Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 4:18pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I have a different approach to this: use a little less jow.
    My understanding is that you want your hands to still feel damp with jow while you're striking, but I could be pulling that out of my ass.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    My understanding is that you want your hands to still feel damp with jow while you're striking, but I could be pulling that out of my ass.
    That would be a horrible reason to have damp hands..

How long have you been iron palming my lordbd?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 4:32pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    How long have you been iron palming my lordbd?
    Started in June 2012, with a total of probably 1 month of various little lay-offs due to travel or injury. No personal instruction, I just go by Dale's DVD.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Started in June 2012, with a total of probably 1 month of various little lay-offs due to travel or injury. No personal instruction, I just go by Dale's DVD.
    Cool thanks. If I start it will be the same for me. I'll have to join the IP Group on here then.

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 4:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, anyone who is doing or starting iron palm should join the iron palm group here on bullshido! There isn't enough discussion of practices, problems, or progress to be found on the web that is bullshit free.
    You noticed that too, huh? Funny thing though is the main person on sites that I see refuting the bullshit is Dale!! That's cool.

I just go by Dale's DVD.
    Yeah, my coach has been on me about doing body conditioning stuff. Most of it is banging arms and hands against each other(Japanese rooted stuff). It is pretty gruleing and leave the arms and hands sore for days. So I figured I would try out Dale's stuff when he posted this video. And try the gradual aproach.

I was gonna order a back and jow, but a Taiji friend had one he let me have. I'll have to get some more jow eventually though, and I see no reason to go anywhere but through Dale.

Oh, and I joined your group on here. Don't let me down. ;)
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 5:25pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Dale still sells the jow in bulk I'd recommend just getting a full gallon. It's a little expensive but mine has lasted me forever, I still have over half left, and it was a pain having to order a new bottle every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Oh, and I joined your group on here. Don't let me down. ;)

Hahaha let's keep in mind that Dale is the expert in this area, I'm just a fanboy who kept a training log for a while.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 6:06pm

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Yeah, my coach has been on me about doing body conditioning stuff. Most of it is banging arms and hands against each other(Japanese rooted stuff). It is pretty gruleing and leave the arms and hands sore for days.
    If you like to hit yourself (for training purposes...and I know I do), you could try tit bo sam (iron body/shirt)...under proper guidance. The concept is similar to tit sa jeurng, but it includes the body and limbs.

This kind of training is not for "new people" or people who aren't in the right condition for it, but my guess is you don't fit in those categories...the training consists of basically hard ("external") qigong endurance exercises, hitting the body with your arms, fists, and bags, and especially applying jow and healing properly.

I think that part is the part that gets lost in the translation..how important it is to BALANCE the conditioning with proper rehabilitation.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/21/2013 6:09pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 10:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rabbit would you recommend any books or Dvds for interested ppl?

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 10:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    If you like to hit yourself (for training purposes...and I know I do), you could try tit bo sam (iron body/shirt)...under proper guidance. The concept is similar to tit sa jeurng, but it includes the body and limbs.

This kind of training is not for "new people" or people who aren't in the right condition for it, but my guess is you don't fit in those categories...the training consists of basically hard ("external") qigong endurance exercises, hitting the body with your arms, fists, and bags, and especially applying jow and healing properly.

I think that part is the part that gets lost in the translation..how important it is to BALANCE the conditioning with proper rehabilitation.
    Yeah, I wouldn't call myself a noob, but all things are relative. I'll look into that. Thanks!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rabbit would you recommend any books or Dvds for interested ppl?
    Not really, with the exception of carefully explained videos like Dale's (because I can tell he cares enough to take a nice long 30m to show you something that takes seconds to actually do).

If I've learned anything, this is the type of training you need someone to carefully show you and yell at you when you do it stupidly.

It is a slow and patient process, as Dale stresses over and over in his excellent video.

My sifu in addition to being qualified to teach this stuff also happens to be ACE and NASM certified so I am particularly trusting of his methods....I can't imagine ever learning from a DVD.

It would be as bad as trying to learn Judo ukemi from DVD...you're just gonna hurt yourself.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/21/2013 11:00pm at .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast