Wushu??? Seriously!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 4:20am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I thought it was quite entertaining

What does it tell us?

The IOC believes Chinas' star is acending and Americas' is decending?
    The IOC still gets most of its money from US television conglomerates, which bid against each other massively on the Olympics, planning to lose substantial money even while airing hundreds of hours of coverage over several different channels (for London, not counting massive online streaming, which took its coverage over 5300 hours, NBC aired over 1800 hours of coverage on its own network, NBC Sports Network (which was essentially launched as NBC Sports Network off of the Games), its MSNBC news channel, its CNBC business news channel, Telemundo -- its Spanish language channel, Bravo -- a channel that airs mostly reality television and is marketed toward women and gay men, plus two special temporary channels devoted to playing nothing but the soccer matches and basketball. Each of the channels was assigned events thought to attract the desired viewers to the channel, and its regular programming is endlessly hyped throughout coverage. So, CNBC (business news) showed endless boxing, to attract well-off men, who (it was hoped) would then become CNBC viewers after the Olympics, and so on across the board.

To give some idea of the difference US television money makes to the IOC, the Chinese company CCTV was reported as having paid the equivalent of $100,000,000 for the Broadcast rights to the 2010 Vancouver games and the 2012 London games combined. For the same two events, NBC Universal paid about $2,200,000,000. And despite losing hundreds of millions of dollars on that deal when balancing costs versus ad revenues, NBC Universal outbid Fox's US entity and ABC / ESPN for the US broadcast rights for the next for events at the same rate: about $1 billion each for winter games and $1.2 billion each for summer.

Unfortunately, this means that US TV ratings are indirectly a big deal to the IOC, and NBC has a long-standing policy about what to show in the Summer Games in Prime Time on the NBC network itself (which is when and where the biggest ratings by far will always be). Gymnastics, swimming, and the sprints in track are the magic events. Pre-taped is good, because you can manufacture the drama you want and make sure to focus things on the Americans regardless of the way the events actually played out. Now that they can say that those who want to watch other events can find them in the middle of the night on their website or on a cable channel, the best coverage most other sports can expect is a short clip and a bit of the medal ceremony, if an American medaled (or someone with a good sob story). Fluff pieces about local culture; "human interest pieces" showing how much the athletes have overcome / sacrificed or how shitty things are in other countries or how it is hard to become a swimming star in a war-torn desert country (not to mention pointless, and they certainly don't), but it is so wonderful that this kid has wasted all of his family's resources on satisfying his selfish whim to go to the Olympics and finish 65th in a field of 64; and endless navel-gazing by smug sportscasters are all *MUCH* better ways to fill air time than showing anything other than Gymnastics, Swimming, or Track. Even field events like high jump, pole vault, and decathlon have mostly dropped off the coverage. Of course, Beach Volleyball does get coverage, especially because Americans do well at that, in bikinis. But that's usually after Prime Time, so Dad can watch alone... And when the US is winning in Basketball or Soccer/Football, that gets coverage.

The point here, though, is that the US TV ratings for a great many sports have no chance to be anything other than terrible, because they were shown while people were asleep or at work, not replayed during prime time, not mentioned during the main telecasts or promoted in any significant way, and not on the more popular channels. I'm sure archery didn't draw big numbers. It took a lot of work to find so that I could watch it. The same was true for wrestling, judo, weightlifting, etc. Every time Michael Phelps was going to dampen a toe or one of the US gymnasts had a feeling flit through her nutrition-deprived brain, it was trumpeted as though Justin Bieber were giving birth to the Pope's love child. But for lots of the sports that weren't NBC's darlings, they were buried in the vast amount of coverage. This leaves the IOC free to dump many sports on the grounds that they are poor revenue generators, whatever the real reasons the IOC doesn't like them are. With the IOC, they usually seem to be internal politics and bribery.

The China contract was reported here:
    http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/c...ames_in_china/

The US contracts have been reported in a ton of places.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 9:10am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Sorry Chuck

I only made it half way through

But the first half was well written and interesting

While i can not disagree with your point of view now, how is the world going to look in 8 years

USA's fiscal woes don't seem to be getting any better so will the US networks have the cash to throw around fo 2020?

Strategic **** dude
    NBC Universal bid $4.4 billion for 2014 winter, 2016 summer, 2018 winter, 2020 summer. They'll have the money as long as the rest of the world keeps shelling out to see crappy movies of stuff blowing up. Our stock market has already recovered. Our corporations are doing quite well for the most part. It's just that our recovery hasn't reached us common folk so far.

By the way, I'm not denying that in the big picture, your view looks to be the trend of what will happen in the world economy over the coming decades. And India waits in the wings. It's just that for the IOC until someone else is as dumb as US TV, I suspect petty IOC politics and bribery drive the IOC within what US TV will accept.
    Last edited by ChuckWepner; 2/14/2013 9:19am at .

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 10:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some at work were saying that this had something to do with upcoming oh-limp-pricks in South America, and that it was meant "to create openings for BJJ or MMA".

I pointed out to those saying this that:

1) No application to include MMA in the gaymz has been made (or gone very far if it has been made).

and

2) As far as I can tell, nobody who is interested in combat sports of any kind (BJJ and MMA included) is anything but livid at the dropping of wrestling as a core sport.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double post bug strikes again.

On that note, here is a great comp of Beijing 2008 wrestling

R.I.P.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kabaddi is such a weird sport. I'm not quite sure if its badass war-wrestling or an elaborate hand holding contest.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 9:32pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Now with extraneous vocabulary!

Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    R.I.P. (wrestling)
    Don't be so dramatic. Nothing's over until the corpulent female intonates harmoniously.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 11:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Kabaddi is such a weird sport. I'm not quite sure if its badass war-wrestling or an elaborate hand holding contest.
    The Wiki page says it can also be played in the pool. Given how nasty things get under the surface in Water Polo, one can only imagine.

It's reminiscent of "Red Rover" and similar childhood games I remember that focused on knocking someone down, breaking through a line of people holding hands, etc.

Posted On:
    2/15/2013 9:07am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    It's reminiscent of "Red Rover" and similar childhood games I remember that focused on knocking someone down, breaking through a line of people holding hands, etc.
    That was exactly my thought - a schoolyard game (and yes, Red Rover occurred to me too). It's got all those elements, with the lack of specialized equipment, any field really will do, and stuff like chanting "kabbadi" as long as possible on one breath ...

It's just funny to see that elevated to international sport. Shades of Monty Python's international hide and go seek competition.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast