard great things about his Dit Da Skills.
    No ****! Maybe it is destiny after all. I really liked the Sarasota area, I left for a variety of reasons, but I could see myself back there in the near future.

I guess there aren't too many Lung Ying teachers in FL, so I would guess that is how you figured that one out : ).(edit:I am an idiot disregard that haha) I would love to introduce you when you get down here, if you have not already met him in person--I think he would like that as well.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I understand that this is not always commonplace in kung fu, but I feel that without sharing, we are in danger of losing the essence of some really great arts.
    Last edited by DimmedSum; 3/22/2013 2:50pm at . Reason: I'm an idiot.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 8:55am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Life is short and the only real secret to MA training is to train and practice.

These skills take time and serious effort.

I have no problem wanting to share.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 3:24pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Da saam sing (hit three stars) can be done right or very, very wrong, and wrong is most of what you will see find on youtube, with guys whacking the hell out of each other's arms hundreds of times with no control over the correct points of contact (which like the name says, consists three specific target areas).

There is a really good reason why the Three Stars are where they are. (hint: how do you build a strong bridge?)

The concept is gradual, long term development of the cortical bone's ability to withstand shock without breaking, due to the bone's ability to become more shock absorbant through repeat microcortical fracturing.

So, any tissue struck other than muscle or bone during da saam sing is asking for trouble, in the form of bruising, internal bleeding, formation of blood clots, nerve damage, and other nasty tissue injuries.

Da saam sing seems on the surface like it's a quicky and easy way of training but done improperly (read: according to your level and without proper guidance), make sure you have good health insurance.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/23/2013 3:29pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 5:12am

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could anyone please post a clear and good video example what is proper Da Saam Sing and Iron Body conditioning?

I am quite curious about it, but I know enough to realise that with a total lack in expertise in this field, it's quite hard to separate the sheep from the goats

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 4:48pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff, as always, Rabbit. Nice vid too! I should have known better when I said "just check it out on the 'tube" : )

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Sorry, I accidentally down thumbed, that one. Ill make it right.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast