Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 11:09am

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really see much of an advantage in any of the bar placements for squats. High bar, low bar, front squat, whatever, just do squats. Rippitoes explaination for why low bar is better doesn't exactly convince me and I've heard arguments for all 3. So I just switch from time to time. Right now I'm on front squats.

And I'll reiterate the concensus here. The programs are very similar, pick one and stick to it. Although, power cleans are better than rows.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 11:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really see much of an advantage in any of the bar placements for squats. High bar, low bar, front squat, whatever, just do squats. Rippitoes explaination for why low bar is better doesn't exactly convince me and I've heard arguments for all 3. So I just switch from time to time. Right now I'm on front squats.

And I'll reiterate the concensus here. The programs are very similar, pick one and stick to it. Although, power cleans are better than rows.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 11:50am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 1:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn’t fucking matter. Seriously. A few weeks ago a kid asked me what muscles an assistance exercise I was doing worked, and I briefly explained it, but followed it up with, “But you really only need to be squatting. Don’t worry about this other ****.”
    Yea, that about sums it up.

Also, we had our own discussion about bar placement here on Bullshido
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52693

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Squat Machine

Well, I've just acquired a copy of Starting Strength 3rd Edition and; after reviewing it more, I'm wondering if that's a bit too much on the shoulders for someone who will be only just recovered from a shoulder injury. I will likely stick to StrongLifts for now, as I feel it will allow me to strengthen my shoulder more before advancing, with minimal risk of reinjury, unless someone gives me good reason not to worry about it.

Having said that, what are some views on advancing past these novice programs? Rest period between switching workouts? Advanced strength training workouts? Obviously, it will be a while before I do this, I just want some ideas for the future.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 4:49pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Well, I've just acquired a copy of Starting Strength 3rd Edition and; after reviewing it more, I'm wondering if that's a bit too much on the shoulders for someone who will be only just recovered from a shoulder injury. I will likely stick to StrongLifts for now, as I feel it will allow me to strengthen my shoulder more before advancing, with minimal risk of reinjury, unless someone gives me good reason not to worry about it.

Having said that, what are some views on advancing past these novice programs? Rest period between switching workouts? Advanced strength training workouts? Obviously, it will be a while before I do this, I just want some ideas for the future.
    Tradition has it that after you finish your linear progression you move on to intermediate programs like Texas Method and Madcow 5x5 or Bill Starr whatever you wanna call it.

Advanced programs are usually customized because when you're that advanced you know what to do.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 11:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ok, so as stated before, I'm going to continue StrongLifts until it stops working and my shoulder is strengthened to the point I am comfortable doing more advanced exercises like power cleans. Having said that, I really want to do cleans and need to be able to keep my workout time to a minimum. So I have been toying with some ideas, here's what I came up with:

Workout A
    Squats 5x5
    Chinup 3xfailure
    Bench 5x5

Workout B
    Power Clean 5x3
    Deadlift 1x5

Strength would still be the main goal. I would be following the same guidelines as StrongLifts, add 5 lbs every week, 3 days a week, yada yada (intermediate level). I'm not sure what, or if, to add to B day. I was trying not to overwork the shoulders as they're one of the smaller muscle groups (from what I've heard).

Can anyone offer up some advice here?
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 11:46am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so as stated before, I'm going to continue StrongLifts until it stops working and my shoulder is strengthened to the point I am comfortable doing more advanced exercises like power cleans. Having said that, I really want to do cleans and need to be able to keep my workout time to a minimum. So I have been toying with some ideas, here's what I came up with:

Workout A
    Squats 5x5
    Chinup 3xfailure
    Bench 5x5

Workout B
    Power Clean 5x3
    Deadlift 1x5

Strength would still be the main goal. I would be following the same guidelines as StrongLifts, add 5 lbs every week, 3 days a week, yada yada (intermediate level). I'm not sure what, or if, to add to B day. I was trying not to overwork the shoulders as they're one of the smaller muscle groups (from what I've heard).

I started Stronglift a month or so ago and so far have loved it (I started most at 135 instead of just the bar). During my off days, I train with two friends who used to be competitive power lifters. We basically do a bunch of form drills to help with primary exercises and counter work to ensure we keep a balanced body. Plus, I'll throw in a band/chain/medicine ball + body weight workout in there to just smoke myself every once in a while. And then just listen to my body. If I finish a 5x5 day and, say, my biceps are just asking for a pump I'll do some cleans/21's, or whatever.

I pretty much never do just one set of DL. I don't always do 5x5, but sometimes I'll mix it up. Maybe do continually increasing weight, x1 or x2 reps as much as I can. Not too failure...at least not frequently...but to near failure. At this stage I am stopping when my form breaks down too much. When that happens I will sometimes work back down, ladder style, dropping weight and reps. Its a cool feeling working from, say, 315, and working your way down to 135 and you can't even feel the weight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 12:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Workout A
    Squats 5x5
    Chinup 3xfailure
    Bench 5x5

Workout B
    Power Clean 5x3
    Deadlift 1x5

What are you doing benching with an injured shoulder and not overhead pressing? Ask anyone how they injured their shoulders and they'll tell you bench.

Why aren't you squatting both workouts?

Why do you have PC and Deadlifts on the same day? They are very similar.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 1:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    What are you doing benching with an injured shoulder and not overhead pressing? Ask anyone how they injured their shoulders and they'll tell you bench.
    I'm still only squatting. This is just planning for when I move past the novice stage of this workout. My goal will still be strength, so should I sub overhead press with bench and add pushups?

Why aren't you squatting both workouts?
    I would be. I want to follow StrongLifts guidelines to a T, I just want to change around some exercises I think are more beneficial.

Why do you have PC and Deadlifts on the same day? They are very similar.
    Well, it's either that or have one of them on squat day lol. I figure I should separate PC and squats as they are both pretty taxing, and since PC works upper back while DL works lower, I thought I'd have them on the same day.
    Start a training log!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast