Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 12:16pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    LOL.

Wow, what passive agressive logical fallacy laden post. What, the Goju center is full of dick headed assholes? What Martial Art center is going to worry about an internet/personal opinion on dressage, let alone do something about it?

No, I wouldn't change my mind.
    I've tried curling while fun, that **** is ridiculous.
    Badminton is fun, but that **** is ridiculous.
    Dressage, Badminton and curling should be gone, wrestling should stay.

Dressage is one of the highest displays of horsemanship skill that you can engage in. It would have been highly prized by the greeks and belongs in the games.

Badmiton, speed walking, ribbon twirling, synchronized swimming.... there are dozens of "sports" that have no place in the games, but the equestrian events are fully in the characteristic of demonstrating a display of serious skill in a relevant discipline.

Superior horsemanship could literally be the difference between life and death at the time the games were originated, so don't **** with Dressage.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would love it more than anything if someone went to this Canadian karate dojo, told them how stupid dressage was, was beaten up with their backfists and kiais, went to the police, became part of a battery case in court, and was picked up by the local paper, which included quotes from the dojo owner about how they had to kick his ass for disrespecting dressage online.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Dressage is one of the highest displays of horsemanship skill that you can engage in.
    Probably not as high as Fancy Horseback Wrestling, though.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dressage is one of the highest displays of horsemanship skill that you can engage in. It would have been highly prized by the greeks and belongs in the games.
    Wrestling was highly prized by the greeks, but they are taking it out. So on that logic, it definitely should be out.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 1:01pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Wrestling was highly prized by the greeks, but they are taking it out. So on that logic, it definitely should be out.
    Wrestling also belongs in the games, which was the focus of this thread in the first place. So, hush you.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 3:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will disagree.

Badmiton, speed walking, ribbon twirling, synchronized swimming.... there are dozens of "sports" that have no place in the games,
    Remove synchronized swimming, which I can use in the broad sense you did with dressage and we will agree.

but the equestrian events are fully in the characteristic of demonstrating a display of serious skill in a relevant discipline.
    Nice move with the goal post. I said dressage, you just expanded it to all equestrian events. I actually watch the other equestrian events and like all, but dressage.

Superior horsemanship could literally be the difference between life and death at the time the games were originated, so don't **** with Dressage.
    Yes and they weren't doing dressage on the battlefield.
    Dressage=Synchronize swimming. If synchro can go so can dressage.
    Kintanon start crying.......now.

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 6:20pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I will disagree.

Remove synchronized swimming, which I can use in the broad sense you did with dressage and we will agree.

Nice move with the goal post. I said dressage, you just expanded it to all equestrian events. I actually watch the other equestrian events and like all, but dressage.

Yes and they weren't doing dressage on the battlefield.
    Dressage=Synchronize swimming. If synchro can go so can dressage.
    Kintanon start crying.......now.

You fail! Dressage is the event which requires the most perfect control over the horse. Dressage actually was a battlefield skill. The ability to guide the horse through complex movements without anything more than subtle leg pressure because you had a sword in one hand and a shield in the other. Can't be fucking with reins in the middle of battle. It actually is directly combat applicable horsemanship.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 6:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You fail! Dressage is the event which requires the most perfect control over the horse. Dressage actually was a battlefield skill. The ability to guide the horse through complex movements without anything more than subtle leg pressure because you had a sword in one hand and a shield in the other. Can't be fucking with reins in the middle of battle. It actually is directly combat applicable horsemanship.
    Kintanon has the correct regarding dressage. Also, it's almost as boring to watch (if you don't understand it) as Judo or wrestling.

I will say this though, women who are serious dressage riders (and I've known two...) are serious athletes. Crack your pelvis type strength ...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 6:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dated a dressage athlete for a while—she also did hunting, a related horse sport. Pelvis was craaaazy.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2013 9:50am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But if the greeks would have wanted dressage in the games, why didn't they have it in the games? I mean, they had hourses in the games, racing them. I beleive(because I read it here ) that the games were created to honor the gods, not to display battlefield expertise. They also sacrifices a bunch of animals, but we aren't doing that.

Since Xenophon wrote treatises on horsemanship in 350BC, it stands to reason that the ancient greeks were knowledgable on horsemanship and their aplication to warfare. And if they thought that ability was relevant to the Olympic games, then they would have added it.

I personally am an Olympic purest, and believe we should go back to animal sacrifice and only the original contests. Oh, and women shouldn't be allowed to watch either. The good old days!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2013 12:51pm

Style: Jujitsu Aikido Bodycombat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Wrestling should be in the Olympics and it's ridiculous to take it out. It's one of the few original sports still there and one of the few I enjoy watching. There's plenty of other crap that shouldn't be there. I.E. Anything that's a game (Golf, football, tennis, etc...) as opposed to a sport (athletics, gymnastics, combat sports, etc). If the activity can fit at the end of the sentence "Lets play a game of..." and still make sense, it's a game.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast